• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Children on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
As a little boy in 1970s Crawley, I have very few memories, but along with white dog-poo (which was everywhere, but at least you could see it), there were groups of punks "loitering", glue sniffing and graffiti. Swap punks for chavs, and glue for MCat, and we've not got a huge difference 40 years later.

And, to add to this, there are some pretty obnoxious elderly people about too.

Not sure it's really a generational thing, there have always been problem people - they often pass it on to their offspring, and problem young people grow into problem older people. The reason why I think it's increasingly noticeable is simply due to increasing population - the more they breed the more chance there is of coming into contact with one at a given moment in time.

Harbornite

Established Member
It's full of women, so that's a given. Just as forums populated primarily by males can turn misogynist quickly, the same is true with females and misandry.

The best thread on the forum is arguably the "dunking" one. It's... definitely not safe for work.

I just had a quick glance at the dunking thread. What the... :oops:

Here's the link for anyone else who wants(?) to have a look.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_classics/a1875847-Do-you-dunk-your-penis

On another note, the harlots that frequent that site seem obsessed with striking through their text in a pathetic way of trying to hide insults or whatever.

AndrewP

My kids have been travelling by all modes since the day they were born and love it (they are now 9 and 11) and know how to behave but I understand that I am responsible for their behaviour and will not hesitate in telling them off if they are too loud or doing anything else to the detriment of other passengers. Taking them to the naughty corner in a vestibule is a great help (and there is one everywhere unlike a naughty step).

I have had a couple of issues where I have robustly defended them due to other passengers:
  • Being told they were too loud in the quiet coach - it was not the quiet coach so the complainants got short shrift and were told where to go (coach B on East Coast)
  • Getting my sons stuff removed in first class by a passenger who wanted to spread out in first class and take up almost the entire table for 4! The guard was a great help in sorting this
  • Being told to move the children because someone wanted our reserved window seat

The key message is for EVERYONE to respect and consider their fellow passengers and never use the quiet coach with kids!

FGW_DID

Established Member
Perhaps some people on here would be better off on MumsNet!

I'll let you make your own minds up who!

Harbornite

Established Member
There was a thread about smacking on here a year ago.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=113037

As I have said in other forums here, I get more and more reactionary as I get older. I'm afraid we are victims of the PC Brigade. When I was a youngster I was spoken to harshly, or even had the backs of my legs smacked. Parents now are not allowed to do that, so the rest of us have to suffer because of lazy attitude to parents controlling their pesky kids.

This continues throughout childhood and adolescence. From the baby constantly crying or screaming it's head off for at times, hours on end, and the parents just sit there, no idea that the is a problem with the child. The 3-10 year old, who cannot sit still, got to constantly move about, change position and again the parents do nothing, to the teenagers, shouting down their phones, shouting and swearing all over the place.

I try to confront parents. One child constantly swinging her legs under the table and kicking my shins. I ask the parent to get the child to stop. I get the dirty look. She'll stop when she wants. So I loose my cool. If I'm kicked again by your horrid child, then I'll kick you so hard that it'll take three weeks or more for the bruises to go away. I make sure the whole carriage hears me. Thankfully parent and child move away.

To be honest, I don't see why I should not complain. Constant two way conversations of a mobile phone that can be heard all over the carriage including the swearing is not one I and many others have to put up with. I get the reaction that I can always ask then to stop. Why should I have to ask them to stop! Why am I put in the position that I am disturbed and become annoyed?

I'm afraid the PC Brigade has won. I get up and move now, but again why should I have to?

It's worse in planes. You cannot move most the time. I just wish they put families and children in the rear of the plane next to the flight crew, and that children up to the age of 7 are drugged when they get on board.

King Herod had the right idea! Must be good as it's in the Bible.

This post is rather stupid. Would you seriously consider kicking the mother of a child?

Baggypants

There have been 'Good' v 'Bad' behaviour threads recently, how about a 'parents who let their children run riot' thread? I'm on 1E19 Aberdeen - Kings Cross and there are a couple of apparently foreign couples letting their kids run the length of the carriage, taking the reservation cards out of the seat backs, stand on the tables, etc.

Very annoying to say the least.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

If they were foreign they may have come from a culture where children are allowed to play in public and are forgiven for misdemeanor due to their age. Britain is a stifiling culture for pretty much everyone, we're just more used to it.

As an alternative, maybe you'd have preferred that they had been forced to sit on their parents laps and screamed their heads off for the entire journey instead.

Darandio

Established Member
As I have said in other forums here, I get more and more reactionary as I get older. I'm afraid we are victims of the PC Brigade. When I was a youngster I was spoken to harshly, or even had the backs of my legs smacked. Parents now are not allowed to do that, so the rest of us have to suffer because of lazy attitude to parents controlling their pesky kids.

