• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chesterton (Cambridge) new stations plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
initial plans have been released for the new station in the north of Cambridge, showing (roughly) the new platforms, access and parking. Operationally, it'll have two through platforms and a bay, all capable of handling 12 car trains (the bay is stated on these plans as being 300m long!) with access to the rest of Chesteron Sidings retained (this hasn't been used in a long time- possibly moving some the carriage sidings there?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I've never understood why a new station was never built at Cherry Hinton. It's quite a little town now compared with the village it was when I stayed there for a while in 1977.

Aictos

Established Member
Whatever the reason for the bay platform being 300m, there must be some reason why this is....

It might have something to do with stabling after all you can just about put a 16 car EMU in it, maybe the idea is to stable a spare EMU there during the day with a 8 car EMU from both FCC and Greater Anglia alternatively terminating there on the hour then use the spare with a second EMU to run a peak service?

Maybe it's something to do with the new Siemens stock in their 12 car formations being longer then the existing formations of 240m?

Network Rail wouldn't just install a 300m platform and not have a good enough reason why they needed it that long, would they?

John55

Whatever the reason for the bay platform being 300m, there must be some reason why this is....

It might have something to do with stabling after all you can just about put a 16 car EMU in it, maybe the idea is to stable a spare EMU there during the day with a 8 car EMU from both FCC and Greater Anglia alternatively terminating there on the hour then use the spare with a second EMU to run a peak service?

Maybe it's something to do with the new Siemens stock in their 12 car formations being longer then the existing formations of 240m?

Network Rail wouldn't just install a 300m platform and not have a good enough reason why they needed it that long, would they?

The drawing says passenger line (platform 3) 300m. The line is 300m long not the platform.

cle

Established Member
I wonder why they've not just planned three through platforms, with the middle one as the 'bay'? Maybe so as not to disrupt the through lines as much, possibly.

From the consultation thingy - the service pattern:
-----------
3) The initial off peak hourly service pattern that is planned is:
Southbound Services
Kings Lynn - London Kings Cross 1
Ely - London Kings Cross 1
Cambridge Science Park - London Liverpool Street 1
Norwich - Cambridge 1
Northbound Services
London Kings Cross - Kings Lynn 1
London Kings Cross - Ely 1
London Liverpool Street - Cambridge Science Park 1
Cambridge - Norwich 1
It is likely that Birmingham New Street - Stansted Airport services will also serve Cambridge Science Park.
-----------

I think the Ely - KX service must be an extension of the Cambridge fast, which is interesting. Quite good service overall, especially if it did get the XC too.

Definitely time to try to get the Norwich train into Stansted, I think.

philjo

Established Member
Hopefully the KX-Ely service is an extension of the semi fast (xx:53 from KX) to give direct services to the science Park from Royston & North Herts also with connections at Ely for Norwich/peterborough

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
One of the interesting bits of the design- access to all platforms will be via the bridge, with access to the sidings being retained between the bay line and the station building.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hopefully the KX-Ely service is an extension of the semi fast (xx:53 from KX) to give direct services to the science Park from Royston & North Herts also with connections at Ely for Norwich/peterborugh

This would, to me, seem more sensible than the Fast (I think xx15) Kings Cross-Cambridge only (the xx45 is the Kings Lynn, isn't it? Both directions)

cle

Established Member
Oh yeah, I forgot about the 2tph stopping services.

In which case, the Science Park would have trains directly into Thameslink, and possibly Gatwick (Three Bridges is likely).

MarkyT

Established Member
I wonder why they've not just planned three through platforms, with the middle one as the 'bay'? Maybe so as not to disrupt the through lines as much, possibly.

The layout as shown can be achieved quickly and easily with minimal changes to the junction and signalling arrangements. It may be possible to modify the layout in the future, to incorporate a centre turn-back configuration, although this is unlikely to happen until junction pointwork and signalling are due for major renewals.

Established Member
Looks pretty good overall, very convenient for the non-touristy part of the River Cam!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
There's a big push from the Cycling Campaign to get, as a parallel project, a further foot/cycle bridge built alongside the railway bridge, to impove access to the new station from Fen Ditton and part sof abbey that will be sloser to this than the main station- it would also form part of the proposed "Chisolm Trail" spinal cycle/foot route from north to south across the east side of the city (where the bulk of the permanent population live).

Status
Not open for further replies.