• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chillenden Kent Murders - Justice Served Or A Miscarriage Of Justice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MG11

In the early summer of 1996, Lin and Megan Russell were brutally killed on Cherry Garden Lane in Chillenden, amongst the Kent countryside. Local heroin user Michael Stone was charged with their murder. Stone cannot reccall the day in which the mother and daughter were murdered, and Lin's eldest daughter Josie was seriously harmed. Those who know Stone claimed they saw blood on his clothing around the time of the attack. Stone does have previous convictions for attacks on children.

However, NO DNA of Stone has been found to link him to the scene, in fact, his prosecution rested on a witness statement of a prisoner, who was in the next cell to Stone. This witness was Damien Daley, a man currently in prison for murder. In his statement, Daley alluded to a sexual element to the attack, despite Stone having no previous history with sexual offences.

Recently, the case was reviewed by a team of experts in a BBC documentary. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08sxrhz

I'm interested to know what others opinions are on this case. Do you feel there was enough evidence to secure a conviction?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
Miscarriage of justice for me. Michael Stone is probably not a very nice individual but I just don't see sufficient evidence to convict him.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
In the early summer of 1996, Lin and Megan Russell were brutally killed on Cherry Garden Lane in Chillenden, amongst the Kent countryside. Local heroin user Michael Stone was charged with their murder. Stone cannot reccall the day in which the mother and daughter were murdered, and Lin's eldest daughter Josie was seriously harmed. Those who know Stone claimed they saw blood on his clothing around the time of the attack. Stone does have previous convictions for attacks on children.

However, NO DNA of Stone has been found to link him to the scene, in fact, his prosecution rested on a witness statement of a prisoner, who was in the next cell to Stone. This witness was Damien Daley, a man currently in prison for murder. In his statement, Daley alluded to a sexual element to the attack, despite Stone having no previous history with sexual offences.

Recently, the case was reviewed by a team of experts in a BBC documentary. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08sxrhz

I'm interested to know what others opinions are on this case. Do you feel there was enough evidence to secure a conviction?

What do you feel about it?

Bromley boy

Established Member
Evidently the CPS felt there was sufficient evidence to prosecute and the jury felt it had enough to convict Stone. The evidence in the case did indeed seem fairly scant from the point of view of an interested observer.

An theory on this case I've read (I can't remember if they mentioned it in the documentary) was that Levi Belfield (a convicted serial killer, currently serving three life sentences) would be a very worthy suspect of this crime.

It fitted his modus operandi perfectly, occurred long before he was sent to prison and took place in an area of Kent that was known to him. It is also widely suspected that he committed many attacks beyond those he was convicted of.

MG11

What do you feel about it?
I feel legally, he cannot be proven innocent, there was blood on his shirt and the doctor's reccomendation of him being a prime suspect. But, do I feel his guilt can be proved beyond reasonable doubt? No. Foreignsics from the scene do not match with Stone, the e-fit looks unlike Stone, Josie's description of a tall man doesn't fit with Stone's 5 ft 7 stature. The big issue for me is that the DNA doesn't match with that at the scene though. Without being too graphic, the nature of the attack would have required a lot of contact from the attacker, especially if a likely struggle took place.

MG11

Evidently the CPS felt there was sufficient evidence to prosecute and the jury felt it had enough to convict Stone. The evidence in the case did indeed seem fairly scant from the point of view of an interested observer.

An theory on this case I've read (I can't remember if they mentioned it in the documentary) was that Levi Belfield (a convicted serial killer, currently serving three life sentences) would be a very worthy suspect of this crime.

It fitted his modus operandi perfectly, occurred long before he was sent to prison and took place in an area of Kent that was known to him. It is also widely suspected that he committed many attacks beyond those he was convicted of.
The E-fit seems to be of a strong resemblance of Bellfield to me. I am however, reserved on the accuracy of the e-fit, given it is using 1996 technology.

MG11

Miscarriage of justice for me. Michael Stone is probably not a very nice individual but I just don't see sufficient evidence to convict him.
I agree that there is no denying that Stone is an unsavoury character.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I agree that there is no denying that Stone is an unsavoury character.
There are many unsavoury characters around, but most of them aren't murderers. The linking of Levi Bellfield with this case strikes a chord with me, as one of his victims was a friend of mine. His record alone would suggest that another look at this case might be worthwhile.

Up_Tilt_390

This is a bit of tricky one. Is this the whole story? Because judging by what’s been said, all that seems to be against Stone is blood on his shirt at the time of the attack. However, does this blood match that of the victims? If any forensics on the scene don’t match his DNA then they can’t absolutely prove he was there. Blood could’ve come from somewhere else.

The height factor is a dodgy one though. Humans have been known to get height wrong, especially when at a distance. Five foot seven isn’t tall of course, it’s about the average height for a man. But unless there as an extreme drastic difference in height, I would give it quite a big margin of error.

