• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Child seen lying over edge of Trowbridge railway platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is it any wonder that sometimes station staff come across as a bit overzealous when telling people on platforms to stand well back/behind the yellow line etc when we see incidents like this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
Having just had an argument on 'Flickr' with someone who was trying to defend his decision to climb over a fence onto the railway to get a photograph (three inches away from where he would have been on the public side), it's apparent that the message is far from delivered, even to those who should know better. As in this case, it takes a particularly childish outlook to seek to defend the indefensible by criticising others, as this Trowbridge man has done. As for the Trowbridge father's comment about a "do-gooder", the opposite is a 'do-badder' - i.e. the father for condoning the behaviour, and thereby presumably teaching his two daughters that it's OK - is that a regime of which to be proud? As for; "he's an inquisitive boy"; well, perhaps he will soon want to explore the third rail system and find out what makes it tick?

duncanp

Established Member
I think the father's attitude is rather like those who drink and drive.

You may drive home without an accident after drinking seven pints of beer, but that is just luck, and you are taking an unacceptable risk.

Similarly with this incident - just because nothing happened this time, the boy may do something similar again, perhaps when his father is not there, and he may not be so lucky.

father_jack

"Devon was there for all of 30 seconds"

What an idiot the father is. It takes a lot less than 30 seconds in some places for a train to come around the corner.
The local BBC local news "Pants West" had a Network Rail bloke filmed at Trowbridge today mentioning that trains travel up to 125 mph at Trowbridge !!!!

LAX54

Established Member
Let the Dad attend the next Fatality at a Station, then he can see what happens

SwindonBert

The father has now made a comment https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-44924264

"We were on our way to the Bath Carnival and our train was delayed," he said.

"Devon is an inquisitive kid and wanted to pick up a stone or piece of wood from the track as treasure.

"I told him it wasn't a good idea and then he asked if he could have a quick look."

Mr Stanton said he was "standing right by" his son and "could see the direction the trains were coming from and the information board".

He said: "I knew the man who took the photo wasn't happy but it is just a snapshot - Devon was there for all of 30 seconds - and all the people who have commented weren't there.

"Anybody who knows me and knows my kids would realise he wasn't in danger."

Mr Stanton added that high speed trains which pass through the station are always announced via the station intercom.

eastdyke

Established Member
The father has now made a comment https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-44924264
And if you keep scrolling down that link includes:
British Transport Police (BTP) said they had been made aware of a photograph "which shows a child in a dangerous position".
Mr Stanton said he contacted BTP voluntarily and was due to speak to them to give his side of the story.
BTP said they were awaiting further information prior to launching an investigation.
As guilt has effectively been admitted an 'invitation' to attend a responsible parenting course (should such exist) would seem appropriate.

stuartl

And if you keep scrolling down that link includes:

As guilt has effectively been admitted an 'invitation' to attend a responsible parenting course (should such exist) would seem appropriate.
Isn't the main problem that it gives his son the wrong 'signal' , he might try something similar when he's on his own.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Is it just me who thinks of the poor kid being called "Devon"?

If he wanted to pick up a stone then there would be safer places to do so, just because the screen isn't showing something is due doesn't always mean nothing can spring out of the blue with the announcement of a passing train coming after it's passed (if at all)

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member

Preferably in conjunction with a short-term banning order, say a month, just to ensure the message gets home that his irresponsible attitude is not conducive to railway safety.

sw1ller

Established Member
Ahh, did you all not read, he could see what direction the trains were travelling from. That’s gotta be safe then as we all know the trains would never switch tracks and come the opposite way.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Having just had an argument on 'Flickr' with someone who was trying to defend his decision to climb over a fence onto the railway to get a photograph (three inches away from where he would have been on the public side), it's apparent that the message is far from delivered, even to those who should know better.

Problem with online arguments is that people never naturally want to concede that they are wrong and will construct even more and more elaborate arguments (or wild diversions/change of tacts). Even when they totally are wrong (As, in my view, your argue-ee was in your case).

bramling

Veteran Member
agreed - to suggest you are safe because you can see the departure board shows a dangerous level of ignorance. That may be shocking to us but to many that might seem perfectly logical.

It doesn’t take that much imagination to think that a computer may freeze or that the power to the p/a could fail. Perhaps this dimwit father could use his clearly limited brain function to think about such possibilities rather than trying to defend his stupidity.

Dieseldriver

"We were on our way to the Bath Carnival and our train was delayed," he said.

"Devon is an inquisitive kid and wanted to pick up a stone or piece of wood from the track as treasure.

"I told him it wasn't a good idea and then he asked if he could have a quick look."

Mr Stanton said he was "standing right by" his son and "could see the direction the trains were coming from and the information board".

He said: "I knew the man who took the photo wasn't happy but it is just a snapshot - Devon was there for all of 30 seconds - and all the people who have commented weren't there.

"Anybody who knows me and knows my kids would realise he wasn't in danger."

