• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Railways Trainee Driver Vacancies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

choochoochoo

Established Member
Can I just ask what people usually wear to the day 1 assessments? Would people recommend a suit or just smart dress? I obviously don't want to set a bad example by turning up under/over dressed for the occasion.

I am also right in thinking that we won't be interviewed at any point next Wednesday aren't I? I'm going to be prepping for the assessments but want to ensure that I shouldn't also be prepping for any sort of interview.

Sorry for what may seem like stupid questions but this is my first assessment and I want to give it my best shot!!

Unless you know for sure there is interviews, dress smart casual. No need for suit/tie, but don't wear trainers/jeans/trackie bottoms. The non-interview assessment exercises require you to be comfortable.

Sean1878

Thanks for the advice guys and good luck to everyone else taking part in the assessments on Wednesday

12guard4

People asking for advice on what to wear all I can say is this. Do you want to make a good first impression? Will it harm you to go dressed up in a suit? The answer is no. When I did my guard testing and driver testing a few wore jeans but majority came smartly dressed in a suit and tie.

bILLOO

I wore a suit to all my assessment days. No harm done, as you say. I was shocked to see people turning up in scruffy jeans and the such.

The assessment days are done by an outside agency, the OPC at Watford, who don't care what you wear, it's what you are comfortable with.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The assessment days are done by an outside agency, the OPC at Watford, who don't care what you wear, it's what you are comfortable with.

Not sure if it's changed since I attended one, but the paper-based tests were administered by Chiltern staff, with OPC doing the computer-based ones and MMI.

I would strongly advise against turning up in jeans to either day. You never know if the person next to you whilst you're waiting is your potential future Manager or not!

12guard4

That's not true for all of the assessments. Unless you work for OPC I don't think you can say with certainty they don't care what you wear.

dwizzle123

Found out that I have been invited for an assessment centre in Aylesbury having applied on the basis that there would be positions opening up at Moor Street or Stourbridge (which it did say in the initial application). They really haven't given us much time to prepare for the assessments, just glad Ive got some time off my current job to prepare which was a bit of a stroke of luck with the timing of everything. Looking forward to meeting those who have the assessment centre on the 16th.

choochoochoo

Established Member
That's not true for all of the assessments. Unless you work for OPC I don't think you can say with certainty they don't care what you wear.

I don't work for Opc but have asked someone who does work there and know for a fact that they don't expect suits but don't look favourably on jeans/trainers.

As for other test centres, I'd be surprised if the test administrator makes a note if you're in a suit or not. They see so many applicants they're hardly going to remember your name unless you make a really bad impression.

How many people who have successfully gone through the process have actually seen a management 'planted' fake candidate after they've started ? I think that's just myth.

12guard4

I don't work for Opc but have asked someone who does work there and know for a fact that they don't expect suits but don't look favourably on jeans/trainers.

As for other test centres, I'd be surprised if the test administrator makes a note if you're in a suit or not. They see so many applicants they're hardly going to remember your name unless you make a really bad impression.

How many people who have successfully gone through the process have actually seen a management 'planted' fake candidate after they've started ? I think that's just myth.

I did my driver testing at the TOCs head offices with an OPC member just coordinating, so you don't need a manager "planted" to be spotted. You'll stand out like a sore thumb in jeans and trainers. To say it's looks favourable to be in such attire is really a weird and highly inaccurate thing to say.

Max287

Just to echo what others have said; I say the tests at a TOC's headquarters also, there were 32 people in the room taking the tests that day, every one of them was dressed smartly, wearing at least shirt and trousers if not a tie, most were in a full suit. The tests were administered by an OPC representative but there were several managers milling about in reception and the corridors, many of who said hello in passing and would surely not have been impressed if people were not dressed smartly.

The way I looked at it was, is it going to hurt me to put on a suit and make a real effort? No. Is there any possible chance, however small, that it could work against me? Yes.

It's a no brainier in my opinion

Knowledgeboy

Hi does anyone know if successful at the first initial assessment how long between being invited back to take the remainder of assessments and MMI interview is normally. I've got assess ment Wednesday and am going away for a week on the Friday so hoping it's a least two weeks? Anybody know. Cheers

Sim

Good luck with assesments guys!

Anyone still not heard? Finding this a bit strange? I'm going to call tomorrow and see what they say.

When I did my assessments with them I found it to be a gap of about 2-3 weeks. But then this time seems very different to when I applied for depot driver. I heard within the week that I had asssesments with the role.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Just to echo what others have said; I say the tests at a TOC's headquarters also, there were 32 people in the room taking the tests that day, every one of them was dressed smartly, wearing at least shirt and trousers if not a tie, most were in a full suit. The tests were administered by an OPC representative but there were several managers milling about in reception and the corridors, many of who said hello in passing and would surely not have been impressed if people were not dressed smartly.