Ultimately, I think the evidence is insufficient. If he had blood in his shirt they may be able to prove he did something dodgy, but with the DNA matches not being in line they can’t necessarily prove he was at the scene, only suspect it. Perhaps the full story hasn’t be told though...

MG11

This is a bit of tricky one. Is this the whole story? Because judging by what’s been said, all that seems to be against Stone is blood on his shirt at the time of the attack. However, does this blood match that of the victims? If any forensics on the scene don’t match his DNA then they can’t absolutely prove he was there. Blood could’ve come from somewhere else.

The height factor is a dodgy one though. Humans have been known to get height wrong, especially when at a distance. Five foot seven isn’t tall of course, it’s about the average height for a man. But unless there as an extreme drastic difference in height, I would give it quite a big margin of error.

Ultimately, I think the evidence is insufficient. If he had blood in his shirt they may be able to prove he did something dodgy, but with the DNA matches not being in line they can’t necessarily prove he was at the scene, only suspect it. Perhaps the full story hasn’t be told though...
I don't think the blood on his shirt was ever examined, maybe someone can correct me?

I see what you're saying about height, it's worth noting that to Josie, as a young child, every adult may have seemed tall. But she did say like her dad though, not just tall. Josie's father is over 6 feet tall. I guess it can be hard to picture exact height though, especially with something as traumatic as this.

MG11

This is a bit of tricky one. Is this the whole story? Because judging by what’s been said, all that seems to be against Stone is blood on his shirt at the time of the attack.
According to the statement of Damien Daley, Stone is said to have confessed what he did to him, through the prison cell wall, using a crack in a heater pipe that runs between them. Some have questioned this though, as some of the wording in his statement, was wording also used in newspaper articles at the time e.g. "paupers". It has raised questions about the possibility of Daley reading about the case, then fabricating a confession. The statement from Daley can be found below.

http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/stone/confession.html

Up_Tilt_390

According to the statement of Damien Daley, Stone is said to have confessed what he did to him, through the prison cell wall, using a crack in a heater pipe that runs between them. Some have questioned this though, as some of the wording in his statement, was wording also used in newspaper articles at the time e.g. "paupers". It has raised questions about the possibility of Daley reading about the case, then fabricating a confession. The statement from Daley can be found below.

http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/stone/confession.html

I shall take a look at this when I return later and get back to you. Thanks for the link.

Antman

Established Member
There are many unsavoury characters around, but most of them aren't murderers. The linking of Levi Bellfield with this case strikes a chord with me, as one of his victims was a friend of mine. His record alone would suggest that another look at this case might be worthwhile.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was Bellfield, presumably the police are looking into it and indeed any other crimes he may have committed?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was Bellfield, presumably the police are looking into it and indeed any other crimes he may have committed?
One would hope so. Though as this crime is "solved" there may be less incentive to reopen unless Stone's conviction was declared unsafe. It's worth noting that Bellfield's most notorious killing (that of Amanda Dowler) is one he was only convicted of after he'd already been convicted of the killings of Marsha McDonnell and of my friend Amelie Delagrange along with a series of other attacks on women in West London.

Jonny

Established Member

It wouldn't surprise me either, after all a blunt instrument to the head is Bellfield's modus operandi. Unfortunately, it will always be a low priority since Bellfield is doing a whole-life term for something else.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There have always been doubts about Stone's guilt from people who take an interest in miscarriages of justice. Apart from lots of press articles ('Sunday Times' Insight among the most forensic) there have, in the past, been at least a couple of previous TV specials, one being an ITV one I recall. The so-called 'confession' has to be added to the list of dubious supposed confessions used to help secure convictions over the years, many of which were later shown to be false, sometimes when the alleged person confessed to admits it was a tissue of lies, often made in order to lessen their own time in custody.

The whole case had a resonance for me as the only time I'd ever visited Chillenden was part of what, if I was asked to provide an example of a perfect day, I would pick. A long, long walk through unspoiled Kentish countryside on a perfect early summer day in 1975 to the picturesque Crabble cricket amphitheatre outside Dover, where Kent achieved their target of over 300 to win their championship match: at least, that's how I remember it! The other reason was that I'd spent three years in the 1980s working for Kent Probation Service so, although I'd long moved from the area, I still took an interest in what occurred there.

At the very least, Stone's conviction needs to be considered at the highest judicial level again. Bellfield would probably never assist police with their enquiries into this or any other case, because that's his nature, so I don't think anyone should get their hopes up there. Incidentally, speaking of vile killers, Charles Manson (the original, not his British imitator) has died, and Rosemary West is apparently in a bad way, medically speaking.

Antman

Established Member
News this morning casting further doubts about Michael Stone's conviction:

New evidence is expected to emerge casting doubt on Michael Stone's conviction for the Russell murders and implicating serial killer Levi Bellfield, BBC Wales understands.

