• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ChrisC's Rover and Ranger Holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisC

Established Member
I've been reading interesting reports in this forum for years of other people’s trips. Over this time I have read dozens of fascinating reports from people doing All Line Rover trips and always thought that was something that I must do one day. Now that I have retired, and have the time, I've thought about it, but have come to the conclusion that 7or 8 day Regional Rovers plus occasional Day Rangers and bus tickets are more for me. I've always enjoyed travelling by train, but prefer a series of shorter journeys with time in between to explore interesting locations rather than speeding from one end of the country to the other on fast longer journeys. I know that you don't necessarily have to do that but if I had an ALR I think I would end up doing that to try to get my moneys worth!

Therefore during the past 4 years, since I was fortunate enough to be able to retire a few years early, I have taken a number of week long breaks in various parts of the UK each year. I usually find myself a reasonable hotel, within easy walking distance of a railway station, and explore a an area of the country slowly at my leisure. My stays usually being 6 or 7 nights, I try to find a comfortable hotel at as reasonable price as possible, rather than a cheap hostel or B&B which I agree are great for one night stays. Premier Inn is probably my minimum standard for this length of trip although I have found upgrading to a Super room in some of the newer Travelodges reasonably acceptable

Below is a report from my latest trip a few weeks ago based in Plymouth. I am able to comment upon where I travelled and the type of train but I'm afraid I don't collect numbers or types of buses!

Devon and Cornwall

For this trip I booked a room for 8 nights at the Copthorne Hotel just 5 minutes walk from Plymouth Station. I paid a little more than usual for the location close to the station. It was a nice hotel with friendly staff and excellent breakfast. Room was very comfortable but a bit dated.

For tickets I was originally intending getting an Off Peak Return from Nottingham to Cheltenham and then an 8 Days in 15 South West Rover, to cover the rest of my journey and allow 6 days travel whilst there. The other alternative was Off Peak Return travel to Tiverton Parkway (splitting at Cheltenham Spa) and then an 8 Days in 15 Devon and Cornwall Rover. There was very little difference in the price between the two options.

Although I have now reached 60 and have a Senior Railcard, I will not get my bus pass for another 6 years and as I wanted to travel to areas not served by train it would cost me an additional £60+ for bus tickets. First Kernow Weekly @£26 and Plymouth City Bus Weekly @£30 and any additional fares if I wanted to travel by bus in Devon (Devon Day @ £9.20).

It soon became clear that a far cheaper option was to travel from Nottingham to Plymouth with Off Peak Returns (splitting at Cheltenham). I know I could have saved a small amount extra by also splitting at Bristol and Tiverton Parkway.

For my days out in Cornwall I used a Ride Cornwall Ticket @ only £10.75 with my railcard and covered all First Kernow and Plymouth City Buses in Cornwall in addition to all rail travel in Cornwall. A First Kernow bus day ticket alone would have cost me £13!

DAY 1
I travelled down from Nottingham to Plymouth changing at Derby and Tiverton Parkway.
It was during the Bristol Parkway blockade and so XC were diverted via Newport and the HST's were only running as far as Exeter St. David's. I travelled down on the 11.29 HST from Derby intending to change at Exeter for a local GWR service to Plymouth. By Taunton the train was running approx. 5 minutes late and I knew that I had quite a tight connection at Exeter. Looking at the National Rail App to check platform numbers at Exeter I discovered that my connection had been cancelled. I quickly decided to get off at Tiverton Parkway for a 40 minute refreshment break, and then caught a GWR HST from there to Plymouth only arriving about 25 minutes later than planned.

DAY 2
The weather forecast was for heavy rain and gale force winds. I had therefore planned a day around some of the Plymouth museums and shops. However, the morning was very overcast and dry and so I decided to be slightly more adventurous and travel a short distance into Cornwall.

