• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Checking tickets when passengers change trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Northern staff were alternating between P3/4 arrivals at Sheffield today.

I'm not entirely sure what it achieved as it just caused a buildup of crowds and the people who actually didn't have tickets were shoving past the staff and giving them some choice language, shall we say.

No PFs or suchlike issued at all from my observations so vast majority are still paying.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gsnedders

Established Member
Other places where you have to go through barriers/checks to access certain platforms are Cardiff, Shrewsbury and Glasgow Queen St. (and Central come to think of it)
Glasgow Queen Street as long as I've known you could avoid needing to go through any barriers by taking the lift! More recently, since the station started getting rebuilt there's a new entrance to the westerly stairs down to Low Level from opposite platform 2, so there's never any need to go through barriers.

London Euston is another clear example, as is Waterloo. Many of terminuses have gates per platform pair.

theironroad

Established Member
Glasgow Queen Street as long as I've known you could avoid needing to go through any barriers by taking the lift! More recently, since the station started getting rebuilt there's a new entrance to the westerly stairs down to Low Level from opposite platform 2, so there's never any need to go through barriers.

London Euston is another clear example, as is Waterloo. Many of terminuses have gates per platform pair.

Not certain if I've understood you correctly but Waterloo doesn't have gates per platform pair. Apart from a couple of retail units & underground entrance the gates stretch from platform 1 to 19

gsnedders

Established Member
Not certain if I've understood you correctly but Waterloo doesn't have gates per platform pair. Apart from a couple of retail units & underground entrance the gates stretch from platform 1 to 19
Yeah, my post was somewhat grammatically ambiguous. Waterloo isn't like that, but it does have places where you have to re-enter barriers (e.g., going to the former International platforms).

theironroad

Established Member
Yeah, my post was somewhat grammatically ambiguous. Waterloo isn't like that, but it does have places where you have to re-enter barriers (e.g., going to the former International platforms).

Indeed, that would be the only place and that's only if they've now closed the access between 19 and 20 which was in temporary use while they reconfigured the international. Not sure if it's still open or not.

It's possible to go through barriers at platform 1 and not have to exit until reaching 19, although quite a detour between 11&12 behind Boots half way to Vauxhall :)

D6975

Established Member
Just thought of another station where you routinely have to go through two barriers to change trains - London Victoria. The station is in two halves, a change from the southeastern platforms to/from the southcentral platforms goes through two barriers.

Barnsley

I had a problem at Bath on Friday, travelling on First group boxes, the bloke on the barrier was adamant it wasn’t valid, I said ‘you will have one of these’, he checked his wallet, found his boxes and let me out!!

theironroad

Established Member
I had a problem at Bath on Friday, travelling on First group boxes, the bloke on the barrier was adamant it wasn’t valid, I said ‘you will have one of these’, he checked his wallet, found his boxes and let me out!!

Why did he claim they weren't valid?

Probably lucky he must have been gwr staff rather than agency staff that often staff gate lines as they won't have any.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Indeed, that would be the only place and that's only if they've now closed the access between 19 and 20 which was in temporary use while they reconfigured the international. Not sure if it's still open or not.

It's possible to go through barriers at platform 1 and not have to exit until reaching 19, although quite a detour between 11&12 behind Boots half way to Vauxhall :)

The hole in the wall between 19/20 is very much still there.

robbeech

Established Member
Why did he claim they weren't valid?

Likely because staff are taught to be revenue focussed rather than passenger focussed so many will operate a reject by default policy in their minds.
If they know what it is and know it’s valid, let them through, if they don’t know what it is or know but don’t know if it’s valid they default to rejecting it. Only those with a keen interest will continue to look things up and further their own knowledge.

TUC

Established Member
Likely because staff are taught to be revenue focussed rather than passenger focussed so many will operate a reject by default policy in their minds.
If they know what it is and know it’s valid, let them through, if they don’t know what it is or know but don’t know if it’s valid they default to rejecting it. Only those with a keen interest will continue to look things up and further their own knowledge.
'Keen interest'. You mean the kind of ticket validity checking that just about anyone can do online within around 20 seconds now?

robbeech

Established Member
'Keen interest'. You mean the kind of ticket validity checking that just about anyone can do online within around 20 seconds now?
Yes. There are a number of staff that wouldn’t entertain this idea because they don’t want to come across as if there are gaps in their knowledge. It has potential to be more rewarding for their employer and possibly even for themselves if they reject so this is the default.

Steddenm

At Partick yesterday they were running ticket checks at the barrier. Revenue protection were also checking on entry to the Subway for SPT as the gates were stuck open.

There was also revenue protection at Wemyss Bay Station on Sunday but the ferry was busy too so that could be why.

TUC

Established Member
Yes. There are a number of staff that wouldn’t entertain this idea because they don’t want to come across as if there are gaps in their knowledge. It has potential to be more rewarding for their employer and possibly even for themselves if they reject so this is the default.
It would be very normal for ticket office staff to check their systrms in response to a passenger query, and they do not appear to be worried about this coming across as gaps in their knowledge. Some platform staff must be very insecure.

Status
Not open for further replies.