Lin Russell, 45, and Megan, six, were killed in 1996 within months of moving to Kent from north Wales. Josie, nine, survived despite dreadful injuries.

Michael Stone was found guilty in 2001.

His legal team is to release evidence, seen by BBC Wales Investigates, which they say links Bellfield to the crime.

Shaun and Lin Russell with daughters Megan (centre) and Josie (right)Image copyright PA
Image caption
Shaun and Lin Russell with daughters Megan (centre) and Josie (right)

Known as the bus stop killer, Bellfield is currently serving two whole life terms. He would launch so-called blitz attacks on women as they made their way home, bludgeoning them with a hammer from behind.

In 2011 the nightclub bouncer and wheel-clamping contractor was convicted of abducting and murdering 13-year-old Milly Dowler as she walked home from school in Surrey in 2002.

By then he had already been convicted of three other attacks in south-west London - murdering 19-year-old Marsha McDonnell in 2003, Amelie Delagrange, 22, in 2004 and in the same year attempting to kill 18-year-old Kate Sheedy, by running her over. She survived her injuries.

Levi BellfieldImage copyright REX/Shutterstock
Image caption
Serial killer Bellfield worked as a bouncer, drug dealer and wheel clamping contractor

Amelie Delagrange, Kate Sheedy, Milly Dowler, Marsha McDonnell
Image caption
Amelie Delagrange, murder; Kate Sheedy, attempted murder; Milly Dowler, abduction/murder; Marsha McDonnell, murder

It is widely believed by detectives that Bellfield is responsible for numerous other crimes dating back to the 1980s.

And this is not the first time his name has been linked with the Russell murders.

Crimewatch tip off

The mother and two daughters were attacked just before 16:30 BST on 9 July 1996, as they walked with the family dog the two-or-so miles home from school in Chillenden, near Dover.

Half way along a country lane, they were accosted by a man, tied up, made to sit in a copse, blindfolded and bludgeoned with a claw hammer, one by one.

Cherry Garden Lane
Image caption
A car had passed the Russells on the unmade track before the driver stopped and attacked them

Location of attack on the RussellsImage copyright Alamy
When they were found eight hours later, it was thought all were dead.

Josie was found to have a faint pulse. Remarkably, she survived. She lives and works as an artist in north Wales, having returned to Gwynedd with her father soon after the attack.

A year after the murders a tip off to Crimewatch from a psychologist who worked at a local psychiatric assessment centre, led to the arrest of 36-year-old Michael Stone from Gillingham.

Michael Stone
Image caption
Michael Stone

In October 1998, Stone, a heroin addict with a criminal history, was convicted.

In the absence of any forensic evidence, the jury believed the main thrust of the prosecution's case - three prison inmates who claimed Stone had confessed.

Retrial ordered

One of the inmates admitted soon after the trial ended that they had lied and another was discredited.

Stone's legal team challenged his conviction. A retrial was ordered.

But one of the inmates, Damien Daley, then aged 26, held firm to his claim that Stone had confessed to him in grisly detail.

The judge's summing up to the jury was unequivocal: "The case stands or falls on the alleged confession of Damian Daley."

Newspaper report of cell confession
In late 2001 Stone was once again found guilty and given three life sentences.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The official Kent police position that someone has been convicted of the crimes, so case closed and no need to re-open it, frankly stinks. It is as though the history of wrong convictions like the supposed Birmingham pub bombers and other events such as Hillsborough have never happened.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The official Kent police position that someone has been convicted of the crimes, so case closed and no need to re-open it, frankly stinks. It is as though the history of wrong convictions like the supposed Birmingham pub bombers and other events such as Hillsborough have never happened.
Though unless Stone's conviction is quashed, their hands are pretty much tied. If/when that conviction is declared unsafe, the case will re-open.

Antman

Established Member
Though unless Stone's conviction is quashed, their hands are pretty much tied. If/when that conviction is declared unsafe, the case will re-open.

Surely if new evidence has come to light the police are duty bound to investigate it?

Bromley boy

Established Member
For those interested there is a documentary on BBC iplayer where BBC Wales (strangely enough!) discuss the new evidence.

"BBC Wales Investigates - 'Confession' of a Serial killer?"

I sincerely hope Stone is the right man. It would be the most appalling travesty of justice if he isn't, as is sadly looking more and more likely,

Antman

Established Member
For those interested there is a documentary on BBC iplayer where BBC Wales (strangely enough!) discuss the new evidence.

"BBC Wales Investigates - 'Confession' of a Serial killer?"

I sincerely hope Stone is the right man. It would be the most appalling travesty of justice if he isn't, as is sadly looking more and more likely,

I've never been convinced of Michael Stones guilt from the outset. If as seems likely he is cleared then what? I doubt if there will ever be sufficient evidence to convict Levi Bellfield and I don't suppose he's going to willingly confess?

Of course if it was Bellfield, had he been bought to justice sooner then he wouldn't have been able to kill again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.