• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chesterfield to york

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDYS

Having just returned from a very successful and train filled weekend in Edinburgh (thanks to the fare finding experts here), I now have a new very simple query.

Me and my son are travelling to Railfest on Thursday 7th June. I need to travel from Chesterfield to York and return after 9.30 coming back anytime in the evening. We have a railcard and do not care which route we take.

A quick look just know reveals single fares of only £7.65 to get us there. Any other options/prices you can offer?

Thanks in advance, Andy S

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

There are a few valid route options:

via Wakefield Kirkgate
via Doncaster and Wakefield Westgate (on direct trains, not a mapped route)
via Doncaster and ECML
all the above take about 2 hours

via Moorthorpe (adds 30 mins)
via Penistone (adds an hour)
via Harrogate (adds an hour)

via the Dearne Valley line is not viable for your times.

It is difficult to split the return ticket especially if you want to go by different routes each way, but a split into Day Returns at Dronfield saves money (~£2) if it is suitable. I haven't checked how that affects route validity.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I personally dislike Advance fares where there is not a reasonable saving to be had. In this case it's only £5* cheaper to book Advances (and that's also assuming that you can get the same fare going back) compared to a walk-on through ticket.

A "split" at Bolton on Dearn saves around £5* compared to the cost of a walk-on through ticket.

(* Based on the quite possibly incorrect assumption that we're talking 1 adult + 1 child with a F&F Railcard)

sonic2009

Established Member
If you can leave at 0900 :

0903 Chesterfield - Sheffield 0917
0929 Sheffield - York 1055 (Direct) via Moorthorpe

Return :

Travel back via Leeds, catch the Northern stopping service via Wakefield Westgate stopping at Moorthorpe to Sheffield, then a train back to Chesterfield. The last train back from York for this option is :

York 2114 - Leeds 2137
Leeds 2148 - Sheffield 2302
Sheffield 2321 - Chesterfield 2344

Tickets :

Chesterfield - Moorthorpe SDR : £5.50 adult £1.60 child
Moorthorpe - York SDR : £8.45 adult £2.45 child

Total cost : £18.00

Status
Not open for further replies.