• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

L.M_DannyC

Morning everyone!

I was wondering if anybody could give me a little bit of information about Birmingham Moor Street depot? Is it a 4 or 5 day week? Are Sundays in ir out? What routes and traction they sign etc...

Also, once passed out as a driver is an amount of time you have to do until you're on full pay? If so, how long is that?

Any help appreciated :)

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
OK. Thanks for that more specific info. Surprised no other depots sign Paddington.

There isn't enough work to Paddington to justify it. One train a day means that only link 1 at Aylesbury sign it (there isn't much difference between the links at Aylesbury, it's mostly Paddington and the Bubble Car which Link 1 get to play with. There may be a bit more Birmingham work too but don't quote me on that).

When diversions into Paddington happen due to engineering then there tends to be a driver swap at West Ruislip.

Morning everyone!

I was wondering if anybody could give me a little bit of information about Birmingham Moor Street depot? Is it a 4 or 5 day week? Are Sundays in ir out? What routes and traction they sign etc...

Also, once passed out as a driver is an amount of time you have to do until you're on full pay? If so, how long is that?

Moor Street depot are on a 5 day week. All of Chiltern are. Sundays are outside. Moor Street drivers sign all of Chiltern's routes except for South Ruislip - Paddington, Aylesbury - Aylesbury Vale Parkway and Bicester - Oxford. This year they crossed Princes Risborough - Aylesbury off of their route cards too, I suspect that may come back at some point in the not too distant future.

Traction wise they sign Class 168s, Class 165s, Class 67 (soon to be 68) & DVT. No Class 172 yet but that will probably happen sooner or later.

Trainee drivers go up to the full salary as soon as they drive their first train on their own. I'm pretty sure fully qualified drivers coming in are on the full rate when they are road learning too.

Last edited:

L.M_DannyC

Morning everyone!

Moor Street depot are on a 5 day week. All of Chiltern are. Sundays are outside. Moor Street drivers sign all of Chiltern's routes except for South Ruislip - Paddington, Aylesbury - Aylesbury Vale Parkway and Bicester - Oxford. This year they crossed Princes Risborough - Aylesbury off of their route cards too, I suspect that may come back at some point in the not too distant future.

Traction wise they sign Class 168s, Class 165s, Class 67 (soon to be 68) & DVT. No Class 172 yet but that will probably happen sooner or later.

Trainee drivers go up to the full salary as soon as they drive their first train on their own. I'm pretty sure fully qualified drivers coming in are on the full rate when they are road learning too.[/QUOTE]

Many thanks for that, appreciated!

TDK

Established Member
Trainee drivers go up to the full salary as soon as they drive their first train on their own. I'm pretty sure fully qualified drivers coming in are on the full rate when they are road learning too.

When I was at Moor Street fully qualified drivers were on full pay from day 1 even if it was induction

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Yeah. I wasn't sure if it had changed since Arriva took over because they have a tiered salary scheme at XC.

Latecomer

Good info folks, thanks. I'm qualified so i's good to know about starting on full salary from day one. I would miss the 4 day week but swings and roundabouts I guess.

Gash923

Due to the high number of applicants, Chiltern are not accepting anymore applications for this vacancy. Just deleted mine after completing most of it <(

junior_7178

Aggghhhh. Took a paper copy of the application form away on holiday with me and spent hours filling it in. Just got home and stuck it in the post and now I've seen this thread. Aggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited:

Latecomer

It is extremely common for trainee jobs to be pulled just a couple of days after the advert is placed. It is one of those jobs that an awful lot of people go for, even though the larger percentage won't make it through the first sift. If anyone sees a trainee position in future and is serious about applying I would get the application in as soon as it is practical to do it, even if it means working on it into the small hours. That said, give it the attention it needs, but don't sit on it for more than 24 hours.

DRFT101

I've heard that Chiltern are making people take the assessments again, even if you completed and passed the revised ones last year with them. Anyone else heard that? I wouldn't be chuffed to have to do the SJE again, when it's such a challenge getting through in the first place.

danners

Got the dreaded email this morning saying thanks but no thanks. Completed the new tests with FGW last September, and only live 30mins away so must of naffed up my application. Probably the end for me now, at 42 its time to be realistic and take it that it's not meant to be. Good luck to all those who get through.

Bradders1984

I've just received an email saying my application has been unsuccessful. Not surprised really as I would have needed to relocate to fulfil the position.

387star

On Moderation
I wouldn't be to disheartened mate.
I've just had the same email, I'm 34 and have 12 years experience as a Guard having passed all the latest driver assessments and a within a local commute.
My application was spot on, so I've no idea what they're looking for :'(

Who have you applied for and who dl you currently work for ?

L.M_DannyC

I too got the dreaded email on Friday, unsuccessful this time. I get the feeling they may be recruiting from within.

Tomblebee

I got an email confirming i had made the first assesment day which was on the 23rd September, they had to choose around 50 out of 400 applicants, i then recieved a letter on 2nd of October, confirming had passed the first set of tests, and will need to attend the next assessment with a multi modal interview on the 16th October.

EssexJay

Good luck Tomblebee, looks like we're in the same boat, through to round 2 :)

I was surprised, the group bourdon for me wasn't too bad, it was the TRP part 2 that nearly got me.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Do new drivers sign everything? Any chance you lot will be signing the 68s? Not too sure on how Chiltern work! But good luck all! :D

RPM

Established Member
Depends which depot you're offered. Moor Street & Stourbridge will need to sign locos as core traction. Marylebone it is only some drivers that sign locos so it would not apply to new starters. Aylesbury & Banbury don't sign locos at all.

Likewise there is variation in routes signed.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I strongly suspect Banbury will get locos back on their traction cards once the new shed opens. The current crop of trainees are all going to Banbury and Aylesbury as far as I am aware so the locomotive point is moot, but again, I suspect they would have been kept away from loco work for a couple of years had they been at depots which sign them.

Last edited:

js47604

No problem at Marylebone as trainees will be allocated to Aylesbury and the Northern depots,pre-qualifieds recruited for Marylebone.The trainees must then complete 18 months driving at their allocated depot before being able to move.The latest plans at Banbury Depot do not include loco and stock movements in there and retraining at Banbury for loco work is not on the agenda.

Greg1205

I didn't even get any reply. First couldn't send my application form as the mail box was full, contacted a manager, sent my application and never heard since. Is that usual for the company?

387star

On Moderation
How did people completed the app by hand or email?

Some of the text boxes look very small

Status
Not open for further replies.