• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Silver Mainline,is it best MK3 refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

cambsy

On Moderation
am at Banbury on 08.37 from Marylebone to Birmingham Moor St,just done it in 50 mins,the stock is excellent,no high back seats,has curtains,been refurbished to high standard,have to say the MK3 in my opinion is lushest stuck on railways,a proper train,so comfortable,the service on Chiltern is really good,think they done great job,id say it best MK3 refurb

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
To be fair, the refurbishments were carried out by the Wrexham, Shropshire & Marylebone Railway company. Obviously they had close links with Chiltern from day one, sharing a lot of staff (especially at management level) but I think credit needs to be given to the correct people here.

martinsh

Established Member
well if it isn't the best Mark 3 refurbishment then I'd like to see the one that is !

Every time I travel on it, I have to keep checking to make sure I'm not in First Class. Hopefully when they get all the sets refurbished they'll introduce a few more runs with then.

RPM

Established Member
Before the W&S sets became available the original plan for the Chiltern mk 3s was to have an interior very similar to the 168s with one toilet and both vestibules removed to speed up loading and unloading. I'm not sure now if the additional coaches will be done to this spec or if they will be refurbished to match the ex-W&S coaches.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
The current rakes have coaches which are not up to WSMR standards on them, but they are painted silver and have Chiltern Mainline branding. These are the ones which have a sticker on the outside telling you to walk to the next coach for the WiFi zone. Inside they have more airline style seats, much like the ex west coast coaches were. I expect when the sixth coach is added to the rakes next year they will be the more basic (but still quite nice) refurbs too. It is worth pointing out that the ex WSMR coaches vastly outnumber the non ex WSMR ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.