I got the 1020 Plymouth City Bus service 72 to Polperro and enjoyed a couple of hours wandering around a place that I hadn't visited for nearly 30 years! It still hadn't started raining when I got the 1355 return service and so I got off at Looe and had another couple of hours wandering around there before getting the next bus back to Plymouth. By then it was beginning to rain in Looe nd the sea was extremely rough. I had travelled on the Liskeard to Looe branch line a couple of years ago, so I was quite happy using the bus which gave me a different view of the bridges over the Tamar at Saltash.

DAY 3
Fantastic weather. Still windy but warm with clear blue skies.
Today I got the 0921 (refurbished 150) train from Plymouth as far as Redruth. From there I quickly exited the station with just 5 minutes to spare to get the First Kernow L1 service to The Lizard. Lovely walk down to the lighthouse and coffee shop followed by a walk along some of the cliff top paths.

Back up the to The Lizard Village a couple of hours later to get the L1 back as far as Helston. Here I had decided to make my way across to Falmouth for my first trip on the Falmouth branch line. I didn't have to wait long for First Kernow U4 to Penryn University Campus. I then quickly walked down the hill to Penryn station to travel down to Falmouth Docks and then straight back up to Truro. There I got a very busy GWR nicely refurbished 158 back to Plymouth.

DAY 4
Absolute washout. Torrential rain and gale force winds all day.
Got soaked just visiting a few shops and going out in the afternoon to get something to eat.
I used my Plymouth City Bus Ticket for a ride out around Plymouth but a waste of time as the rain was so heavy, bus windows misted up and I couldn't see anything of Plymouth Spent most of the day in my comfortable hotel room reading!

DAY 5
Woke up the next morning to still more heavy rain but by morning the sun was shining.
A good day to explore Plymouth visiting the Barbican area and walking along Plymouth Hoe.
Later in the afternoon I took a bus out to Saltash and looked at the bridges from yet another angle. Then took an other bus to visit Plymouth Prince William Yard which was quite interesting.

DAY 6
0921 train to Bodmin Parkway (2x153) today, from where I caught the Plymouth City Bus 11A to Padstow. It is just over 50 years since I last visited Padstow as a small child aged about 8. I remembered travelling down there by train from Nottingham with my parents and grandparents and arriving at Padstow Station on an old DMU from Bodmin Road (now Bodmin Parkway). It was the summer of 1966 because I remember watching England win the World Cup on an old black and white tv whilst staying in a flat overlooking the River Camel Estuary. Padstow was not the quiet, unspoilt fishing village that I remembered from my childhood, but crowded, busy with traffic, very touristy and in my opinion spoilt by all of the buildings belonging to Rick Stein! I did a good long walk to Harbour Cove Beach outside Padstow which was still beautiful and deserted as I had remembered it.

I then moved on from Padstow by First Kernow bus to Newquay. Really enjoyed the bus ride and viewing some of the coast between Padstow and Newquay. Enjoyed a walk along Fistral Beach and around Towan Head but wasn’t impressed with the area of Newquay towards the railway station. With all the tacky shops and drunken people, it reminded me too much of a bad weekend in Blackpool! I then got the train to Par (refurbished 150) and following a 50 minute wait for a connection, HST back to Plymouth.

DAY 7
0921 train again this time to Hayle. This time a rather uncomfortable 150 that had not been refurbished. Hayle was another destination that I hadn’t visited since I was a child, but this time I must have only been about aged 5 and so I couldn’t really remember anything about it. Walked over to the fantastic beach and spend a couple of hours there. No train departures due when I got back to Hayle Station and so got a First Kernow T1 bus to Truro which was a bit of a long uninteresting ride. Visited Truro Cathedral and had a walk around the interesting streets before travelling back to Plymouth by HST.

DAY 8
Decided to explore some of South Devon on my last day in Plymouth. I got the Stagecoach Number 3 bus from Plymouth as far as Kingsbridge. For my ticket I purchased a multi-operator Devon Day Ticket which I thought was quite good value covering all buses in Devon. At Kingsbridge I quickly changed to the Tally Ho bus service to Salcombe. I was really impressed with Salcombe and it was a beautiful sunny morning to walk around n the town and down the side of the estuary to one of the beaches.
It was then back to Kingsbridge by Tally Ho and back onto the Stagecoach number 3 towards Dartmouth. I stopped off for an hour at the lovely Blackpool Sands before continuing on the next bus to Dartmouth. I then got the passenger ferry across to Kingswear to board the Stagecoach number 120 up to Paignton. Then after getting a bite to eat it was back to Plymouth via Totness on the Stagecoach Gold.

