• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Rail's Train Manager Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

CR TM

Hi everyone,

I have been offered a conditional position of a Train Manager with Chiltern Rail, pending satisfactory reference, medical clearance etc etc.

I was wondering if there are any current TMs working for Chiltern Rail on this website and would kindly provide any feedback about the job in itself, company etc.

I have few questions in mind and would appreciate if anyone could answer them. If you would rather not say anything on a public forum, please feel free to PM me.

* What's the current roster like? Is it a sort of 5 on, 2 off or does it vary? I understand that I will be doing an average of 35 hrs week, but does one get rest days consecutively i.e. work 4 days, get 2 off, or is it more like you get a rest here and there. How long in advance does one know what shift they are doing?

* Can employees swap shifts among themselves, provided we don't contravene the 12 hr rule or does one have to follow the roster as it is?

* What's the longest diagram a TM is expected to do? 12 hr shift?

* I understand, with some TOCs, you get incentives for working on RDs, Sundays, Public holidays, with time and half pay, double etc. Is it the same case with Chiltern too? If so, what is the incentive?

* Do TMs get any commission on sales made on board the train?

* Are there any pros/cons of working for Chiltern? I have heard some really good feedback about them in general but would like to hear from people directly working for them.

I am really excited and happy to have been offered this position and look forward to working for Chiltern. Just need to complete all the formalities, and hopefully I should get a start date soon. I would really appreciate if anyone could answer all or few of the above questions - so that I can plan my personal/work life around accordingly.

This is my first post here but I have been lurking on this forum for a good few years now, and if it wasn't for the excellent advise given on this forum by members, I don't think I would have got the job. So, I would like to thank all of you for your efforts, dedication and contributions on this forum.

Regards,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KiloMike

Hello, first of all congratulations. It's honestly a great achievement to have been given a TM job offer! I know so many people who I feel would make TMs who didn't make the cut.
I'll send you a PM.

CR TM

KM ^,

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me. I appreciate how I lucky I am in getting this job.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

hihohelp

hi can you remember any of your questions asked at interview? i know its been awhile since you got the job but it would help me ?

GMCK

Evening all,

I have been invited to the assessment day for Trainee Train Manager with Chiltern- as with the above post, can anybody with any relevant or useful info provide any advice for what to expect?

I've passed the London Midland assessment but can only assume Chiltern have their own criteria. I too would love to join the team, it certainly sounds like a positive employer to be alongside!

Thanks, Guy.

Sparrow

Hi CR TM,

Congratulations on getting the job as Train Manager - Well done mate brilliant success

I understand that station staff do get time and half for working Sundays but I'm not sure if that apples for on board staff. Rotas also change so some weeks you do more days but you always get a long weekend each month.

I have my interview for the same role next week and wondered if you could offer any tips for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.