• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chingford / Enfield Town before electric services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
The "Jazz" term was not lost in the interim - the very basic and orange plasticked buffet at Liverpool St was named so , as well as "The East End Bar" and a much more upmarket and excellent Bistro. The station was a miserable and dark place in those days and the tube access was pretty poor.
Which was the one up at high level, accessed from the upper walkway, that looked out across the platforms? I was working in an office near Liverpool Street at the time and had bought John Betjeman's book about London termini (still one of the best accounts of same). In that he eulogises about sitting up in that buffet looking out across the station. So I went as well. It had lost much of its charm by the mid-1980s, but some, along with the view, was still there. It used to keep rather limited hours, it was closed all weekend.

The 305s used to sit in platforms 1-4 alongside one another, all with their Jazz decals showing to the gateline. I wonder how many knew the origin, or even noticed them.

I wouldn't agree about the Tube access - coming in from the Bishopsgate side by platform 18, there was an entrance down further steps directly into an underground passageway which ran underneath the gatelines, straight to the Central Line. Lost in the rebuilding. It had a distinct hump at one point, which I worked out was it going over the Post Office mail railway. Yes, I remember the Central signalbox door always being open as well. I always looked in to look at the diagram lights. Must have been a bit of a stygian gloom working in there. The operator was also in charge of signalling in from the reversing sidings and presumably maintaining the intervals westwards, so a bit more of interest than a wayside box.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
... I wouldn't agree about the Tube access - coming in from the Bishopsgate side by platform 18, there was an entrance down further steps directly into an underground passageway which ran underneath the gatelines, straight to the Central Line. ...
It was the one where the East and West side joined, - something like platforms 10/11.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Were the 127's ever used on the Chingford services, never seen any pictures so makes wonder. Have seen pictures of them on the Southbury loop.

I think you mean Cl125. The Cl127s were the BedPan units which were 4 cars rather than 3 and had a different multiple working system.

I would be surprised if one had worked to Chingford given that it was wired throughout. These DMUs were intended for use on the then non-electrified Lea Valley route as well as other non-electrified routes, such as the Buntingford branch. That one has been photographed on the Southbury loop is not hugely surprising as it could easily have been on a diversion away from the Lea Valley due to engineering work. Plus, if it was north of Bury Street Jn (by which I mean onto the Southbury line proper), it couldn't have been working an Enfield Town service.

R Martin

I worked at LV during the late 60's and never heard the Chingford and other services referred to as "Jazz". Incidentally there was an old chap in our office who remembered the service and who's claim to fame was that he was originally employed by the Great eastern railway

Status
Not open for further replies.