DAY 9
Back home to Nottingham from Plymouth with just one change at Derby, although again with the diversion into Wales via Newport. I don’t like to admit this, but I actually enjoyed my journey from Plymouth to Derby on a XC Voyager. I did get a good reserved seat with a good window view and as the 0925 started from Plymouth, I was able to get my case in a good position in full view before the luggage racks got too full and the train too crowded.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterY

Established Member
Sounds like you had a good trip. I love Devon and Cornwall and like you enjoying my Senior Rail Card, my first one and I've used it a lot this year. I joke with my daughter that it's her inheritance I'm spending :D:D:D:D:D

I've done 3 ALR's this year and enjoyed them all but I may only do one next year but like you, go for more regional rovers.
May aim is to cover the whole UK's passenger lines . I've most of South and mid Wales to cover and quite a lot "up north" to do.

Thank you for your report

ChrisC

Established Member
Sounded like a good trip, poor weather excluded

Yes a good trip. After the very mixed weather at the beginning and torrential rain on Day 4, the weather for the last 4 days was fantastic with clear blue skies and very warm for late September.

ChrisC

Established Member
I have kept a record of all my regional rail rover type holidays over the past 4 years. I quite enjoyed writing my last report so I thought that I would write another. It could be interesting reading or even provide ideas for others to do the same.

HEART OF ENGLAND 7 DAY ROVER

At the end of August this year I made use of a 7 Day Heart of England Rover which was very good value at £73.90 with my Senior Railcard. I based myself in Crewe, staying at The Best Western Crewe Arms Hotel for 6 nights. I couldn't have been closer to Crewe Station but was pleased that they found me a nice quiet room on the other side of the hotel from the railway so that I did get some sleep. Even on the other side of the hotel I could still just hear and feel the rumble of the trains during the night. Despite mixed reviews, I found it a very comfortable hotel to stay in, old fashioned with lots of character, the staff were extremely friendly and the breakfast was excellent. The whole purpose of this holiday was to explore some of the more rural areas of West Midlands but the ticket did also provide my travel out and back from Nottingham to Crewe avoiding the Derby Blockade

DAY 1
I travelled out on the Sunday afternoon from Nottingham to Crewe. To avoid the Derby Blockade and replacement buses from Nottingham to Derby and Derby to Uttoxeter I travelled via Birmingham. This gave me an interesting ride via Castle Donnington during the diversions to avoid Derby, a line that I hadn't travelled over for over 20 years. After settling into my hotel room, I then made use of my rail rover and the still relatively light nights to enjoy a quick trip out to Chester and back, with a walk around parts of the city walls.

DAY 2
Quite a bit of travelling on Monday morning which was August Bank Holiday Monday. After a good cooked breakfast I travelled down from Crewe to Wolverhampton on a very lightly loaded Virgin Pendolino. There I changed to an extremely overcrowded XC Voyager down to Oxford. A quick run over the bridge at Oxford to board a GWR HST up the Cotswold line to Evesham. I then enjoyed a good couple of hours in Evesham exploring the town and riverside. I then moved on to Worcester Shrub Hill with my first ride on one of the new IEP Class 800 trains. It all seemed very modern and ok for a short journey but I wasn’t on it long enough to get the feel of how it would be for a long journey. At Shrub Hill I made a quick change of train to Foregate Street. I then enjoyed a couple of hours looking around Worcester Cathedral and a walk by the River Severn before heading back to Foregate Street Station. I then got back to Crewe with one change of train at Smethwick Galton Bridge. Travelling on a West Midlands 172 followed by a 350 reminded me, in comparison, of what a poor deal we have in the East Midlands with no new stock for local services since the break up of Central Trains. There doesn’t seem to be much prospect of any new stock with the coming renewal of franchise apart from perhaps yet more old stock cascaded from other areas.