This continues throughout childhood and adolescence. From the baby constantly crying or screaming it's head off for at times, hours on end, and the parents just sit there, no idea that the is a problem with the child. The 3-10 year old, who cannot sit still, got to constantly move about, change position and again the parents do nothing, to the teenagers, shouting down their phones, shouting and swearing all over the place.

I try to confront parents. One child constantly swinging her legs under the table and kicking my shins. I ask the parent to get the child to stop. I get the dirty look. She'll stop when she wants. So I loose my cool. If I'm kicked again by your horrid child, then I'll kick you so hard that it'll take three weeks or more for the bruises to go away. I make sure the whole carriage hears me. Thankfully parent and child move away.

To be honest, I don't see why I should not complain. Constant two way conversations of a mobile phone that can be heard all over the carriage including the swearing is not one I and many others have to put up with. I get the reaction that I can always ask then to stop. Why should I have to ask them to stop! Why am I put in the position that I am disturbed and become annoyed?

I'm afraid the PC Brigade has won. I get up and move now, but again why should I have to?

It's worse in planes. You cannot move most the time. I just wish they put families and children in the rear of the plane next to the flight crew, and that children up to the age of 7 are drugged when they get on board.

Not once in nearly a decade on this forum have I had the urge to punch a fellow member because of a post.

Congratulations on being the first.

SS4

Established Member
There is no clear delineation of bad behaviour. In my experience (which is not less valid because I do not have children) the parent's definition is a bit looser than those without for better or for worse (usually worse)

I would love to see adult only carriages - it's easy to enforce as only those with adult tickets can enter!

Harbornite

Established Member
Not once in nearly a decade on this forum have I had the urge to punch a fellow member because of a post.

Congratulations on being the first.

I seem to recall another post in which he threatened or used violence against someone who was either occupying two seats or had their feet on a seat.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
If you find you are constantly agitated and feel the need to confront a parent over their exuberant child, whether they were behaving good or bad, then you should really take yourself to the quiet coach.

I would generally agree, but for the fact that quiet coaches have of course been removed from CrossCountry and elsewhere; and there is, of course, a persistent strain of superior preachy types on this forum who answer any approving mentions of the quiet coach with "it's PUBLIC transport, I suggest you learn to get on with the public".

(Fegg Junior went for his first bus ride today... slept all the way through despite the Oxfordshire potholes. I am duly impressed.)

najaB

Veteran Member
As an alternative, maybe you'd have preferred that they had been forced to sit on their parents laps and screamed their heads off for the entire journey instead.
I wasn't actually *that* bothered by their behaviour personally as they didn't take an interest in me, but the lady whose table they were climbing onto and jumping off of was obviously quite perturbed, and the other lady whose daughter they were later crowding into a corner seat didn't look much pleased either. And I dare say any people who got onto the train later and found people sitting in their reserved seats probably wouldn't have been very happy either.

If I would like to have seen anything it would be their parents actually engaging with them and giving them something to do, rather than just ignoring them - even when the kids when up to them and tried to get their attention.

Clansman

Established Member
I would generally agree, but for the fact that quiet coaches have of course been removed from CrossCountry and elsewhere; and there is, of course, a persistent strain of superior preachy types on this forum who answer any approving mentions of the quiet coach with "it's PUBLIC transport, I suggest you learn to get on with the public".

Understandably the quiet coach appears mostly on Intercity journeys. The point I was getting at was a nice way of saying: "Why force yourself to sit next to someone you can't tolerate?" Of course, the exception applies if you've got a seat reservation, or you feel a young child is actually targeting you for slaughter!

I would love to see adult only carriages - it's easy to enforce as only those with adult tickets can enter!

In relation to my response above, a way to handle passenger dissatisfaction on this issue is to maybe take a leaf out of Grand Central's book (not that they intended it for this particular purpose) and to have game boards engraved or stuck onto the tables. There's the old smoking area in the mk4s so why not have a similar sized area on longer distance trains and apply reservations if a family is travelling with at least 2 children?

Well said. My kids are loud. Well behaved but loud. Excitable, happy curious boys who are like little sponges sucking up their surroundings, sights, sounds etc. If anyone ever told me to make them keep there Noise down, they would be told. It happened on a bus last week where the big one and the little one were playing peekaboo with each other (my almost 2 year old has a very loud giggle) and some weird and random game that my eldest was playing with my friends children to pass the time. Some man told me "can you not make them
Be quiet?" To which I replied "nope". They were a 9 year old, a 4 year old and a 2 year old enjoying life, sitting in there seats and occupying themselves.

