• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chester to Newport (via Bristol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mundo7

Hi,

I have an Anytime Day Single ticket from Chester to Newport (South Wales), however I actually need to travel to Bristol Parkway now instead of Newport.

As there are no trains going through the Severn Tunnel the journey to Bristol via Newport would take me ages on a bus, therefore I would like to know whether travelling to Bristol Parkway via Crewe (Stafford/Wolverhampton/Birmingham NS) is a valid route?

Thanks!

M

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I'm not sure if it's normally valid that way, but the fact that the last part of the journey from Bristol Parkway to Newport (which you won't be making!) is by bus, and that mileage by bus is not counted for routeing check purposes, means that the overall mileage is within 3 miles of the shortest route from Chester to Newport. So you should be able to get any online booking website to give you an itinerary via Birmingham and Bristol Parkway if you wish.

mundo7

Thanks,

I think that's good enough for me - I just done a test booking of Chester to Newport via Bristol Parkway and it comes up as the same price as the ticket that I already have (anytime Single) so I should be ok hopefully!

Cheers!

John @ home

Established Member
Bizarrely the via BHM Anytime is cheaper @ 58.10 than the via Hereford @ 60.10. If you have the 60.10 STAR journey planner says its not valid via BHM
That's incorrect.

The £58.10 fare is an Anytime Day Single CHESTER to NEWPORT S.WALES route ANY PERMITTED.

The £60.20 fare is an Anytime Day Single CHESTER to BLACKWOOD BUS route ANY PERMITTED.

A full list of Chester - Newport S Wales fares is here. This includes both tickets valid only for rail travel Chester - Newport S Wales, and also inclusive tickets valid for the rail journey and also for onward bus travel to Blackwood or Abercarn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.