• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Choose between MTR crossrail or Lorol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peps123

Got an email today asking to choose which TOC to continue with, I sat stage one with lorol in December and now have stage one with MTR coming up and received the following in an email,

I am writing in relation to your application with MTR Crossrail* and the assessment you are due to attend on the 12th of January. Due to you attending a driver assessment for LOROL on the 23rd December this means that you are required to choose which Train Operating Company you wish to work for ie if you want to work for MTR Crossrail you will be required to cancel your applications with other companies. If you were unsuccessful for LOROL then you will not be able to attend the assessment date with MTR Crossrail, however if you are successful and still wish to be considered for MTR Crossrail then as stated you will need to terminate your application with LOROL and only then will you be able to attend the assessment date on the 12th of January.

I would like your opinions on what you would do in this situation. Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
I would work for Crossrail. Any reason I provide will be specific to me and me alone.

I would suggest that you sit down and decide where you want to spend your career, how much remuneration you wish, location and commute to work, hours per week and conditions as well as traction and more role specific choices.

I'm not sure what you will get out of posting on a forum as this really is a decision that is very personal to you.

Apples&Pears

If u sat on 23rd December with LOROL as I did, then we should get the stage 1 result this week (unless you have already got it?)

I dipped the MTR stage 2 SJT so easy decision for me as I'm already out of the game with them!

455driver

Veteran Member
Sit down with a sheet of paper, a pint* and some decent music and write down the things that are important to you in a job (you are there for the long term so want to get it right), then do some research into each TOC and see which one ticks the lost important ones.

If one is a short drive and the other a big commute then the nearer one would get a big tick (believe me a long commute makes for a bloody long day), and so on down the list.

* other beverages are available.

Good luck with your decision!

Minilad

Established Member
I've heard LOOROLL are quite good.
I've heard Crossrail are quite good
There's only one way to decide
FIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

greatkingrat

Established Member
I'm guessing this is for Willesden and Old Oak in which case the locations are virtually next door to each other.

Staying with LOROL is likely to be the quicker process as they have courses starting in the next few months, while Crossrail aren't starting courses at the west end until end of 2016/early 2017.

100andthirty

Crossrail is MTR for the nexf "good few" years. LOROL might change onto another operator when TfL decide who will receive the next concession.

Apples&Pears

Crossrail is MTR for the nexf "good few" years. LOROL might change onto another operator when TfL decide who will receive the next concession.

A good point. Though LOROL is partly run by MTR anyway and given how successful they've been - it would need to be a very good plan to take it over

donpoku

No one can make this decision for you. And in a way I kinda sense you already know which one you going for. Remember use logic and feeling and you won't go wrong.

red2005

The worst thing you could probably do is make a decision like this based on opinions on a forum.

As people have said above It's a very personal thing and you should make the decision based on what you want out of the job, If you just want to drive trains i suppose it really doesn't matter where you go.

But if there are other reasons such as salary,commuting distance to work,ambition for promotion etc most companies are different so you will probably need to make the decision yourself based on what you want and how quickly you want it.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.