(I think the words grumpy old man got used by a few other passengers more than once!)

I can feel the nostalgia hitting me already, reminding me of when I was on trains as a young lad, even if it was only a few years ago! Pity there aren't enough sponges to go around soaking up all the grumpy commuters. This is the example I'm talking about regarding how unfairly some people categorise between good and bad, simply 2 words in your case - good, kids. The behaviour you describe clearly shows you are keen for your kids to engage with their surroundings (credit to you :)) rather than running up and down the carriage, peering into people's faces.

Last edited:

Emmery

Emmery, don't patronise me. I wasn't always on the railways. I spent a long time in public service and dealt, first hand with the effects and after effects of child abuse. It is not a joke. It is dark, depressing and corrosive. It literally ruins lives, sometimes ends lives and it is not a subject that contains any humour what so ever. It is abhorrent, disgusting and just about the worst thing that one human can inflict on another. Making 'jokey', tongue in cheek comments referring to drugging children and infanticide is quite literally unbelievable. Whether they reference a historical/fictional event or are the ramblings of someone who clearly doesn't like children, is irrelevant.

And to be honest, it has no place on a forum dedicated to railway matters.

If you think that this is a subject for humour then it is you, not I that needs their sense of humour receiver checking.

For the sake of further clarity, I will not be replying to any further posts by people who think I have 'had a sense of humour failure'. I've made my position perfectly clear and further debate/argument is leading us down a dead end path.

Jamesb1974 your not the only one who has worked in the public sector and I suspect we have had a similar job.

I have not said or even suggested that abuse is a joke and neither has anybody else on this forum. The problem here is that you are equating writing a sentence on an internet forum as a joke in bad taste with what happens out in the real world. The guy was out of order for what he put we all agree on that. But the post needs to be seen for what it was a silly man making an ill judged comment.

I can't actually believe you just wrote if something is historical or fictional is irrelevant. One happened the other is made up its just about the most relevant thing I can think of.

I guess we are never going to agree on this so I'll shut up about it.

Can we get back to talking about trains please?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather

What an awful man you are - I take it you don't have children. I'm surprised you haven't suggested banning children altogether. Why should my child be drugged up just to appease people like you!?

And what do you suggest one does with autistic children, those with learning difficulties and those with varying degrees of of ADHD?. Drug them up as well?

Last edited:

Emmery

To inject a bit of positivity into this thread i remember a flight i took a few years back.

Can't remember where it was to but a few seats ahead of me was a young couple with a child maybe 2 years old.

Over the next few hours I saw some of the best parenting I have ever seen. The couple took it in turn entertaining the child with all manner of games, books and stories. Not once did a computer screen come out and i didn't hear a peep out of the child for the whole of the 3 hour flight.

I know that all children are different and this may not always be possible but i was impressed with them.

Deepgreen

Established Member
and you, of course, are the sole arbiter of what is acceptable I assume.

I take the kids on long train journeys to see the grandparents. Most of the time they are fine (we pack books, games, drinks, treats, IT devices etc) but being children their threshold for boredom and concentration is lower than the perfect adults who inhabit this board. Therefore they will get a bit twisty from time to time especially when tired or excited. They are children after all.

They also tend to ask LOTS of questions, many of which will be terribly banal for the adults in the vicinity, but which are natural considering things are very new when you are 5 or 6 and going on a long train journey is the most exciting thing EVER!!!!!!!!!

BTW - for irrelevant read zero children?

I completely agree that inquisitive children are great, and have absolutely no issue with questions, etc., however often repeated and so on. I am fairly sure I was a child once, but it is so long ago that I may be wrong. What I do not like is uncontrolled unacceptable behaviour such as kicking people, removing reservation cards, and the other activities that have been highlighted here, because the parents are too lazy or ill-mannered themselves to see it as a problem.

I have no doubt that you are a fine parent, and my comments have not been aimed at you in any case. Essentially, my comments apply just as much to adults who behave badly as children, as the former have far less excuse. Yes, BTW, I am the sole arbiter of what annoys me, but I don't assume that necessarily applies to others. A forum is for the expression of views: that's mine.

GodAtum

On Moderation

I agree. But in this day and age I just have to bear it and not speak out.

Darandio

Established Member
I agree. But in this day and age I just have to bear it and not speak out.

You agree with threatening the mother of a child and also to drugging children?

If so, congratulations on being the second added to my list.

bramling

Veteran Member
What an awful man you are - I take it you don't have children. I'm surprised you haven't suggested banning children altogether. Why should my child be drugged up just to appease people like you!?

