• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chiltern's "clever" advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I think it is obvious that in any race to / from somewhere that isn't in West London Virgin will win by quite a margin.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
I think it is obvious that in any race to / from somewhere that isn't in West London Virgin will win by quite a margin.

Although the endpoint at Birmingham end will also be significant; if for instance you chose to start the big bronze bull in front of the Bullring you could get to a train at Moor Street faster than at New Street on account of the former being closer, smaller and easier to navigate.

Of course this race is never going to be fair as you can't make the trains depart when you want; one person will inevitably be waiting on their platform for as much as 20 minutes, which will almost certainly lose them the race.

TomJ93

Harrow would be interesting with the rule the train must go into central London and back out.

The clocks outside Canary Wharf would be ideal, the car could easily catch up whilst the Chiltern user has the jubilee, but the VT user has to change at bank onto the DLR.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Although the endpoint at Birmingham end will also be significant; if for instance you chose to start the big bronze bull in front of the Bullring you could get to a train at Moor Street faster than at New Street on account of the former being closer, smaller and easier to navigate.

Of course this race is never going to be fair as you can't make the trains depart when you want; one person will inevitably be waiting on their platform for as much as 20 minutes, which will almost certainly lose them the race.

Indeed, similarly you also have more trains an hour on Virgin. Unless it is not done simultaneously (as in they are done at separate times so no one way has an advantage) then it is never going to be a balanced and fair test.

Eagle

Established Member
The clocks outside Canary Wharf would be ideal, the car could easily catch up whilst the Chiltern user has the jubilee, but the VT user has to change at bank onto the DLR.

The Jubilee isn't a very direct route though.

And it depends whether the car is going to plough straight through the city via the A40/A41, Euston Road, City Road and the A13, or whether they decide to go all the way round the North Circular to meet the A13 going the other way.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Indeed, similarly you also have more trains an hour on Virgin. Unless it is not done simultaneously (as in they are done at separate times so no one way has an advantage) then it is never going to be a balanced and fair test.

And all Virgin's trains take about the same amount of time, whereas Chiltern trains alternate between fast and not fast, with a considerable time difference between the two.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Other than my contention that the Bullring bull is about the same distance from Moor Street and New Street stations (it might be slightly closer to the platforms at Moor St, but we are talking a matter of yards) this is like one of those Top Gear races where its not actually won or lost in travelling, the "rules" dictate who wins. I think the very fact that Chiltern are even a part of this discussion is a bit of a win for them though.

barrykas

Established Member
Of course, for it to be a true "Top Gear" type challenge, it'd have to be rigged in favour of the car(s), by having the start point somewhere like Stubber's Green (near Walsall and the Motorway). ;)

Cheers,

Barry

barrykas

Established Member
On a Sunday, just for good measure, given there's a Virgin at 05:29 and a Chiltern at 05:46 on weekdays.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Ahh, but hang on, if two cars are going down, would the drivers have to abide by the speed limits all the way, just like trains, or can you put your foot down so to speak. I suppose it's at you own risk of getting caught

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Interesting to see such intense discussion about travel times re: Chiltern/Virgin competition. It's almost as if nobody has realised the large steps made by both in terms of improving the overall passenger experience that has actually been central to the rivalry!

MK Tom

Established Member
I think London Midland's advertising is a little bit questionable in saying 'three per hour' when cleverly not mentioning that it's only two per hour on the way back. LM offer fantastic fares though, if you are prepared to sit on a 350 with your knees up your nose for fifty five million years.

In my mind the 168s are among the most comfortable units on the railway today and Chiltern's investment in their line is excellent, especially the mark 3 sets which I hope to see more of before too long. However Virgin have done so much excellent work to the WCML and their service on it and my SOLE gripe with them is the lack of service to MKC on Liverpool/Glasgow services. That aside all three operators are to be commended and I think this little advertising battle does wonders for rail usage and for raising standards of travel across the board.

SS4

Established Member
I think London Midland's advertising is a little bit questionable in saying 'three per hour' when cleverly not mentioning that it's only two per hour on the way back. LM offer fantastic fares though, if you are prepared to sit on a 350 with your knees up your nose for fifty five million years.

In this case "Fifty five million years" is actually [on average] ~2h20m a whole 15-20 minutes longer than Chiltern - flagship services excluded.

JoeH

In this case "Fifty five million years" is actually [on average] ~2h20m a whole 15-20 minutes longer than Chiltern - flagship services excluded.

Chiltern's hourly fast trains take a little over 1h30m through the whole day, so it's not really just one daily flagship service.

TrainBoy98

(Can't find a thread on this...)
Euston LU station is currently full of Chiltern's London - Birmingham advertisments. Made me smile that they've put these here!

wow, went up there sat, its packed full of Chiltern!

Wonder if theyve tried to put adverts IN eachothers stock? :D

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It's not really "clever" advertising - it's just two operators engaging in tit-for-tat campaigns. Virgin offered Chiltern customers free taxis to New St a year or two ago when their line was closed. Chiltern have put adverts up at Proof House Jn and at Euston - it's all part of a back-and-forward game.

The good news is that ultimately, the customer will win.

Geezertronic

Established Member
There are usually Chiltern adverts at Birmingham International and the NEC too

People tend to concentrate on the Birmingham (City Centre) to London aspect of the comparison, to be honest living by the airport it would not be applicable for me to take anything other than VT into London. Probably the same for people coming from Wolverhampton.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Depends on where you mean when you say "by the airport" because if you live south of the A45 then you are as close to Solihull station as you are to Birmingham International. Even areas like Sheldon and Yardley are only about five minutes further away and Solihull probably has better bus links.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Given the morning traffic, my route to Solihull would take me past BHI anyway (when I worked in Solihull I used to go via Catherine De Barnes). I am coming from near Marston Green

I might have to try a trip from Solihull one work day...

RPM

Established Member
The shareholders of the TOC that 'wins', yes.

Obviously the TOC that loses out will have shareholders which also lose out as a result.

Not necessarily. I suspect there is a certain amount of supressed demand for rail travel that will rise up to fill the gaps caused by the inter-TOC poaching. There is no reason why both TOCs shoudn't be profitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.