• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways-Aylesbury Drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottychoo

Afternoon all, was wondering if someone could give me some info on Chiltern at Aylesbury including drivers t & c's , is it a 4 day week?, Single rest days? Long weekend every x weeks? How often are the night shifts? Are there many shed/prep turns on nights or is that a separate link. Salary? Etc.
Typical diagram?
A copy of the roster would be fab!
Are Chiltern still as good a company to work for as ive always heard?
Many thanks
Martin

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jen1986

can anyone shed some light on this, im also interested please. particular earliest start time?
thanks

whoosh

Established Member
I did have a copy of a roster from a few years ago, but I can't seem to find it now.
I do remember 50% of Saturdays were rest days and believe this is a written down condition.
It wasn't a 4 day week - about 4.37 days a week on average as turn length averaged 8h00.
There were some single rest days because of this, as some weeks were 5 day weeks.
Sundays outside the working week but committed.

RPM

Established Member
Its a 5 day week. Sundays are outside the working week - you are expected to work them unless you give two weeks notice that you don't want to. Long weekends every 4 to 5 weeks roughly. Rest days are bunched up to make the long weekends 5 or 6 days off. Other weeks you get a single mid week rest day or a Saturday off. Earliest book on is currently 04.21 for an eight hour cover turn. Earliest running turn is 04.22 and that's only a 5 hour job. You get a week of nights two to three times a year. Night turns are 100% depot/shunting, but no prepping as that is all done by fitters. There are also a number of day time shunt turns in the roster. There is a small depot link but it is reserved for drivers with medical restrictions. Ususally plenty of overtime available for those that want it.
Jobs can be anything from 5 to 10 hours. Most are round about 7 to 8 hours. Content is a good mixture of local and class 1 work. There are a handful of turns that take you to Birmingham, lots of stoppers and semi-fasts between MYB and Gerrards Cross, High Wycombe etc. Lots of Oxford jobs, some quite fast/limited stops. A lot of running over the "Met" - which means you have to do LU rules as well as the normal ones.
Current salary is £56,907

jen1986

thankyou so much guys, thats very much appreciated. I have a DMI coming up, any last minute tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.