• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chinnor & Princes Risborough - Platform 4 at Princes Risborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

oversteer

Saw that the C&PRR plan to start passenger services to the newly reinstated Platform 4 at Princes Risborough station from the 15th August, advance tickets available from 1st July.

Great news and many congratulations to all those who’ve worked so hard on this, it will be fantastic to step off a Chiltern service and straight onto a steam train to Chinnor!

What a good few years it’s been for them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E759

Saw that the C&PRR plan to start passenger services to the newly reinstated Platform 4 at Princes Risborough station from the 15th August, advance tickets available from 1st July.

Great news and many congratulations to all those who’ve worked so hard on this, it will be fantastic to step off a Chiltern service and straight onto a steam train to Chinnor!

C&PRR enter the Premier League of National Rail connected! That is good news. I’ve watched the platform being built so am now duty bound to visit. Great news.

168lover

Thank you very much guys. Been a hard two years of work but the goal is very much in sight. I myself should be guarding our trains into Platform 4 at Princes Risborough very shortly.

gazthomas

Established Member
I used the temporary platform a couple of years back and I'm pleased to see the work to make this permanent is now complete. I think the plan is to restore the impressive signal box too?

Although a short line I think it would benefit from a passing loop. I don't know if there are any plans to do this yet but there is certainly farm land that could accommodate it. I don't think the line has one originally?

nat67

Established Member

"it will be fantastic to step off a Chiltern service and straight onto a steam train to Chinnor!" It would be fantastic to step of a Chiltern service on to 47771 would be nice!

John Webb

Established Member
The signal box at Princes Risborough is open for visits on July 7th:
"We are opening the signal box again as part of the annual Risborough Festival.
This year it will be on Saturday 7th July from 10:00 to 16:00.

Entrance to the box will be from Platform 3 of Princes Risborough station (go in the main entrance and over the bridge) and via our newly rebuilt Platform 4. The path to the signal box is rough stone. The external staircase is the only access. Any visitors with limited mobility please take note and be aware that at present there is no access for wheelchair users to the inside of the box."

See http://www.risboroughbox.org.uk/ for information.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
That is good news ... I've been thinking of visiting recently, and a major problem was the comparative difficulty in getting to Chinnor by public transport at the weekend. Now, the access looks like it will be much easier, so I'll be able to visit at some time in the near(ish) future!

Well done to all concerned!

gingerheid

Established Member
Wonderful!

Will they be tempted to run commuter services to connect with peak time trains? (I'm slightly more joking than I am serious.)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I appreciate that this is very early to ask this question, but when will the post opening timetable be available, please?

Thanks.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
That is very good news, as others have said, it will make getting to the steam railway so much easier. Maybe I can try it later this year?

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Will there be a connection to the mainline ? (And a possible Sunday morning through service from Marylebone)?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I sent them an e-mail and asked about their new timetable, and they've (very quickly) sent me a copy.

I can't add it here at the moment, but I'll try to do this as soon as I can. It looks as if there will be a connection to the mainline, but no mention of a Sunday morning through service from Marylebone - although that might be too much to ask for at the moment!

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
. It looks as if there will be a connection to the mainline, but no mention of a Sunday morning through service from Marylebone - although that might be too much to ask for at the moment!

yes it's just a thought for the future - Would be an interesting trip (suggesting Sunday to avoid clogging up the Chiltern main too much)

aylesbury

The lads have done a fantastic job they are already considering extending the other way to Aston Rowant so if anyone wants to give hand join up please. Used to be a member of the Tuesday gang but health problems mean I cant do it anymore but enjoyed the work and the company.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kettledrum

What happened about the eviction notice that the railway was served by the cement company. I read at the time that the notice might put at risk the extension?

CarltonA

Kettledrum

It was the developer Taylor-Wimpey that had a dispute with the railway, the cement company and works are long gone. There is only an Edwardian kiln and the quarries left now. Interestingly, some tunnel boring kit for the channel tunnel was trialled at the quarry site.

https://www.chinnorrailway.co.uk/product.php/156/beehive-lime-kiln-old-kiln-lakes

Thanks for the link - very interesting - I was remembering something from November 2016 which has probably been resolved long ago, and may be the journalist getting a bit muddled:

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/14880794.Popular_heritage_railway_served_eviction_notice/

KingDaveRa

If it's the Bucks Free, then yes, the journalist was getting muddled. It's a small victory they even got the right town and railway.

I'm really looking forward to hopping on a train from Aylesbury to Risboro, then changing onto CPRR. I'm interested to see how their timetable will work up in future.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Have they got a run round loop at Princes Risborough.?
Will there be a connection to the mainline ? (And a possible Sunday morning through service from Marylebone)?

I remember a few years ago there was a through special steam train that ran, I think from the Midlands onto the branch, it was a celebration of something, but can not remember what..

A Sunday through special steam service from Marylebone, now that would be good.:D

mr_jrt

Established Member
PR previously had 4 through lines on the mainline - if a later decision is made to restore the down through road (though, strictly speaking it would be the down platform loop as the current platform line is the through road, I guess), has the new/restored Chinnor platform been built in such a way that it won't have to be rebuilt further west?

RPM

Established Member
PR previously had 4 through lines on the mainline - if a later decision is made to restore the down through road (though, strictly speaking it would be the down platform loop as the current platform line is the through road, I guess), has the new/restored Chinnor platform been built in such a way that it won't have to be rebuilt further west?

There should be enough room. The current down platform (3) was built on the site of the former platform loop. You'd have to ditch the dividing fence between platforms 3 and 4 as it would be narrower, but I'd say it is perfectly feasible. I don't see it happening any time soon though.

steevp

I remember a few years ago there was a through special steam train that ran, I think from the Midlands onto the branch, it was a celebration of something, but can not remember what..

I was on it from Banbury - but sorry I can't remember what it was in aid of (great trip though and wonderful to arrive at Chinnor from somewhere else)

aylesbury

The special came from Tysley and used the down line from Banbury to Risboro as the line was closed for the day.A great deal of work was carried out at Chinnor for the trip I repainted every sign and door ,plus all fences were painted as well.We had a fantastic turnout but our work gang met at Bledlow cricket club and watched lineside there ,the beer was good as well.Services start soon and will be worth riding on,with regard to the running line into Risboro adjacent to the NR line covered in trees etc is the old branch line that eventually be used so as no NR lines will be used.When working at Thame junction some times a dmu would creep up to the nr limit and give us a blast on the horn! A group is being formed to look at the extension towards Aston Rowant but that will be well in the future and a many more young helpers I hope.

oversteer

Official opening today! 165035 from Marylebone heading down to Chinnor and back up into platform 4, I assume. Well done all!

Status
Not open for further replies.