• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern disruption, 11 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctyerkes

Can anyone shed light on the disruption caused (I think) by a signal failure at Princes Risborough today? Pretty severe, including:

2A25 1159 Marylebone-Aylesbury arrived 272 late
1Y32 1111 Oxford-Marylebone 279 late at the time of writing
1R26 1142 Marylebone-Birmingham Moor St terminated at Princes Risborough at 1500

and dozens of cancellations.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Station codes can be used, but you need to write the station out in full first before using the acronym. I’ve no idea where PRR is.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Can you please replace the three-letter codes with full station names (at least the first time you use them)? I know where Oxford and Marylebone are, but not sure about the others.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Looks to have been a complete loss of signalling affecting the entire Marylebone ASC (Area Signalling Centre) area, which is essentially Marylebone to Aylesbury Vale Parkway/Oxford Parkway/Aynho Junction.

This should be virtually impossible, given I'd hope there's at least a backup generator, if not a full secondary power supply, so I suspect someone may be in for a meeting with no tea and no biscuits.

cm39275

I can confirm after reading internal rail systems that Marylebone signalling centre lost both its north and south panels at the same to which caused all signals south of Aynho junction and Wolvecote tunnel (Oxford) to revert and be held at red until network rail engineers managedto rectify the fault which lasted from about 1140ish this morning until roughly 1630 this evening. The fault also caused London Road level crossing at Bicester to fail with lights flashing but the barriers to stay in the up position leading to disruption to one of the major roads into and out of Bicester.

sammyg901

They did a good job of being ready to go once the problem was resolved, the evening peak ran pretty well

ctyerkes

I can confirm after reading internal rail systems that Marylebone signalling centre lost both its north and south panels at the same to which caused all signals south of Aynho junction and Wolvecote tunnel (Oxford) to revert and be held at red until network rail engineers managedto rectify the fault which lasted from about 1140ish this morning until roughly 1630 this evening. The fault also caused London Road level crossing at Bicester to fail with lights flashing but the barriers to stay in the up position leading to disruption to one of the major roads into and out of Bicester.
Thanks for the information.

alexx

The London Road Bicester crossing was up with no flashing lights but closed to traffic last night, photo attached. Not quite sure the state of the crossing last night but trains were still running and pedestrians were still able to cross. Seemed in the same state about 7.30am this morning.

IMG_5221.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.