• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Mainline on a Sunday to the Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Today I rode on the Chiltern Railways trains to London from Solihull. And to my surprise set 67018 & 82301 turned up! The ride was excellent; the train quiet with no engines on the coaches and the interior tastefully done with curtains, leather armrests and excellent legroom(plus the friendly Expresso bar) The train was only two or three minutes lat until we reached just before Kilburn. We stopped and stood there for up to 40 minutes. The crew kept us informed and said that a trespasser had been hit by a train and the ambulance was picking him up (he luckily survived, I hope). Whilst it rained heavily outside we were safe in the bright, cosy interior of the Mk3s. We made it to our event easily on though on the Underground and had a great time at the Water Polo. On the return trip Chiltern weren't so good. The service was in the hands of 168107 and no catering. The train itself was fine apart from the return of a harsh sounding engine (too used to the quiet Mk3) but it is annoying that an intercity service has no catering. There was no time to pick up anything like a coffee at Marylebone as we were closely timed on the Underground after the event finished. Anyway Chiltern got us back and really it would be great if the Loco sets were the norm. They are much better especially with the super catering option.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheJRB

Established Member
Lucky to get a 67 set on a weekend; I take it this is an Olympic only thing. It would be nice to see them out on weekends in general though.

I do think there should be more trolley services on the railway. It's one of the advantages the "traditional" routes in Kent have over HS1. The appearance of a trolley is always a welcome sight. :D

Regarding DMUs on intercity routes, I understand what you're saying but I think it very much depends on the units involved. Turbostars seem to have a horrible ear-ringing pitch to their whine while travelling at speed and it really gets to me after a while.

Clip

Established Member
IIRC there are selected services on the DMUs they use that do have a trolley but cant remember which ones.

The 168/2s are fine, with the engine tending to be much lower in whine, but the 168/1s and 168/0s do make quite a noisy ride at speed with some of the panels humming with the engine!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Sounds like overall a good journey was had, nice that loco hauled trains being used, but this was no doubt owing to the Olympics, I wonder how well over the next couple of weeks the transport system will infact cope. I travelled around Southwest London including Kingston and Wimbledon on Saturday, with Cycle and Tennis events nearby and all went very well indeed and that including the Northern & District Lines as well as SWT. :D

No probably not! The underground was very good as well, including the Central. Next time I'll get on that S stock though instead of the C stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.