• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire Day Ranger 23/02/13 Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

Established Member
Got up 5am, caught the train just after 6:30am from my local station to Lverpool Lime Street where i brought my Cheshire Day Ranger then caught the 7:13 to Manchester Piccadilly arriving 8am. As i was early i had a ride on the new Metrolink line to Droylsden & back, i arrived back at Picc 9:15am so i went in to the Ian Allen book shop for a browse before going back into the station plat 14 to wait for the others who are also doing the meet.

Waiting for the 10:07am to Liverpool i text Crossover where i was & he arrived within a couple of minutes with Paul Sidorczuk, then Ainsworth 74 arrived, as did couple of others[sorry already forgotten your names:oops: i'm hopeless remembering names], then we caught the 10:07am Class 185 TPE to Liverpool with Yorkie joining us at Warrington Central, some of us decided to get off at Liverpool South Parkway rather than Lime Street for the 11:04am to Crewe & risk the 6 minute connection, however the 10:34am LM class 350 from Lime Steet was approaching[stn]LPY[/stn] & we decided to catch that to Crewe & get something to eat at Crewe then scheduled 12:02pm LM to Stoke

After the Cafe break which was longer than we anticipated we caught the 12:02 LM class 350 to Stoke with a couple of minutes to spare. We had a choice of trains at Stoke to either Manchester or Stockport as the planned one we wanted was a 2 minute connection, however as it turned out the connecting train at Stoke with the 2 minute wait was 3 minutes late which was VT Pendo, we decided to alight at Stockport rather than Piccadilly, & caught the 13:30 NR which was a class 150 to Chester via Northwich[don't get why FMs rave about this route as we didn't think much of it;):lol:]

At Chester we caught the ATW class 175, 14:52 to Helsby, at Helsby the Ellesmere Port train was at the platform surprised it was a class 156. At Ellesmere Port we connected to the 15:42 to Liverpool however i decided to bail out at Hamilton Square & catch the bus home rather then continue with the meet, the rest continued with the meet & booked a meal in Manchester.

Just to add i had a great day out.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

district

Was lovely to meet everyone today, especially those who I've not met before!
Although was lucky Virgin have so much padding so we were able to make the first train.

See you all again soon,

Roby

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Yes my first meet :D. I joined at Chester for the 14:52 having slept through my alarm in the morning so I rose around half 10 :oops:. So went to Chester and joined the group and Yorkie, who recognized me from my Youtube, introduced me to all the members attending (Statto, District, Ainsworth74, Crossover, Telstarbox, Eagle, Paul Sidorsczuk from the top of my head, sorry if I've missed your names out, which I probably have.) and I introduce myself to them. We caught the ATW 175 to Helsby and got the Ellesmere port Parlimentary to the best town in the world where we changed onto merseyrail up to Moorfields. We then caught the Northern Line to Hunts X then stayed on until South Parkway and caught the Nottingham 158 to Oxford road where I bailed and said my goodbyes (Sorry I didn't get to say goodbye to everyone, you probably saw me waving from your train!) This was due to my age and I wouldnt be allowed into the pub so the meal was out of question.

It was a good meet and I enjoyed seeing everyone and meeting the members of this forum for real. i hope you enjoyed your meal BTW :D

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
My thanks to all who ensured my first large-sized meet, complete with both forum administrators and moderators, was a most enjoyable experience. Northern Rail very kindly arranged to make the meet a Pacer-free zone. An excellent meal at the end really made the day complete.

My only regret was not meeting some of the forum members who could not make this meet.

Statto

Established Member
My thanks to all who ensured my first large-sized meet, complete with both forum administrators and moderators, was a most enjoyable experience. Northern Rail very kindly arranged to make the meet a Pacer-free zone. An excellent meal at the end really made the day complete.

My only regret was not meeting some of the forum members who could not make this meet.

I was quite surprised a 156 was on the Helsby-Ellesmere Port run normally a 142 or at best a 150.

Crossover

Established Member
I was rather surprised, but also rather pleased, that we ended up with a Pacer free day. I had even expected the Manchester - Knebworth - Chester to be a guaranteed 142!

