• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chelmsford to London Bridge & around zone 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Hi guys,
Been such a long time since I went to London... so for my birthday today we are are off to London from Chelmsford, firstly to London Bridge station then will want to travel around a bit before returning to Chelmsford tomorrow.

What's the best way of doing this? Return to Liverpool Street and then just contactless around London? Or return to Stratford? Or is there a better way...? There's 2 of us and we're going just after midday :)

Short notice..!

Thank you [emoji3]

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Sorry, just seen you're returning tomorrow.

Chelmsford - Liverpool Street Off Peak Return is £22.10. Chelmsford - Stratford Off Peak Return is £21.70 (note Stratford is ZOne 2)

Contactless from there is probably your best bet - a single underground journey in Zone 1 is £2.40, and there is a maximum daily cap of £6.50 in Zone 1 (it's more if you go into other zones).

Couple of other bits - make sure you tap in and out at the start and end of each journey. You will both need contactless cards (you can't use one card for pay for two people).

Enjoy!

Last edited:

martin2345uk

Established Member
Thank you very much!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Was very surprised and saddened to find Chelmsford no longer has a ticket office! Those self service machines aren't as intuitive as I'd have hoped but we managed it and are now squeezed into the gangway of a rammed loco-hauled service [emoji23] least I can look out of the window!

westv

Established Member
I'm surprised no ticket office too. How do people renew their season tickets now?

martin2345uk

Established Member
The station is being redeveloped so I'm guessing it's temporary. Either that or it's just well hidden [emoji23]

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Sorry, just seen you're returning tomorrow.

Chelmsford - Liverpool Street Off Peak Return is £22.10. Chelmsford - Stratford Off Peak Return is £21.70 (note Stratford is ZOne 2)

Contactless from there is probably your best bet - a single underground journey in Zone 1 is £2.40, and there is a maximum daily cap of £6.50 in Zone 1 (it's more if you go into other zones).

Couple of other bits - make sure you tap in and out at the start and end of each journey. You will both need contactless cards (you can't use one card for pay for two people).

Enjoy!
Couple of corrections. Stratford is in both zones 2 and 3. The price of the ticket from Chelmsford doesn't really reflect this well, but I guess that's down to the importance of Stratford as a transport hub.

The £6.50 daily cap applies to zones 1 and 2. Each additional zone adds a bit, £7.60 for zones 1-3, £9.30 for 1-4, and so on.

AM9

Veteran Member
The station is being redeveloped so I'm guessing it's temporary. Either that or it's just well hidden [emoji23]

One would hope so. Chelmsford has the largest peak passenger flow into/out of London outside the Greater London area.

westv

Established Member
One would hope so. Chelmsford has the largest peak passenger flow into/out of London outside the Greater London area.

I hated using it in the morning into London. People everywhere. Yuck!

Cambus731

Chelmsford does still have a ticket office. But it is in a temporary location so may not be easy to find if you don't know where to look.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Good job Chelmsford isn't operated by GTR as they'd probably want to shut the ticket office anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.