• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshunt station to move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I heard yesterday that when Tesco moves away from Cheshunt, it has proposed plans for lots and lots of houses.

I have no idea how or why the council would allow such a change of use as the area is marked down as industrial, and usually councils don't allow for offices to be knocked down and flats built - but they, this is Tesco.

Anyway, without knowing just how much Tesco owns (given they have so many buildings but may well be sub-leasing other buildings) it's not clear what the overall plans might be.. but it seems that part of the development would be to relocate Cheshunt station.

Now that might be a good thing if it means a better car park (multi-storey I'd assume?) and doing away with the level crossing, which could maybe become a bridge, but it's all hearsay at the moment.

Does anyone here know anything more? I assume this isn't in any way related to other planned works on the line, relating to Crossrail 2 or STAR etc - but rather a much bigger 'local plan'

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Closing the crossing is part of Crossrail 2. Moving the station isn't.

D365

Veteran Member
Am I right in saying that Platforms 1 and 2 have been extended recently?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Crossrail 2 wants to be 4-track through to Broxbourne, so considerable redevelopment will be needed

Bushy

I have no idea how or why the council would allow such a change of use as the area is marked down as industrial, and usually councils don't allow for offices to be knocked down and flats built - but they, this is Tesco.

Anyway, without knowing just how much Tesco owns (given they have so many buildings but may well be sub-leasing other buildings)

Are we talking about:
B1 Business - Offices (other than those that fall within A2), research and development of products and processes, light industry appropriate in a residential area,
B2 General industrial - Use for industrial process other than one falling within class B1 or
B8 Storage or distribution - This class includes open air storage.

I suspect a mix of B1 and B8 in which case:

Temporary permitted development rights currently apply in respect of the change of use of premises from a B1(a) office use to C3 residential use. This is subject to Prior Approval being sought in respect of flooding, contamination, highways and transport issues. For a property to benefit from C3 use, the use must begin by 30th May 2016 (See GPDO Schedule 2, Part 3, Class O).

Temporary permitted development rights also apply in respect of the change of use of premises from a B8 storage and distribution use under 500m2 to C3 residential use. This is subject to a number of criteria being met and subject to Prior Approval being sought in respect of air quality, transport and highways impacts, contamination risks, flooding risks, noise impact, and impact on the sustainability of adjoining uses. For a property to benefit from C3 use, the use must begin by 15th April 2018 (See GPDO Schedule 2, Part 3, Class P).

As there is a general need for more houses in the Home Counties, many councils will permit redevelopment from Part B Use Classes to C3.

Abpj17

I would imagine that the hope of getting another major company into cheshunt is fairly remote vs. the massive housing shortage anywhere vaguely close to London. (And Tesco is mostly offices there, I suspect B1)

CyrusWuff

Established Member
A quick look on Google Street View gives three main buildings, on opposite sides of the same road, within reasonable proximity of Cheshunt Station.

First up there's Tesco House: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7...4!1sVu9nt2W-O2M4BOYDW78JqA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 - Five floors, approx. 70m x 80m. Without knowing the internal layout, it looks ripe for conversion into a hotel.

On the other side of the road, there's Heldrew House: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7...4!1sTm1IjD85c9Te5sjYehunSA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 - Generic two storey offices.

And the Tesco Meeting Centre (aka Old Tesco House): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7...4!1sTm1IjD85c9Te5sjYehunSA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 - Two floors with a warehouse at the rear, and a Tesco Petrol Station in the (staff) car park!

AlanFry1

Cheshunt isn't moving, it's just getting three extra platforms with the crossrail 2 - in fact I suspect it will get in total 6 platforms by 2025 regardless of crossrail 2 or not.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Where would be the best place to move the station, assuming the developer (Spenhill I assume) would likely be forced to fund it, and possibly other road upgrade work?

For one, making the station properly accessible (not missing trains because you can't cross the line as your train is keeping the barriers down) is a big benefit, and also you could build a better car park and bus station/taxi rank. Then of course build on the old car park.

Seems to me moving the station would be a very sensible idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.