• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Child Tickets on ITSO Smartcards (specifically GWR Touch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguin8967

I'm wondering if it's possible to put child single/return tickets onto a smartcard? In the GWR mobile app (Android), there's an ability to link a card and buy single/return tickets on it.

However, I've asked somebody else (who is over 18) to test this for me; the child option doesn't appear when the card is linked to the app. Any idea if this just happens, or if it's because the card is registered to somebody over 18?

Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

father_jack

I'm wondering if it's possible to put child single/return tickets onto a smartcard? In the GWR mobile app (Android), there's an ability to link a card and buy single/return tickets on it.

However, I've asked somebody else (who is over 18) to test this for me; the child option doesn't appear when the card is linked to the app. Any idea if this just happens, or if it's because the card is registered to somebody over 18?

Thank you.
No under 18s on GWR touch, sorry. At one point in the WEBTIS process for creating the smartcard it asks you to enter a date of birth.

It's a pity really because the little blighters going to posh schools on term length tickets are notorious for losing them. And a parent/guardian has to sign the duplicate application.

penguin8967

No under 18s on GWR touch, sorry. At one point in the WEBTIS process for creating the smartcard it asks you to enter a date of birth.

It's a pity really because the little blighters going to posh schools on term length tickets are notorious for losing them. And a parent/guardian has to sign the duplicate application.
Are you aware of any other operators that do under 16 smarcards, and do they work anywhere?

Alex365Dash

Are you aware of any other operators that do under 16 smarcards, and do they work anywhere?

GTR do child Key Smartcards, and it appears they can theoretically be used on any National Rail journey (not sure whether it does in practice!) that isn't wholly in London. In addition to the standard info for an adult smartcard, you'll also need a digital photo and you'll need to bring proof of ID with your child to a GTR ticket office to register for the smartcard.

Govia Thameslink Railway said:
Can I use The Key Smartcard on other operator services?

Yes you can. You can use your Key Smartcard on any train service as long as you have a valid ticket to travel for that service on your smartcard.

What details do you need when registering for a child Key Smartcard?

As a parent or guardian of a child aged 5 to 15 years, you’ll need to provide the same information online as you do to register as an adult – name, address, date of birth and contact details. However, you’ll also need to provide a passport-style digital photograph of them for their smartcard. Make sure when registering for a Child Key Smartcard, you enter your child’s details for an online account.
To complete a child’s registration you must also verify the child’s age at any staffed Great Northern, Southern or Thameslink ticket office along with proof of identification, such as a passport or birth certificate.

[.n]

I expect you can do, as long as the smartcard is encoded as a child one. I had an issue with a smartcard I had, and I could never buy tickets I wanted on it - essentially the railcard part didn't work, eventually I worked out that it was coded as a a child ticket, and assumed that was the problem.

Of course I may be wrong in my assumptions - I didn't do any rigorous testing

Status
Not open for further replies.