• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Bubbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPM

Established Member
The word on the street is that the Chiltern 121 bubble cars will be working Aylesbury - Risborough shuttles all day during the Olympics rather than just the ususal peak time only workings. I'll add more details as and when they become clear, but just thought I'd give the "heads up" now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JoeGJ1984

Does Chiltern have both of their bubblecars operational? I know that the first one they had, in Chiltern blue had to go to Tyseley for ages, leaving only the green bubblecar. Is the blue one back now? Has the green one of late been doing all its booked turns?

RPM

Established Member
Does Chiltern have both of their bubblecars operational? I know that the first one they had, in Chiltern blue had to go to Tyseley for ages, leaving only the green bubblecar. Is the blue one back now? Has the green one of late been doing all its booked turns?

Yes both bubble cars are at Aylesbury. The blue one came back from Tyseley a few months ago. They are now used interchangeably depending on maintenance requirements etc.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
if it gets busy at all, is there the potential for the pair of them to be used coupled up?

RPM

Established Member
if it gets busy at all, is there the potential for the pair of them to be used coupled up?

I was discussing this very issue with a group of other drivers just last week and none of us knew if the bubble cars could be used in multiple in passenger service. It just depends if the central door locking and buzzer can be controlled via the jumper cables in the "slave unit". My gut feeling is it probably isn't possible but I really must ask one of the engineers at the depot about this.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Ah, that's a good point- in ye old days they didn't have central door locking.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Well there are two spare pins amongst the 76 pins on the jumpers used on Mark 1 DMUs.....

I was discussing this very issue with a group of other drivers just last week and none of us knew if the bubble cars could be used in multiple in passenger service. It just depends if the central door locking and buzzer can be controlled via the jumper cables in the "slave unit". My gut feeling is it probably isn't possible but I really must ask one of the engineers at the depot about this.

121034 is not wired for through working, so operation of the CDL wouldn't be possible from one set to the other.

Railcar B

The word on the street is that the Chiltern 121 bubble cars will be working Aylesbury - Risborough shuttles all day during the Olympics rather than just the ususal peak time only workings. I'll add more details as and when they become clear, but just thought I'd give the "heads up" now.

Any further news on this? Olympics getting close now!

Running as booked this week with some additionals planned late evening, on Monday 6 August and Tuesday 7 August to suit the revised timetable. 2134 Princes Risborough-Aylesbury being the last trip of the day.

es373

I thought all bubble cars that Chiltern had were put through the scrap a few months ago? Or was this the older ones?

NSEFAN

Established Member
Some of the departmental-usage units which used to be parked up alongside Aylesbury station have been stripped for spares and scrapped, but Chiltern have both 121020 (blue) and 121034 (green) for the Risborough shuttles.

fgwrich

Established Member
Some of the departmental-usage units which used to be parked up alongside Aylesbury station have been stripped for spares and scrapped, but Chiltern have both 121020 (blue) and 121034 (green) for the Risborough shuttles.

Although the odd few have escaped into Preservation - W55019 has now gone to the Llanelli and Mynydd Mawr Railway Company.

http://www.lmmrcoltd.com/news.htm

MK Tom

Established Member
Two of the departmental units are still in use with Chiltern too - I cba to learn their departmental names but to us they're 121022 and 121024. Same goes for the green 117.

fgwrich

Established Member
Two of the departmental units are still in use with Chiltern too - I cba to learn their departmental names but to us they're 121022 and 121024. Same goes for the green 117.

But how 'in use' are they though, as Sandite duties for the past 1 / 2? years have been in the hands of DB 66s.

BestWestern

Established Member
121034 is not wired for through working, so operation of the CDL wouldn't be possible from one set to the other.

But could presumably be achieved if the CDL was operated independently on either car?

RPM

Established Member

"121024", aka 55024, aka 960010, aka "the maroon saloon" is no longer with Chiltern. Presently stored at Tyseley.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But how 'in use' are they though, as Sandite duties for the past 1 / 2? years have been in the hands of DB 66s.

The blue & grey bubble (55022/960022) hasn't had its sandite equipment operational since it arrived at Aylesbury. It is (still) used as a route learner.

The green 117 (960301) has been used for the last couple of years as a standby RHTT unit. The DBS 66s do the main work and the Chiltern unit is run on an "as required" basis, either when the 66s get cancelled or when an additional RHTT is needed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I thought all bubble cars that Chiltern had were put through the scrap a few months ago? Or was this the older ones?

The ones that were scrapped were 960021 (55021) which had been out of use for a few years and 960013 (55030) which was in scrap condition when it came to Aylesbury and was only ever used as a source of spares:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpmarks/5500122001/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpmarks/5584996328/

NXEA!

So are they operating an all day diagram now during the Olympics if someone can confirm? Many thanks. :)

So are they operating an all day diagram now during the Olympics if someone can confirm? Many thanks. :)

As per message #12 in this thread:

Running as booked this week with some additionals planned late evening, on Monday 6 August and Tuesday 7 August to suit the revised timetable. 2134 Princes Risborough-Aylesbury being the last trip of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.