To finish off from where Statto left the group, we continued on the service to Moorfields, changing onto a service to Hunts Cross (where there was an interesting moment with the guard!) before heading back on the same service to Liverpool South Parkway.

From here, it was a dash to the AC platforms to take a very non AC train, a double 158 set forming EMT's 17:03 service to Nottingham, which was much quieter than expected.

The meet turnout was very good (we managed a near forum takeover of the section between 1st Class and the cab on the initial 185 we took to Liverpool) and it was great to see a number of new members there, as well as the regulars - good to see you all again :)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I was rather surprised, but also rather pleased, that we ended up with a Pacer free day. I had even expected the Manchester - Knebworth - Chester to be a guaranteed 142!

Knebworth.... will I have to ask yorkie if this is a permitted routing between Manchester and Chester, especially when one holds a Cheshire Day Ranger..:shock:

Of course, you really meant to say Knutsford....:D

Crossover

Established Member
Knebworth.... will I have to ask yorkie if this is a permitted routing between Manchester and Chester, especially when one holds a Cheshire Day Ranger..:shock:

Of course, you really meant to say Knutsford....:D

Ah Knuts......:lol:

EDIT: Statto stole my thunder! Had just replied to another thread so it delayed me replying to this one :(

Statto

Established Member
Ah Knuts......:lol:

EDIT: Statto stole my thunder! Had just replied to another thread so it delayed me replying to this one :(

No need to feel :( but :oops: after making that error.:lol: anyway it was a great day out yesterday, fortunately the scallys that where on the Merseyrail train at Ellesmere Port only went one stop.

Crossover

Established Member
No need to feel :( but :oops: after making that error.:lol: anyway it was a great day out yesterday, fortunately the scallys that where on the Merseyrail train at Ellesmere Port only went one stop.

Yep, very :oops:!

I noticed that - was wondering what was going to happen :|

Statto

Established Member
Yep, very :oops:!

I noticed that - was wondering what was going to happen :|

Sadly nothing, unless Merseyrail improves ticket checks on that branch as at the mo they are rare or none existant, & the Scallys know most of the time they can get a free ride Ellesmere Port-Overpool.:-x

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
fortunately the scallys that where on the Merseyrail train at Ellesmere Port only went one stop.

I know one of the lads in that group (He is one of my best mates neighbour), thats probably part of the reason why they were laughing and gave me a funny look and started laughing. They were no doubt travelling ticketless, the amount of people who travel from E.port to Overpool is unbelievable, just because they are both sort of in the same settlement people think they are entitled to free travel anywhere in the port. I know peoples parents who commute ticketless on that stretch!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Worry not Statto! I also am poor at names at the best of times, let alone when I've got to remember two for most people (thank you Paul!).

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

To finish off from where Statto left the group, we continued on the service to Moorfields, changing onto a service to Hunts Cross (where there was an interesting moment with the guard!) before heading back on the same service to Liverpool South Parkway.

Bienvenidos a Merseyside! At least I now know it's not just me that's hated by guards/attracts the dodgy ones up and down the country!

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member
I know one of the lads in that group (He is one of my best mates neighbour), thats probably part of the reason why they were laughing and gave me a funny look and started laughing. They were no doubt travelling ticketless, the amount of people who travel from E.port to Overpool is unbelievable, just because they are both sort of in the same settlement people think they are entitled to free travel anywhere in the port. I know peoples parents who commute ticketless on that stretch!

Doesn't help that South of Hooton only Chester has ticket office open all day, & Ellesmere Port ticket office is only open part of the day not sure if there's any TVMs. I've had ticket checks done by the Guard who was also selling tickets when i've been on the Chester branch, but they're rare on EP branch.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I know one of the lads in that group (He is one of my best mates neighbour), thats probably part of the reason why they were laughing and gave me a funny look and started laughing.

Gah. Scrotes.

Did you see that woman sitting opposite me on the Hunts X train when I pulled out that Merseyrail saver (or whatever it was) from Cressington? She was practically in tears over our discussion about what to do with it!!!

