Chelmsford - West Brompton or Fulham Broadway

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Capitalstar, 27 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capitalstar

Capitalstar New Member

Hello everyone, hoping you can help me.

I need to travel from Chelmsford to either West Brompton or Fulham Broadway at approx. 1700 on 09/11/11, returning approx. 0900 on 10/11/11.

I'm a bit confused as to whether buying two Anytime Singles from Chelmsford to Zone 2 will allow me to pass through Zone 1 en route to Fulham. Other alternative would be Overground from Stratford to West Brompton, but this is coming out more expensive than the Zone 2 option on thetrainline.com.

Could anyone advise of the cheapest method of doing this? I have no Railcards.

Many thanks.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. LexyBoy

LexyBoy Established Member Fares Advisor

Without checking prices, i would expect Oyster from/to Stratford, combined with Chelmsford-Stratford tickets (Off Peak may be valid on the return) to bring the price down a bit.

Tickets to Underground stations are to 'U12 London' - any Zone 1 or 2 station, so travel from Liverpool St is fine.

Oh, and don't buy from thetrainline of course!

4. clagmonster

clagmonster Established Member

There is an Off Peak ('SVR' - formerly Saver) return available from Chelmsford-Zone U12* Londn for £24.70 which would allow travel through zone 1 to a zone 2 station. I can't see the exact restriction but looking at the East Coast booking engine it seems there is no evening restriction on the outward and on the return the first train that can be used is the 09:30 from Liverpool St. Otherwise it is two day singles at £15.90 each way.

For this, you could get an Off Peak return from Chelmsford-West Brompton for £32.50. I can't get National Rail to show the fare, but East Coast shows it as invalid on the 16:09-17:56 (inclusive) departures from Chelmsford and valid from 08:51 onwards in a morning. I'm sure that someone else can give the exact restriction.

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Oct 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.