• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern trainee vacancies - (Marylebone / Aylesbury / Banbury)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassy j

Great company, small toc so there is quite a family feel. Great T&Cs.
Starts and finishes depend on depots... but you are looking roughly at 04.20 start, 01.30 finish as a rough guide.
I would be applying for the marylebone depot. Any possible disadvantages? Never heard anyone say any negatives about chiltern. Is a new pay deal imminent?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesad390

I would be applying for the marylebone depot. Any possible disadvantages? Never heard anyone say any negatives about chiltern. Is a new pay deal imminent?
No disadvantages from being at Marylebone. Slightly different work as they sign locos and 172s, and the work is slightly different - more Birmingham work.

baz962

Established Member
Oh ok someone mentioned that arriva have scraped the training salary in another thread. What is the earliest and latest finishes? Pros and cons of chiltern based on your experiences?
I think you misread . Arriva rail London are getting rid of the first year salary . There is a training salary and that is staying. When you qualify , you are on a first year rate and that's what is going.

Cassy j

I think you misread . Arriva rail London are getting rid of the first year salary . There is a training salary and that is staying. When you qualify , you are on a first year rate and that's what is going.
Ohhh yea ok that makes sense now. Thanks a lot

E16 Cyclist

Marylebone is classified as a non residential depot, as a result the earliest start is 0530 (there is one outside the roster starting at 0420 but it’s a loco job and there’s also a volunteers list) and any finish after midnight gets you a taxi home.Nights are every 10 weeks and those jobs are actually very easy tonight I’m doing the last one to oxford spend the night there and do the first one back in the morning

Forgot to mention, they like you to have done two years driving before you learn locos which is initially on wembley depot before on the mainline

Cassy j

Marylebone is classified as a non residential depot, as a result the earliest start is 0530 (there is one outside the roster starting at 0420 but it’s a loco job and there’s also a volunteers list) and any finish after midnight gets you a taxi home.Nights are every 10 weeks and those jobs are actually very easy tonight I’m doing the last one to oxford spend the night there and do the first one back in the morning

Forgot to mention, they like you to have done two years driving before you learn locos which is initially on wembley depot before on the mainline
Do you have to stay in hotels often? How often do you get a break during your shift ? Thanks for the detailed answer

E16 Cyclist

Do you have to stay in hotels often? How often do you get a break during your shift ? Thanks for the detailed answer

It’s not a lodging turn so while you’re welcome to try and get some sleep during your break if you wish you have your break in a official pnb (Personal needs break) location and occasionally will be required to do a shunt move or two

Breaks vary depending on the diagram you’re on, you get at least one main break but there’s also what’s called a continuous driving break to ensure you haven’t been in the chair for too long. It all depends on the length of the shift

It's now three weeks since I got the email from Chiltern asking for my info for the next stage. Has anyone else heard back? I've not had anything further from them. :s

sumperan

What did the new email state mate?
Was an acknowledgement of my assessment passes and that they would be in contact going forward, however I've just looked at it and my application went through on the internal vacancy portal...
Which in hindsight may have some bearing if no one else has received any news

B1990

Was an acknowledgement of my assessment passes and that they would be in contact going forward, however I've just looked at it and my application went through on the internal vacancy portal...
Which in hindsight may have some bearing if no one else has received any news
I presume there assessments from another occasion?

D5581

My portal is now showing 'Assessment'.
I've already got the standard psychometrics tests under my belt. Am I correct in believing it is just the Group Bourdon I will have to redo to get the enhanced pass?

Jaytrains

I've already got the standard psychometrics tests under my belt. Am I correct in believing it is just the Group Bourdon I will have to redo to get the enhanced pass?

Yeahh group bourdon and vse i think

Did you receive an email from them inviting you to an assessment?

TheGoldfish

And the DFFT if not done it already I would think ?

Aftv49

What psychometric tests do Chiltern Railway make applicants do?

I was led to believe it was the following -

TEA-Occ, GB, TRP1 and TRP2. The computer tests and the MMI.

sumperan

I assume emails will be going out soon if you portal status has changed,

Mine however is still showing "application in process"

I have also received an email to attend an interview over Skype, I'm assuming this would be a DMI as have had the assessments done prior with my current company

D5581

Yeahh group bourdon and vse i think

Did you receive an email from them inviting you to an assessment?

Not had an email yet. I've already done the VSE as part of a Freightliner application.
Did the DFFT with GWR.

B1990

It seems they might be approaching people who have done assessments previously first?

I haven’t done any so may have to wait a fair while longer or may just be forgotten

C J Snarzell

Established Member

I have also received an email to attend an interview over Skype, I'm assuming this would be a DMI as have had the assessments done prior with my current company

I know from experience of applying for anything on the Deutsche Bahn site (Chiltern applications are done on here), the application is marked as 'Application in Process' if you are generally in the paper sift stage. It will usually change to 'Assessment' on your status when you get invited for things like interviews, assessment days or on-line stuff.

CJ

Jaytrains

Which company is that?

sumperan

Which company is that?
Am currently at DB

I know from experience of applying for anything on the Deutsche Bahn site (Chiltern applications are done on here), the application is marked as 'Application in Process' if you are generally in the paper sift stage. It will usually change to 'Assessment' on your status when you get invited for things like interviews, assessment days or on-line stuff.

CJ
Also from experience the DB portal is sometimes unreliable, I would solely go on direct communications such as emails from HR or Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.