DAY 3
This day began with another ride on a West Midlands Class 350 with a trip down to Birmingham New Street before changing to an older Class 150 for a journey out to Great Malvern. It was quite an uphill climb from the station up to the town, but worth it for a visit to the Priory and the nearby park with its numerous colourful flower beds. Back down to the station for a ride to Hereford on a GWR HST. This was the first time that I had travelled over the line from Great Malvern to Hereford. I enjoyed a very good lunch inside All Saints Church in Hereford before a visit to the lovely Cathedral.
It was then back to Crewe from Hereford up the Marches Line on a comfortable Class 175.

DAY 4
A long journey this morning from Crewe on an Arriva Trains Wales single carriage 153, for a 4 hour journey, all the way to Llandeilo on the Central Wales Line. I was able to use my Heart of England Rail Rover as far as Craven Arms plus a very good value Day Return from there to Llandeilo at only £8.80 with my Senior Railcard. I enjoyed the scenery of my leisurely journey over a large part of the Central Wales Line. The last time I travelled the route was almost 40 years ago on an old DMU! Llandeilo was far enough and an interesting place to visit for just over 2 hours with plenty of places to get a meal. On the return journey after another 3 hours on a Class 153 I got off at Church Stretton for a quick hour walking around this interesting town at the foot of the Long Mynd Hills, before boarding a Class 175 for the hour long journey back to Crewe.

DAY 5
An interesting day visiting some of the lovely historic old towns along the Marches Line, but a day hindered a little by lots of late running trains and trains skipping stations. The 0908 departure from Crewe to Milford Haven was delayed in Crewe for over 30 minutes due to waiting for the driver to arrive off a delayed service. The train was then delayed further between Crewe and Shrewsbury and then it was announced that it would be running fast to Hereford not stopping at Ludlow or Leominster. I was heading for Leominster and so had to change trains at Shrewsbury to wait for a flowing Holyhead to Cardiff train which was to make additional stops. As my arrival in Leominster was now about 50 minutes late, I only had time for a very quick visit to this very interesting old town before heading back to the station for a train one stop back up the line to Ludlow. I had allowed a good 3 hours to explore Ludlow, a town that I had not visited for nearly 40 years. It was just as lovely as I remembered it with all the historic black and white timbered buildings and a long walk by the river. I got back to the station to find yet more delays and the train that I had intended catching to Craven Arms skipping stops between Hereford and Shrewsbury and so I had about 45 minutes to wait for the next, also delayed train to Craven Arms. This turned out to be an advantage as I was able to sample the beers at The Ludlow Brewing Company adjacent to Ludlow Station!
A short ride one stop up to Craven Arms and then a walk by the river down to the Stokesay Castle. A wonderful historic fortified manor house, complete with moat, maintained by English Heritage. After walking back to the station, it was then direct back to Crewe. On a train that was actually on time! I enjoyed my day exploring the Marches Line and the Heart of England Rover was very useful on a line that seems to have very high fares.

DAY 6
A different direction today. After a few very tiring days, a later start following breakfast, not leaving the hotel until just before 10 am. It was a ride through Stoke on Trent on a Class 350 as far as Stone. A town not as beautiful as Leominster and Ludlow, the day before, but nevertheless a pleasant enough place with some old buildings and a busy market. Back to the station an hour later for another ride on a 350 as far as Rugely Trent Valley and a very short wait for the train via Hednesford and Walsall to Birmingham New Street. Another new line for me. I then had an afternoon looking around the shops in Birmingham before returning direct to Crewe on a very busy 350 full of commuters.

DAY 7
Back home to Nottingham on a Class 350 to Tamworth and a change to a very quiet, for a Saturday morning, Cross Country Class 170 to Nottingham. It was interesting again travelling via castle Donnington due to the Derby Blockade and I was actually quite surprised how quick the journey was from Burton On Trent to Nottingham by this route.

Status
Not open for further replies.