• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chinley - Wakefield : valid via Doncaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddiesjack

While planning a trip on West Coast Railway's "Scarborough Spa Express", I was looking at the best way to get from Chinley to the various boarding points.

It makes sense to go Chinley-Sheffield-Westgate, and there is a suitably timed outward trip; and IF the SSE is on time on the return, I can come back the same way, but its quite a tight connection.

The more likely journey home, suggested by the National Rail booking engine is via Doncaster and Sheffield, but would my anytime return be valid on this route?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Unfortunately not. But see at the bottom of this message.

The map combination is SH+WK. This doesn't allow a direct connection between Sheffield and Doncaster. (yes, I know there is a theoretical permitted route via Barnetby, but it's not useful in this case).

Here are the details from TrainsCanBeCheaper.info:

TrainsCanBeCheaper.info said:
Permitted routes from CHINLEY to WAKEFIELD WESTGT route ANY PERMITTED
  • CHINLEY is a routeing point.
  • WAKEFIELD WESTGT is part of the Wakefield Group.
The following are ALWAYS Permitted routes:

• Any direct trains advertised from CHINLEY to WAKEFIELD WESTGT in the current timetable
  • The shortest route with a regular train service, not including walks and transfers (48.69 miles): Show route in detail
    • CHINLEY
    • GUIDE BRIDGE
    • STALYBRIDGE
    • Huddersfield Group
    • Wakefield Group
The following are Permitted unless there is an easement preventing them:

edit: HOWEVER map WK has changed recently in the electronic version of the routeing guide (but not in the public version), and now includes a suitable link via Doncaster. This means that you will be able to get reservations this way. If you have reservations and an intinerary, you should be fine going this way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.