• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest way to travel from london zone to maidenhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rithesh2000

Hello people, I am living in Forest Gate (London zone 3) and am planning to travel to maidenhead for work. I would like to know the cheapest monthly rates for travel. Currently I am using the London zone 1-3 ticket and then a separate ticket from London paddington to Maidenhead . I can buy the monthly pass or annual pass but was wondering if there is a cheaper option where I can buy one pass which is valid from maidenhead to all london terminals. Can somebody tell me the cost and the best way to get the cheapest rate. I will be travelling on peak hours as my work timings are 9-5pm at maidenhead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nicobobinus

You should be able to buy a straight 'combined' Maidenhead to London Zones 1-6 travelcard season ticket and commute on it from Forest Gate to Maidenhead and back each day - I don't think there is a stipulation that means you can't use it in the opposite direction to that primarily intended. Others on the forum will be more knowledgeable on this and can advise. This costs £354.40 a month vs the £423.90 you'll be spending on the two tickets you're using at the moment so quite a saving.

There are other ways to get the cost down even further but they would involve changing onto the Overground at Stratford and crawling round zone 2. Forest Gate to Maidenhead is a long enough commute as it is so unless you're really keen I wouldn't bother.

Rithesh2000

You should be able to buy a straight 'combined' Maidenhead to London Zones 1-6 travelcard season ticket and commute on it from Forest Gate to Maidenhead and back each day - I don't think there is a stipulation that means you can't use it in the opposite direction to that primarily intended. Others on the forum will be more knowledgeable on this and can advise. This costs £354.40 a month vs the £423.90 you'll be spending on the two tickets you're using at the moment so quite a saving.

There are other ways to get the cost down even further but they would involve changing onto the Overground at Stratford and crawling round zone 2. Forest Gate to Maidenhead is a long enough commute as it is so unless you're really keen I wouldn't bother.
Thank you for your help. Currently I have taken the zone 1-3 travel card and then a separate pass from London paddington to maidenhead. I just came accords this forum and I thought of asking you guys. Does that mean all I should ask for is a monthly pass from London zone 1-6 to Maidenhead and return which would cost as you said £354.40. Can you tell me which website would give me information about this. I must say you have helped me save lot of money. If I go to London paddington can I buy it from there ? Apologies for asking as I am new to the area .

Thanks

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If you already have a Zones 1-3 Travelcard then you should only need a Maidenhead - Zones 4-6 Travelcard for the remainder of the validity of your current ticket. The latter is only available in a weekly, or a period season between 1 month and 1 year in duration.

When does your current Zones 1-3 Travelcard expire?

Rithesh2000

If you already have a Zones 1-3 Travelcard then you should only need a Maidenhead - Zones 4-6 Travelcard for the remainder of the validity of your current ticket. The latter is only available in a weekly, or a period season between 1 month and 1 year in duration.

When does your current Zones 1-3 Travelcard expire?
Hello i have a monthly zone 1-3 pass expiring end of this month. I thought Maidenhead(Berkshire), does not come within the London 1-6 zones. I checked on the TFL website and did not show up.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hello i have a monthly zone 1-3 pass expiring end of this month. I thought Maidenhead(Berkshire), does not come within the London 1-6 zones. I checked on the TFL website and did not show up.

Maidenhead is not in zones 1-6, so you get an out-boundary travelcard instead. A quirk of the system means that the out-boundary station has to be shown as the origin, hence Maidenhead to London zones 1-6, but as with all unrestricted* season tickets it can be used either way round. The amount above the ticket to London terminals is usually less than a zone 1-2 travelcard so it is rarely worth buying two tickets.

*Early Bird seasons which can only be used towards London before the high peak is an example of a restricted season. There aren't many.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
When do you need to start travelling to Maidenhead?

Rithesh2000

Maidenhead is not in zones 1-6, so you get an out-boundary travelcard instead. A quirk of the system means that the out-boundary station has to be shown as the origin, hence Maidenhead to London zones 1-6, but as with all unrestricted* season tickets it can be used either way round. The amount above the ticket to London terminals is usually less than a zone 1-2 travelcard so it is rarely worth buying two tickets.

*Early Bird seasons which can only be used towards London before the high peak is an example of a restricted season. There aren't many.
Thanks a lot. I would save lot of money as all I have to do it book a out- Boundary monthly pass from maidenhead to London zone 1-6. Do you think I can buy the ticket from the website of should I get it from the station ticket offices?. I will be starting my journey permanently to Maidenhead from April . As mentioned earlier in the second post the price of this monthly pass is £ 354.40. Can you please let me know from which website I can get this information from to confirm about the price ??

Crossover

Established Member
Unfortunately, I don't believe they will be available online, but will have to be purchased through a ticket office or similar

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's best purchased at a station. You'll need a photocard as the season ticket will be issued on paper rather than Oyster.

The photocard is issued free (if you haven't already got one) although you'll need to supply a passport sized photo.

If you buy an annual season ticket then it will be issued as a Gold Card. If this is too much for you in one go then buy odd period monthly tickets if you don't need to travel at weekends.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.