• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Random discussion time....

What is your favourite type of cheese? I like St. Agur or a nice Camembert. That said, I like most cheese!

Any bizarre recipes / food ideas for cheese? I like a jacket spud with mushy peas and brie melted on top - weird! Don't knock it until you tried it!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
I'm pretty straightforward when it comes to cheese, either a good cheddar or some feta in a salad does it for me.

Yew

Established Member
A good quality mature cheddar is hard to beat, however my favorite is any that comes with red wine :)

SS4

Established Member
cheese-gromit-a-s.gif

I like cheddar but I can't stand eating it on anything

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm a big fan of blue cheese, my favourite being St Agur but also a good Danish Blue or Stilton. There's also something to be said for a nice smoked cheese, a good cheddar and a well ripened piece of Brie. In fact, if it's cheese I'll usually eat it - normally accompanied by a glass of wine or port ;)

There's one that sticks in my mind that I'd tell anyone to avoid though, it's supposed to be one of the world's best cheeses (according to a Times article I read a few years ago) but is one of the foulest things I've ever eaten. So, I present to you Banon Cheese.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Any bizarre recipes / food ideas for cheese?

Actually, thinking about it - one of the simplest dishes I know is to get a piece of Camembert and some cherry tomatoes. Stick the tomatoes in a dish and put the cheese on top, and put them in the oven and let the cheese melt. Eat with crusty bread. Delicious!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
On a related subject - What's your favourite biscuit-for-cheese ?

Mine's the hovis one :)

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Actually, thinking about it - one of the simplest dishes I know is to get a piece of Camembert and some cherry tomatoes. Stick the tomatoes in a dish and put the cheese on top, and put them in the oven and let the cheese melt. Eat with crusty bread. Delicious!

That does sound very nice - yum!

Butts

Veteran Member
I've always been partial to a bit of "Danish Blue":oops:

Stilton, Cheshire and a good Cheddar....

Anything but that "plastic crap" that constitutes most supermarket varieties

Incidentally isn't cheese expensive - you cut a fair wedge off and your probably chucking a quid in your gob :p

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Any Extra Mature or Vintage Cheddar, I find anything weaker bland and tasteless. That said, I am partial to Red Leicester or Lancashire Crumbly / Creamy, but that's about it.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm very boring in that my favorite cheese is Wensleydale. Having said that I'm always willing to try a new cheese (I have something of a soft spot for smoked cheese).

Yew

Established Member
Incidentally isn't cheese expensive - you cut a fair wedge off and your probably chucking a quid in your gob :p

I only buy cheese when good cheese is on offer :) so it costs as much as supermarket cheese flavoured plastic

Butts

Veteran Member
I only buy cheese when good cheese is on offer :) so it costs as much as supermarket cheese flavoured plastic

Yes me to - have you noticed how all the packs have shrunk from 400g to 350g with no corresponding reduction in price ?

atomicdanny

For me it is either Caerphilly cheese or mature cheddar, mostly the latter though. While I like caerphilly its very crumbly not that easy to cut I find. Although I can't stand the fale cheese slices.

As for random things I strangely like, apricot jam, banana and cheese sandwiches.

Butts

Veteran Member
Ploughmans is a good use for Cheese, with pickled onion, pickle and a good chunk of French Bread :p

Yew

Established Member
Ploughmans is a good use for Cheese, with pickled onion, pickle and a good chunk of French Bread :p

Unfortunately, EMT prefer to used Red Leicester on their East midlands ploughmans. I know cheddars not from the midlands, but its much nicer on its own :)

LE Greys

Established Member
I'm quite keen on Wensleydale, for easily-found cheeses, and tend to have Red Leicester rather than Chedder (which to me just tastes 'cheesy' :? ). However, I often tend to go for something unusual, Swaledale for instance, or the soft cheese that I got from a friend's uncle in Switzerland. Not sure what it was called, but it went down a treat. :)

telstarbox

Established Member
I was thinking of starting a food-related thread yesterday but thought no-one would be interested - obviously I was wrong! :D

Last edited:

VTPreston_Tez

Tbh the best cheese is when you find a Preston cheese in Chester ;)
Anything strong and blue that won't burn your throat out (unless my throat needs clearing) will do me.

Seacook

In my last job a few of us set up a cheese club. Every month or so we would buy four or five different varieties and eat them with some biscuits and fruit. We had well over 200 different cheeses.

My favourites were Montgomery Cheddar, Berkswell, Mrs Bell's Blue, and Hartington Blue Stilton. I tend to favour blue ewes' milk cheeses while avoiding goats' milk cheeses and soft Brie-type varieties. Any cheese with its rind washed in alcohol I can do without - they smell dreadful and frequently don't taste of much; I have tried several (including the super-pungent Stinking Bishop) and I will never eat any more.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
For those wanting a good quality mature cheddar at a good price, Heron Foods do a Signature West Country Mature cheddar for just over £3. You get 725g for that, so it works out great value, considering you can pay more for a tiny piece in most supermarkets.

Status
Not open for further replies.