• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

flymo

Established Member
Favourite cheese - Double Gloucester followed by Red Leicester with a slice or three of Mature Cheddar coming in a respectable third.

Fancy a slice of cheese on toast now but the cupboards bare Gromit....!!

Badger

I can't stand blue cheese, although try it in a savoury crumble on top of a red onion tart, it's really nice.. mainly because you can't taste the cheese at all...

Cheese I actually eat? Wednesleydale and other Cheshires, Feta, Double Gloucester, Cheddar in the right things, Mozerella, Marscapone. Anything more expensive than that is pointless, like wine, IMO, unless you're eating it on it's own on a cheese board.

Butts

Veteran Member
I can't stand blue cheese, although try it in a savoury crumble on top of a red onion tart, it's really nice.. mainly because you can't taste the cheese at all...

Cheese I actually eat? Wednesleydale and other Cheshires, Feta, Double Gloucester, Cheddar in the right things, Mozerella, Marscapone. Anything more expensive than that is pointless, like wine, IMO, unless you're eating it on it's own on a cheese board.

Marscapone in Wolverhampton ......you must shop at Beatties :p

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Cheddar (in general) is my favourite cheese. I am also fond of Dutch cheeses such as Edam etc. 'Mouldy cheeses' for me are an absolute no-no.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Favorite cheese for me has to be a nice bit of Red Hot Dutch, although I do tend to step it down to Mexicana for my packed lunch!

Biscuit has to be the Cornish Wafer, side benefit is that they don't make much racket while watching a film.

Recipe has to be 3Cs, chips, chilli and cheese; when I lived in the midlands I developed a bit of a habbit of having this from the pub on the way home from my saturday job!

Established Member
Jarlsberg is quite nice.

Nothing beats a bit of cheddar on some freshly-sliced bread, few splashes of Hendersons Relish and under the grill for a few minutes.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Jarlsberg is quite nice.
Ah! So that's why there was none left in Morrisons today!
Yes, I agree with that.

Red Leicester is a regular for me, along with varied blue cheeses (from Stilton to Saint Agur), an occasional Brie, and smoked cheeses. But if I can stray into cooking in general, one of the simplest dishes to bake is half cheese: It's simply equal proportions of artichoke hearts mixed with mozarella and then sprinked with garlic and parmesan. Plugs leaks in all known blood vessels. You could add a tomato or two for color, but they won't reduce the effectiveness of lining of the arteries!

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Jarlsberg is quite nice.

Nothing beats a bit of cheddar on some freshly-sliced bread, few splashes of Hendersons Relish and under the grill for a few minutes.

I wasn't too struck on Jarlsberg, couldn't put my finger on what I didn't like tho!

I'll raise you cheese on toast with a splash of Worcestershire Sauce!

Established Member
Hendersons Relish is much better!

Dave, went into Morrisons earlier on and also didn't see any, so someone else must have a penchant for it.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Dave, went into Morrisons earlier on and also didn't see any, so someone else must have a penchant for it.
Drat!
It was my old father who intoduced me to it - but he's long gone, so there must be another fan out there! That's three of us, then, and Morrison's only provide shelf space for about 2 kilos!
I saw that there was pre-sliced Jarlsberg on a lower shelf, thin as paper, but I wasn't going to faff with that! When you eat cheese, then you need substance!

And while I'm on, a good combination of a soft cheese, a blue cheese, and a rich mush, has to be Dolce Latta. Buy half a kilo and spread it thick!

Zamracene749

Morrisons are stocking Cornish blue at the moment, it's young and sweet absolutely magnificent if you like blue cheese.

Just finished off some Spanish Picos blue with some Westons cider and Wiltshire ham, very nice :)

Got some Reblochon to go at next, but if I had to pick a favourite it would be a rind washed cheese such as Epoisses, Stinking Bishop or Munster.....mmmmmm....

Don't tell my doctor though!

Clip

Established Member
Black Bomber cheese is lovely but im generally a hard cheese man,.

Michael.Y

Established Member
Also being in the cheddar camp, a few I can recommend: Colliers (interspersed with salt crystals to give it a pleasant crunch), weirdly I also like Tesco Value White Cheddar. Davidstow is my favourite. When in Wales, get some Y Fenni, and when on Vectis/IoW, get some Gallybagger.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
i absolutely love cheese when its melted over anything i just cant eat it on its own but absolutely love it on things like cottage pie or chips mmmmm

The 375 King

Random discussion time....

What is your favourite type of cheese? I like St. Agur or a nice Camembert. That said, I like most cheese!

Any bizarre recipes / food ideas for cheese? I like a jacket spud with mushy peas and brie melted on top - weird! Don't knock it until you tried it!!

Crackerbarrel

philjo

Established Member
Hawes Wensleydale is the no 1 choice and also the one with cranberries in it. Essential for serving with Christmas cake !
I also like Swaledale - though harder to get hold of in the south - the cheese stall on Cambridge Market usually stocks it. It is a firmer cheese than Wensleydale. Both are also available in sheeps milk varieties.
White cheshire and red leicester also good for a change.

Shropshire Blue - I like to use this for cooking with. It makes a very yellow cheese sauce!
I find Stilton too rich. & don't like any soft cheeses such as brie.

Random discussion time....

What is your favourite type of cheese? I like St. Agur or a nice Camembert. That said, I like most cheese!

Any bizarre recipes / food ideas for cheese? I like a jacket spud with mushy peas and brie melted on top - weird! Don't knock it until you tried it!!

British cheeses: Wensleydale,Lancashire and Caboc.
Foreign: Portsalut and Limburger

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Everytime I read this thread, I just want some cheese.

Enjoyed a nice bit of St Agur at the weekend, and some surprisingly delicious Garlic Roulé.

As normal - all accompanied by some plain crackers, a nice selection of fruit and some Port!

Oswyntail

Established Member
Wensleydale - king of cheeses - and a good proper Cheddar for the English side
Another for PortSalut, and Pie de L'Angloys from abroad.
I am also partial to Boursin as a snack.
Water biscuits or Ryvita

Status
Not open for further replies.