I'll also say this: it is an absolute disgrace that a Northern guard (just a random one, not the member here (well, I suppose it could have been, but I hope not!)) on my train into Piccadilly was unwilling to issue me with a Chesire Day Ranger.
Excuse: "You can't get those for Manchester".
And then he made me buy a single!!! Git.

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
Gah. Scrotes.

Did you see that woman sitting opposite me on the Hunts X train when I pulled out that Merseyrail saver (or whatever it was) from Cressington? She was practically in tears over our discussion about what to do with it!!!

I seemingly missed that (I knew of her presence, and knew you found the ticket, but didn't see her reaction to that!) - what did I miss?

Starmill

Veteran Member
I seemingly missed that (I knew of her presence, and knew you found the ticket, but didn't see her reaction to that!) - what did I miss?

Well, when I passed the ticket over to whoever was sitting to her right (can't remember sorry), she stared incredulously at it and at him then back at me. Then she just burst into quiet breathless laughter and started shaking her head.

If you also remember that I got up to come and stand with you and someone else in the area around the doors about that time, well, that was why. She couldn't stop staring and laughing, but was obviously trying to hide it and failing!

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Doesn't help that South of Hooton only Chester has ticket office open all day, & Ellesmere Port ticket office is only open part of the day not sure if there's any TVMs. I've had ticket checks done by the Guard who was also selling tickets when i've been on the Chester branch, but they're rare on EP branch.

Ellesmere port has a tvm. Ive never know Merseyrail guards sell tickets, and when Beb ticket office was closed, the guard told me he couldnt sell me a ticket and had to buy it at Capenhurst. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avantix_Mobile this wiki also doesnt mention Merseyrail. They are rare anywhere Merseyrail ticket checks on the train!

Yes I was sitting next to you, it was quite funny because she obviously found it funny for some reason and she couldnt hide her laughing:D

district

What was she laughing at? :lol:

Searle

Established Member
To finish off from where Statto left the group, we continued on the service to Moorfields, changing onto a service to Hunts Cross (where there was an interesting moment with the guard!)

A very interesting moment indeed! :lol: It's revolutionized my life since!

Was very nice to see so many people there, on my second proper meet, thank you all for making it a great day. For anyone interested, I made it just about 233 miles we made off the ranger, but that's including South Parkway - Lime street return and Stockport - Piccadilly return that not everyone did :P

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Huh thought it'd be more. Then again we were plodding around for most of the day. Nothing like doing loops of the WCML and ECML (which I ended up doing about three times last year) to get nearly 1000 miles in a day.

Anyway! Nice to meet some some of the usual suspect and also quite a few new people. I always enjoy putting names to faces and hope to see you all again soon :)

Starmill

Veteran Member
Huh thought it'd be more. Then again we were plodding around for most of the day. Nothing like doing loops of the WCML and ECML (which I ended up doing about three times last year) to get nearly 1000 miles in a day.

Anyway! Nice to meet some some of the usual suspect and also quite a few new people. I always enjoy putting names to faces and hope to see you all again soon :)

Well, I didn't get to either of Lime St or Pic the second time, but I did get Hadfeild and Glossop at the end (as I could do it and only miss 2 trains home, was very nearly late back though!).

And, yorkie, some people do indeed get on the first time round at Glossop. Scrotes.

"What, no ticket, no money?"
"No"
"No credit card no nothing?"
"Naa, but I've gotta get sumwere"
"I've heard it all before, you better get off at Hadfield hadn't you?"

He stayed on until bloody Hattersley. Grr. When next the guard came down, he conveniently never got to his part of the train.

A very interesting moment indeed! :lol: It's revolutionized my life since!

Might be a tad embarrassing, but I reckon you could complain and get plenty more out of them than a free Merseyrail voucher!!!!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Since MattE2010 made the original posting with regard to this particular meet, it was a shame that he was not able to attend. I wanted very much to meet him in person, as I believe that his knowledge of railway stations is encyclopedic in its breadth of knowledge.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Another one i couldnt make.... getting rather repetitive now :(

Sounds like a good day, always enjoy a cheshire day ranger.

Status
Not open for further replies.