• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chinley-New Mills: Is it valid via Stockport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddiesjack

As I have to break my Chinley-Manchester daily commute tomorrow at New Mills, and onward travel from New Mills will be after 0930, I was checking fares on the National Rail website.

What surprised me was that it offers me a CLY-NMC CDR ticket at £2.50 using the 08:33 TPE to Stockport, then back to New Mills Newtown and a walk to Central on my outbound trip.

The restrictions on this say Break of Journey is allowed in either direction, so what stops me from using this as a cheap Chinley- Stockport return? (as long as I am prepared to walk from Newtown to Central on my way back)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Oh is this train not going to New Mills then? Worth a try maybe?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The restrictions on this say Break of Journey is allowed in either direction, so what stops me from using this as a cheap Chinley- Stockport return? (as long as I am prepared to walk from Newtown to Central on my way back)
The fact that Northern et al will very shortly be removing its validity via Stockport in the journey planners now you've brought this anomaly into the public eye.
If you have an itinerary, then yes your journey is valid, but don't be surprised if this is fixed soon.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It may be £2.50 for a CDR from Chinley to New Mills Central... but have you looked at the fare for a CDR from Chinley to New Mills Newtown? Ah, yes, a reassuring £20.70 o.O

There's also a 'VIA STOCKPORT' fare... a BARGAIN at £17.20..... what insanity!

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It may be £2.50 for a CDR from Chinley to New Mills Central... but have you looked at the fare for a CDR from Chinley to New Mills Newtown? Ah, yes, a reassuring £20.70 o.O

There's also a 'VIA STOCKPORT' fare... a BARGAIN at £17.20..... what insanity!
It's ridiculous! The 7DS at £88 is an absolute bargain. The 7DS to New Mills Central on the other hand is £12.

CLY - NMN appears to have been priced as if the Chinley - Hazel Grove stretch of track did not exist, and with the VIA STOCKPORT being cheaper than ANY PERMITTED, and the ANY PERMITTED not offering any further validity whatsoever, someone in the pricing department obviously had a bad day.

Possibly something to do with there only being 1/2 direct services a day between the two stations, but still a ridiculous price.

Starmill

Veteran Member
ɪ agree. Both Any Permitted and Via Stockport fares to ɴewtown are valid via ɢuide Bridge or ʀeddish and Manchester Pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.