• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christchurch to London split at Clapham with Oyster

Status
Not open for further replies.

stu

Dear all.

In a couple of weeks my girlfriend needs to get to London Waterloo in the peak from Christchurch. She holds a Z1-2 Oyster weekly paid travelcard so I was thinking about getting her a Christchurch - Brighton (via Not London) single, which she could use as far as Clapham Junction then use her Oyster travelcard.

Anyway, the train in question she needs in the peak doesn't stop at Clapham so would this combo be valid? I've read about trains not needing to stop when combining a normal ticket and a season, so wondered if this is one of those situations.

If not, is there another way to do it?

With thanks.

Stu

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Dear all.

In a couple of weeks my girlfriend needs to get to London Waterloo in the peak from Christchurch. She holds a Z1-2 Oyster weekly paid travelcard so I was thinking about getting her a Christchurch - Brighton (via Not London) single, which she could use as far as Clapham Junction then use her Oyster travelcard.

Anyway, the train in question she needs in the peak doesn't stop at Clapham so would this combo be valid? I've read about trains not needing to stop when combining a normal ticket and a season, so wondered if this is one of those situations.

If not, is there another way to do it?

With thanks.

Stu

Yes, that's perfectly valid. You may use more than one ticket to make a journey, and if one is a season and the other(s) not then the train doesn't need to call at the "changeover" station.

She may have to explain this to the guard, and why the ticket is valid via CJ.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Perfectly valid, according to NRCoC Condition 19(c), however some guards will take some convincing as the tickets do not appear to join.

Make sure that she brings relevant documentation with her.

wintonian

Established Member
Perfectly valid, according to NRCoC Condition 19(c), however some guards will take some convincing as the tickets do not appear to join.

Make sure that she brings relevant documentation with her.

I agree that the documentation should be brought along, bt as Clapham Junction is a common place for these kind of splits I think it may be unlikely that this would be challenged.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

stu

Ok thanks all.

Now to convince her that it's perfectly legal and that she really can do it.. As she says, how can it be £17 cheaper (or so) than a proper Christchurch to London Terminals ticket!

Cheers

Stu

island

Veteran Member
Just make sure you don't cause any confusion between Clapham Junction, Clapham High St, and Clapham Yorks!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Now to convince her that it's perfectly legal and that she really can do it.. As she says, how can it be £17 cheaper (or so) than a proper Christchurch to London Terminals ticket!
I appreciate this is rhetorical but I would point out that the ticket is not intended to be used for the Christchurch to London market.

There are many occasions where TOCs believe that a particular market for A to C has a high volume of customers, many of whom are willing to pay a premium. That premium does not apply to A to B, or B to C (or A to D which happens to be valid between A & B!) and therefore the fares may be lower as a result.

It's valid but the business passengers who TOCs rely on much of their revenue from, will not be interested (or, in many cases, not be able) in benefiting from the alternative ticket(s) that allow the savings to be made.

A business passenger taking a York-Derby train around 0830 and returning same day is not going to ask for a combination of tickets, "splitting" at Sheffield thus reducing the price to 1/3 of the cost. But someone 'in the know' who would otherwise have waited until after 0900, or simply not travelled, might. The TOCs want the revenue of both customers. The current system is in the interests of the TOCs and also regular, leisure travellers who are "in the know", while businesses will tolerate the ludicrously expensive (in my view - not theirs!) fares.

Status
Not open for further replies.