And what do you suggest one does with autistic children, those with learning difficulties and those with varying degrees of of ADHD?. Drug them up as well?

I agree the original poster was OTT, however personally I'd be quite happy with the idea of a "family area", and - by definition - a "non family area".

najaB

Veteran Member
I agree the original poster was OTT...
Just for clarity and the avoidance of doubt, the "original poster" being referred to is Requeststop who suggested that children be drugged. As the thread starter - usually referred to as the OP - I suggested nothing of the sort!

Established Member
I cover a huge distance by rail each year and I reckon that annoying behaviour bothers me around one journey in 50, but maybe I'm unusually tolerant.

If I find unacceptable noise and disturbance - whether it's made by children or adults, it all amounts to the same thing - when I get on, I try to sit somewhere else. If a kerfuffle breaks out around me (and noone's actually hitting me or physically coming into contact, they never have) I either tune it out if the train is full, I know that it won't blight the rest of my life, or make a light hearted excuse and move elsewhere.

I've only once said something and I've regretted it ever since. I was alone in a four seat bay in an East Coast First Class quiet coach a few years ago. A family, two adults and two young girls as I recall, occupied the three seats around me. They produced noisy electronic toys and I got cross within ten minutes, saying that I - not they I should stress - was going to have to move since it was the quiet coach. The adults were mortified and cleared out the whole family immediately, mentioning politely that their Standard reserved seats had been occupied by someone else and they'd been told to sit there by the crew. This made sense from what I recalled from their arrival in the coach. They spent the next hour standing in the vestibule whilst I sat in pompous isolation with my laptop.

Never again. Live and let live for goodness sake, it's only a train journey, really how much inconvenience are you being put to, it's not like your neighbours having a noisy party through the wall every night?

al78

Established Member
Never again. Live and let live for goodness sake, it's only a train journey, really how much inconvenience are you being put to, it's not like your neighbours having a noisy party through the wall every night?

This is why people are inconsiderate, because of attitides like this which attempt to trivialise or excuse poor behaviour ultimately ends up with the entitlement attitude to inflict poor behaviour on others with no comeback.

943995724-Edmund-Burke-Quote.png

satisnek

I post on this thread in support of Requeststop (the last two paragraphs are clearly tongue-in-cheek).

It is my humble opinion that what I term 'do-gooderism' is destroying humanity. Conflict is not pleasant but it's healthy and mankind would not progress without it.

MonsooN

I agree with most of the other parents who have already posted on here.

For most children, travelling by train is a really exciting treat. I'll be taking my two young boys (8 and 5) from Newcastle to London in October and I'll make sure they have enough to keep them occupied for the duration of the journey. As some of the other patents have mentioned, that will involve things like colouring books, magazines and electronic devices (with headphones) But I'll also talk to them and engage them. I might even make a list of things for them to spot out of the window (The Angel, Penshaw Monument, York Minster etc).

If, one or both of them misbehave (the younger one can be a bit of a tinker!) I'd take immediate action. I'd never let them run around the carriage like the children the OP described. I'd also make sure they were aware of their surroundings and respected the people around them - for example, if I saw someone working on a laptop, I'd tell them both that they mustn't shout out because people are working.

Most parents I've observed on my rail journeys do a pretty good job. Long journeys with children - however you make them - can be tough. As long as they're not doing what the OP described, you've got to have a little tolerance for them. I always love to see children enjoying a journey on the train.

Established Member
I've never been called a do gooder before. :)

I'll put my avoidance and do nothing approach into some sort of context with a few figures.

I make around 300 single journeys a year. If on a fiftieth of those I encounter noise or disturbance of any sort, adult or child, I'd say that it really is no worse than that, then I reckon that I can sit myself somewhere else from the start in three quarters of cases. For example, I join a Kings Cross to Edinburgh train at Newcastle and there are noisy kids by my reserved seat, so I sit somewhere else.

In no more than two cases per year something really annoying starts up around me and I move. The last time, around four months ago, was a woman with two young children. The kids were making a bit of noise, nothing untoward, but what drove me down the carriage was the woman's behaviour. As far as I could see she was telling the kids to sit down and be quiet every two minutes because they were disturbing her Facebook use. That wouldn't bother me in itself, but it was the blaring music leaking from her earphones which finished me off. How she knew the kids were making any noise at all is beyond me. I'd get a lot more worked up trying to have a conversation with an idiot like that than by simply moving away.

I don't travel by train to have my blood pressure sent up and neither do I roam the country to correct people on their bad parenting. I travel with work and I'll do whatever is necessary to continue working.

If I witnessed something serious or criminal then of course I wouldn't ignore it.

