• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chester to Birchwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

leejayd

I need to get to Birchwood, Warrington from Chester. I can get the 7:39 and arrive at 8:50. 1hr 10 mins.

Is there an easier way to get to Birchwood? i.e. train/bus? I suppose I could take my bike and cycle the last 5 miles.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
I don't know if you're best off getting a train between Warrington Central and Birchwood after walking to Bank Quay or getting a bus from Warrington to Birchwood. However, there's no viable alternative to the train between Chester and Warrington.

leejayd

I may just get a fold up bike for the last 5 miles. Although I know how busy the Manchester train gets.

Imagine how many more train journeys could be taken if the last 0-5 miles were handled by bike.

Lee

pemma

Veteran Member
Imagine how many more train journeys could be taken if the last 0-5 miles were handled by bike.

Little old Ashley station could become a Cycle & Ride for Manchester Airport (for people who work there not for people going on holiday with suitcases!!)

notlob.divad

Established Member
Depends what time you need to get there and exactly where in Birchwood. Walking between Bank Quay and Central is pretty easy if that is the route it is sending you. Alternatively it is about 30 minutes on the bus, from the interchange, but that is next to Central Station anyway.

Not sure if they let bikes on the Peak Trains towards Manchester. If they don't maybe this could help you. https://www.bromptonbikehire.com/docks/2736-warrington-bank-quay

pemma

Veteran Member
Depends what time you need to get there and exactly where in Birchwood. Walking between Bank Quay and Central is pretty easy if that is the route it is sending you. Alternatively it is about 30 minutes on the bus, from the interchange, but that is next to Central Station anyway.

As far as I'm aware no operator in the North bans bikes at peak times but there is a limit to how many they can carry so you may not be allowed to take your bike on board if all the designated spaces are occupied. Although when you are boarding at the origin station the easy solution to that problem is to arrive early.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As far as I'm aware no operator in the North bans bikes at peak times but there is a limit to how many they can carry so you may not be allowed to take your bike on board if all the designated spaces are occupied. Although when you are boarding at the origin station the easy solution to that problem is to arrive early.

Folding bicycles, e.g. Bromptons, are permitted at all times on all TOCs. Or the OP could buy a second bike for cheap and leave it at Warrington all the time. A lot of London commuters do that.

Philip C

Folding bicycles, e.g. Bromptons, are permitted at all times on all TOCs. Or the OP could buy a second bike for cheap and leave it at Warrington all the time. A lot of London commuters do that.

Exactly how many London commuters leave bikes in Warrington 'all the time' and why Warrington?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Exactly how many London commuters leave bikes in Warrington 'all the time' and why Warrington?

Obviously he didn't specifically mean Warrington, but a general trend at "country" stations, which is more common at places nearer to London.

Status
Not open for further replies.