Mr Stanton added that high speed trains which pass through the station are always announced via the station intercom.
Funny, everytime I've gone non stop through there, it hasn't been announced as the PIS has still been advertising the next train booked to call...

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Just thought I'd post this little story too, just to show how dangerous it can be.
The railway back where I grew up is single track, so trains come in both directions as part of the timetable.
When I was in sixth form a pupil of the school that was joined to the sixth form died after being hit by a train. He was leaning over the edge of the platform either to see where the train was or to spit on the track (depending on who you believe), but facing the "wrong way" so didn't see the train approach and either had headphones in or was deaf (again, depending on who you believe).
From memory, it really shock up the staff involved and led to trains approaching the station at a snails pace when at the start or end of the school day in the years afterwards.

As cold and as potentially upsetting for the families involved, I really think there needs to be someway to share these stories so people actually realise the dangers. It doesn't have to be obviously dangerous for it to kill you (or your child).

Deepgreen

Established Member
Problem with online arguments is that people never naturally want to concede that they are wrong and will construct even more and more elaborate arguments (or wild diversions/change of tacts). Even when they totally are wrong (As, in my view, your argue-ee was in your case).
Quite so - I had to terminate the 'discussion' as it wasn't an appropriate forum anyway. I suggested he bring his argument to a rail forum, where I also suggested he might get short shrift. I may have been wrong, of course (but I'll never admit it!).

Darandio

Established Member
The father commenting has now made himself look an even bigger idiot, I wasn't even sure that was possible.

jonathan01n

Yes, it is Very dangerous. The signal at the back is showing green, which means the train is on its way and will be there very soon. The child can be easily killed.

Parallel

Established Member
I’d also like to point out that it’s not possible to see the full CIS screen from where he was standing, as the footbridge cuts off part of it. Also very difficult to hear automated announcements at that end of the platform as there are no speakers! You can just about hear the speaker from outside the booking office from where he is. Also, the track curves either side of Trowbridge station, so trains can’t be seen from far away.

Darandio

Established Member
Yes, it is Very dangerous. The signal at the back is showing green, which means the train is on its way and will be there very soon. The child can be easily killed.

In general, a signal at green doesn't mean that at all. But that is completely irrelevant here, nobody should have their head over the edge whether it's green, red, yellow, purple or blue.

Parallel

Established Member
Funny, everytime I've gone non stop through there, it hasn't been announced as the PIS has still been advertising the next train booked to call...
The boards don’t usually announce passing trains, though the automated announcements do.

Justin Smith

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-44916009

The stupidity of some people is unbelievable.

No doubt if the child had been injured, or an unscheduled train had passed through the station unexpectedly, it would have been the "..nasty old railway..." to blame. What sort of message about rail safety does this sort of thing send?

The kid is in more danger than if he been standing on the platform, but let`s be frank he really isn`t in much danger is he, it looks worse than it is. You could see and hear a train coming quite sometime before it get`s there and the kid is in no danger of falling on the track. He`d be in more danger crossing the road just down from my house, and that is 100% legal. In fact the authorities are showing a marked reluctance to reduce the speed limit at the aforementioned road despite many residents wanting them to.
INCONSISTENT !

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
The kid is in more danger than if he been standing on the platform, but let`s be frank he really isn`t in much danger is he, it looks worse than it is. You could see and hear a train coming quite sometime before it get`s there and the kid is in no danger of falling on the track. He`d be in more danger crossing the road just down from my house, and that is 100% legal. In fact the authorities are showing a marked reluctance to reduce the speed limit at the aforementioned road despite many residents wanting them to.
INCONSISTENT !

You get about 5 seconds warning of a freight train at linespeed (50mph) at Trowbridge, due to the curvature of the line, the cutting and overbridge at the Westbury end and the fact that it is a 1:57 falling gradient into the station so any non-stop traffic is coasting.

One badly timed sneezing fit by the father...

Antman

Established Member
Honestly was the child really in any danger?

Presumably if a train was coming the father would have taken the necessary action if the child hadn't moved away by themselves.

Probably wasn't the wisest thing to do but the self righteousness from certain quarters is quite nauseating.

Established Member
Preferably in conjunction with a short-term banning order, say a month, just to ensure the message gets home that his irresponsible attitude is not conducive to railway safety.

Usual hysterical overreaction we get in this country these days utterly ridiculous

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Presumably if a train was coming the father would have taken the necessary action if the child hadn't moved away by themselves.

Probably wasn't the wisest thing to do but the self righteousness from certain quarters is quite nauseating.

Did you read Post #55 ?

bramling

Veteran Member

Yes the child was in danger. Had a train appeared and the child panicked then it’s quite possible the child could have fallen on the track.

It’s also rather stupid giving the message to the child that it’s okay, as they may well do it again perhaps without the supervision of a parent.

It’s quite reasonable to take a “not my problem” view, however it’s still something which should not be condoned as anything other than stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.