• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest way: Todmorden to London & return on a saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can anyone advise me of the cheapest possible way to travel from Todmorden to London and back on the same day. It will be a saturday. I'm not fussed about the route or times. I would need at least 5/6 hours inbetween as I intend to travel on tube trains all day. (Usind a travelcard, valid on tube, bus, NR, DLR, tram?) At the moment I am unable to commit to a date. If I am able to commit to a date then I will let you know and consider advances.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'm 15 so child fares.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
The cheapest way without knowing a date is :

Off peak day return Todmorden to Manchester Stations route any permitted :£7.70
Off peak day return Manchester to Stoke On Trent route Virgin Trains only : £10.00
Super off peak return Stoke On Trent to London Terminals route London Midland only : £24.50

total cost : £42.20 all prices given above are adult prices. And then the cost of a London zone 1 -6 travelcard priced at £8.50.

bnm

Established Member
Possible cheaper way if you can book in advance.

Todmorden - Manchester Piccadilly Off Peak Day Return £7.70
Manchester Piccadilly - Zones 1-6 Super Off Peak Day Travelcard (Virgin Only*) £36.70

Total £44.40

*Available Saturdays only, quota controlled and reservation required on the outward train. Bookable (subject to availability) up to 1800 day before travel. Return to Manchester by any Virgin service. Earlier you book the better the choice of outward services.

Last edited:

dzug2

There is a Virgin superoffpeak day travelcard on a Saturday - price £36.70 from Manchester. You do I believe have to book at least the outward journey in advance.

Includes zones 1-6 travel so no need for a separate travelcard

Sorry...forgot to say, I'm 15 so elegible for child fares.

bnm

Established Member
In that case forget the Virgin only Travelcard. No child rate for that. Just half the prices quoted by sonic2009.

Useful to provide all information in the OP about the person travelling. Would've saved me wasting time researching a fare that has no child discount. :roll:

Might just commit a date and book advances then, or get a Virgin travelcard anyway. I'm certainly not sitting on the stopper from Stoke to London. Is there anyway I can get it reasonably cheap on Virgin/EC which gets me to London before lunchtime?

IanD

Established Member
Depends what you mean by reasonably cheap!

Advances from Piccadilly-London can be got for £6 each way if you're lucky. Add about £4 (single or return from Todmorden).

Or from Todmorden - Kings X from £7.30 each way. Leave Toddy on the 0626 to Leeds and you can be in that London for 1030.

Or mix and match and go out to King's Cross and return from Euston or VV.

Add up to £7.60 for a U16 one day paper travelcard (z1-9), cheaper for fewer zones, either way.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

£7.60 would get you Z1-9+Watford Junction, so probably a £4.30 U16 z1-9 would be better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.