The way I looked at it was, is it going to hurt me to put on a suit and make a real effort? No. Is there any possible chance, however small, that it could work against me? Yes.

It's a no brainier in my opinion

I'm certainly not advocating turning up looking like a bum. Trousers and collared shirt is all. No need for a suit though at testing stage. Interviews definitely wear a suit. Although did bus driver interview in slacks and got the job !!

bILLOO

Good luck with assesments guys!

Anyone still not heard? Finding this a bit strange? I'm going to call tomorrow and see what they say.

When I did my assessments with them I found it to be a gap of about 2-3 weeks. But then this time seems very different to when I applied for depot driver. I heard within the week that I had asssesments with the role.

It seems that everybody with the tests already passed have yet to hear.

It seems that everybody with the tests already passed have yet to hear.

Maybe they are waiting to see how many applicants pass the assessment and are using the already passed the tests lost as a back up incase everyine fails!!!!

bILLOO

Or maybe they'll receive a separate e-mail giving the time and location for the DMI...? ;)

Sim

I called recruitment earlier and they were really helpful.

She said that because I had already passed assessment I have been successful and they will be in touch next week to confirm line interviews as they still haven't been planned.

So I take it that's the same for everyone still waiting to hear.

Sim

She also said stage 2 of assessment was end of March beginning of May for those who asked about timings of assesments

Knowledgeboy

She said that because I had already passed assessment I have been successful and they will be in touch next week to confirm line interviews as they still haven't been planned.

Have you passed assessments previously with chiltern or another TOC. I think they may get back to some more people this afternoon for assessment next Wednesday. Can't imagine they would only have one day of tests for potential candidates. I have mine tomorrow. Can't wait

Sim

With chiltern last March/April
I think they did 2 days of assessments when I did mine last year,
But then they had too many people pass and didn't expect it.
So they could be doing it differently this time round and only holding the 1 assessment day?
Good luck for tomorrow.

Knowledgeboy

So they could be doing it differently this time round and only holding the 1 assessment day?
Good luck for tomorrow.

Thanks mate. Been working my backside off every day so hopefully the hard work pays off. GB is the big worry. Getting about 11 lines down consistently but still feel like to many omissions. So far the best I've managed is 4.

Sim

Try and aim for 10 lines with 0 omissions.
Just slow down and see if it helps.
I remember on assessment the group Bordon was clearer and more spaced out than the sheets I had. Was alot easier on assessment day I found.
I think I remember getting down to about 10 lines.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Definitely a day on the 16th too. There's no such thing as too many people passing, all they need to do is apply higher cut off scores, "enhanced scores" if you will. They also only gave people a week's notice for the assessments so practice time will be limited.

So there are people who have previously passed the assessments who are being allocated dmi's, but equally there was one bloke who said he got rejected even though he had assessment passes. From two assessment days they'll probably get 15-20 passes. Add in maybe 10 straight to dmi candidates..... nearly there folks!

Max287

Good luck for tomorrow.
Interesting. Wondering if that may or may not be the case with me as I haven't heard a thing still. Passed my tests already but not with Chiltern. Still don't know what to think but we must be getting closer to the answers now!

Good luck everyone doing the tests over the next two days. Stay calm, focus and relax :)

Sim

Interesting. Wondering if that may or may not be the case with me as I haven't heard a thing still. Passed my tests already but not with Chiltern. Still don't know what to think but we must be getting closer to the answers now!

Good luck everyone doing the tests over the next two days. Stay calm, focus and relax :)

Give them a call and they will confirm if you've been successful at application. I would say you have as it seems all the rejections have gone out at application stage. They lady in recruitment was really helpfull when I spoke to her.

Max287

Give them a call and they will confirm if you've been successful at application. I would say you have as it seems all the rejections have gone out at application stage. They lady in recruitment was really helpfull when I spoke to her.
Thanks for the tip Sim. I've just spoken to them and they confirmed that I have been successful and will be invited to a line manager interview!

332 > 444

You two have passed assessments previously then? I'm in the same boat but not heard anything so I'm guessing the same for me, or should I phone up?

If so, is their number on their website?

RUUDBOY

I am in the same position as yourself. Passed both assessments last year, I'm actually in the talent pool for another TOC, and I haven't yet heard from Chiltern.
However I called them today and they weren't as helpful as they were for yourself. I was told they will contact me in due course as they had 700 applicants and they are still contacting people. Wouldn't give me an indication whether I passed the paper sift.

Status
Not open for further replies.