Wolfie

Established Member
I did not read it as 'tongue in cheek'. I found it highly offensive and, to be perfectly honest, disgusting. You have your opinion, I have mine. I find remarks that make child abuse (whether historical, fictional or hypothetical) abhorrent.

Emmery, don't patronise me. I wasn't always on the railways. I spent a long time in public service and dealt, first hand with the effects and after effects of child abuse. It is not a joke. It is dark, depressing and corrosive. It literally ruins lives, sometimes ends lives and it is not a subject that contains any humour what so ever. It is abhorrent, disgusting and just about the worst thing that one human can inflict on another. Making 'jokey', tongue in cheek comments referring to drugging children and infanticide is quite literally unbelievable. Whether they reference a historical/fictional event or are the ramblings of someone who clearly doesn't like children, is irrelevant.

And to be honest, it has no place on a forum dedicated to railway matters.

If you think that this is a subject for humour then it is you, not I that needs their sense of humour receiver checking.

For the sake of further clarity, I will not be replying to any further posts by people who think I have 'had a sense of humour failure'. I've made my position perfectly clear and further debate/argument is leading us down a dead end path.

I do have my own opinion. I am not trivialising child abuse which is indeed abhorant. So, in my view, is labelling someone who I think was trying to lighten what otherwise could have come over as a rant as being mentallly ill. In fact it is unacceptable both to that person and also to anyone who themselves has, or has close connections to a suffer of, mental illness.

I note that in your breathtaking arrogance you deflect that and instead attempt to justify what to me is a clear breach of the rules of this forum.

Jamesb1974
“I did not read it as 'tongue in cheek'. I found it highly offensive and, to be perfectly honest, disgusting. You have your opinion, I have mine. I find remarks that make child abuse (whether historical, fictional or hypothetical) abhorrent.”
If you did not read it as tongue and cheek then you read it wrong. A joke is not child abuse and you need to calm down and realise that you have had a catastrophic sense of humour failure.

Spot on!

I'm sure we can all agree on one thing.

I need to learn how to quote correctly.

Yup lol

Jamesb1974 your not the only one who has worked in the public sector and I suspect we have had a similar job.

I have not said or even suggested that abuse is a joke and neither has anybody else on this forum. The problem here is that you are equating writing a sentence on an internet forum as a joke in bad taste with what happens out in the real world. The guy was out of order for what he put we all agree on that. But the post needs to be seen for what it was a silly man making an ill judged comment.

I can't actually believe you just wrote if something is historical or fictional is irrelevant. One happened the other is made up its just about the most relevant thing I can think of.

I guess we are never going to agree on this so I'll shut up about it.

Can we get back to talking about trains please?

Balance and commonsense - it will never catch on!

I agree with most of the other parents who have already posted on here.

For most children, travelling by train is a really exciting treat. I'll be taking my two young boys (8 and 5) from Newcastle to London in October and I'll make sure they have enough to keep them occupied for the duration of the journey. As some of the other patents have mentioned, that will involve things like colouring books, magazines and electronic devices (with headphones) But I'll also talk to them and engage them. I might even make a list of things for them to spot out of the window (The Angel, Penshaw Monument, York Minster etc).

If, one or both of them misbehave (the younger one can be a bit of a tinker!) I'd take immediate action. I'd never let them run around the carriage like the children the OP described. I'd also make sure they were aware of their surroundings and respected the people around them - for example, if I saw someone working on a laptop, I'd tell them both that they mustn't shout out because people are working.

Most parents I've observed on my rail journeys do a pretty good job. Long journeys with children - however you make them - can be tough. As long as they're not doing what the OP described, you've got to have a little tolerance for them. I always love to see children enjoying a journey on the train.

As a parent to be I think that you have it exactly right.

Last edited:

ATW Alex 101

Established Member

:lol: It's not the first time Requeststop has posted crap like this. I seem to remember back around c.2012 there was a post of a similar nature. I have a feeling that he's just talking out his arse and that he doesn't really try and act the 'big man' he is. Unless, that is, what he says is true, then what a spiteful human being. Something must have gone wrong somewhere.

As for children on trains, as annoying and as irritating as it may be, at the end of the day it is public transport so it can only be excepted really, or at the very least tolerated seeing as anybody could be getting these trains.

Harbornite

Established Member
:lol: It's not the first time Requeststop has posted crap like this. I seem to remember back around c.2012 there was a post of a similar nature. I have a feeling that he's just talking out his arse and that he doesn't really try and act the 'big man' he is. Unless, that is, what he says is true, then what a spiteful human being. Something must have gone wrong somewhere.

Was it to do with attacking a kid who had his feet on seats or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.