• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Mainline Silver Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie

Established Member
Are there different standards of refurbishment for the Mk3s used on these services?

I travelled Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street on Fri 4 May 12 taking advantage of the non-charging Business Zone and the carriage looked to be to full WMSR spec, except the loo didn't have a Dyson airblade but instead had paper towels. Returning from Moor St to Marylebone yesterday (1555) I sat in Std. The interior of the carriage looed to be pretty much to WMSR standard BUT the loo looked likely a lightly refreshed normal Mk3 toilet (ie no chrome etc and the old shelf fittings). Still well worth 25p each way though!

Has my memory completely gone (contemporary railway publications suggest not) or are there indeed different standardss for the refurbishment?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TEW

Established Member
Some of the coaches have upgraded toilets and different lighting, whilst some don't, but still have the refurbished interior area. There is then at least one carriage in a silver set which doesn't have wi-fi and still has a Virgin interior.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There is then at least one carriage in a silver set which doesn't have wi-fi and still has a Virgin interior.

That's 12059; it's the one I always sit in if it's in the formation I'm using because it's the only one with a decent number of airline seats in it and also the only one that doesn't sear your eyes out with zillion watt lighting!

bronzeonion

It seems with the longer rakes seen now with Chiltern, the coaches WSMR refurbished are not enough so it looks like Chiltern have done a cheaper quicker refurb on the remaining blue/grey vehicles WSMR were operating which does not include new lights or curtains.

RPM

Established Member
Three coaches (12173/4/5) were given a lighter version of the W&S refurbishment that retained the original toilets and saloon lighting. This was done by W&S not Chiltern although the coaches were only delivered a matter of weeks before the demise of W&S. They will eventually all be altered again anyway when they go for powered door fitting and have the interiors tweaked to revised Chiltern spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.