• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas & Boxing Day Bus Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooo

I was wondering what areas of the UK will have bus services on Boxing Day or even Christmas day this year?

Here in Bristol Cityfox are running a Christmas and Boxing Day service on one route and First normally run a limited service on selected routes on Boxing Day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mlambeuk

Transdev york is running a York to Leeds service on Boxing day, Don't know if First York are running a few services on their Park and ride (they have done on boxing day the last couple of years.

ooo

Transdev york is running a York to Leeds service on Boxing day, Don't know if First York are running a few services on their Park and ride (they have done on boxing day the last couple of years.
Is this at a reduced frequency?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Morebus (GSC) are running every 30 mins on Xmas Day from Poole to Bournemouth then either hourly to Hospital or Christchurch. Boxing Day services on various routes in Poole and Bournemouth incl to Salisbury and Swanage.

It's too early for many firms (or they've not shared it) but both Oxford firms will have Xmas Day workings.

In the south of England, services on Boxing Day and NY Day are now quite common unlike the North which is still patchy e.g. GoNE run a fair few Boxing Day but Arriva NE run nothing traditionally

ashworth

Established Member
There are so many bus routes these days outside major urban areas which do not have a Sunday service with hardly any rural buses on Sundays away from major routes running between large towns. Consequently if a bus company announces it is going to run a Sunday Service on Boxing Day that doesn't mean just a redupced service but no service for many routes. This has now been the case for many years on all Bank Holiday Mondays. Last year was particularly bad when Christmas Day and New Years Day fell on a Saturday as we had no buses on the Sat, Sun or Monday over both holiday weekends.

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member
Merseytravel area.

Special limited services normally free, operate 12pm-5pm mainly serving the hospitals on Christmas Day. Boxing Day & New Years Day it's mostly Sunday service [with some services that operate on Sundays not operating] but with reduced frequencies, between 10am-6 & 8pm .

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Transdev are running buses between Leeds and York (as mentioned above) every 30 minutes on Boxing Day.

They're also running the 36 Harrogate-Leeds and 1C Harrogate-Knaresborough-Carmires both every 30 minutes.

And 760 Keighley-Leeds, 662 Shuttle Keighley-Bradford every 30 minutes and local Keighley routes K3, K7, K9 and shortened 66 Dalesway as far as Airedale Hospital all running hourly.

Mainline M2 runs Padiham to Colne and Witch Way X43 Burnley to Manchester both every 30 minutes.

The 1 Blackburn to Darwn is every 30 minutes and redexpress is every hour Blackburn to Manchester.

Still waiting for confirmation that KBMT will be running their usual 3 Keighley area routes on Christmas Day.

SCH117X

Established Member
Transdev are also running the 36 through to Ripon on a hourly basis

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I can not speak for Stagecoach but I presume they will follow EYMS's lead and run a Sunday service on Boxing Day for Hull

pitdiver

Where I live in Bedfordshire I believe that there are NO buses on Christmas Day, Boxing Day. or Bank Holiday Tuesday. There is also an early finish on Christmas Eve.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
The rest of West Yorkshire will run to the special annual Boxing Day timetable of selected routes running every 30 minutes between 9am and 6pm along with Rodger Batley running his Boxing Day freebie, the H11, with permission of Stotts (who supply him with a vehicle).

Meanwhile in South Yorkshire only Sheffield gets buses and trams running to a special boxing day timetable (as per West Yorks) but from 8am until around 6.30pm. Barnsley, Doncaster and Rotherham get nowt at all on Boxing Day, not even Robin Hood.

Up in North Yorkshire, specifically York - they'll have the selected Park and Ride routes running between 9am and 6pm along with the 843. Eleswhere I'm not sure.

Out of Yorkshire and into Lincolnshire, I do recall one year where Stagecoach provided a limited service around Grimsby and Cleethorpes serving both the towns and the local hospital. No idea if they'll be doing that again.

Lincoln itself I don't recall them having anything on Boxing Day.

Hophead

Established Member
Southern Vectis are once again operating a limited service on 25th, with the regular Sunday service on Boxing Day

Last edited:

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Grimsby had a Boxing Day service each year but not last, but I'm wondering if it was down to the bank holidays after?
Anyway it was hourly on 3/4, 5 (via Willows), 8 & 9? (I think the 10 route didn't run as planned due to bridgeworks?)

ag51ruk

Trent Barton have a Sunday service on all but a couple of routes on Boxing Day, but nothing this year on New Year's Day (they have run some NYD buses for the last few years, although fewer than on Boxing Day).

Arriva in Derby have a modified Sunday service (in previous years this has meant services finishing when the shops close at about 18.00

Last edited:

AndyW33

Wellglade subsidiary Kinchbus will not be operating on Christmas Day but routes 2 (Loughborough-Leicester), 9 (Loughborough-Nottingham), 12 (Loughborough Town Service), Skylink (Derby-East Midlands Airport - Loughborough-Leicester), Sprint (Loughborough Station-Town Centre-University) will run to Sunday times on Boxing Day, with the normally 24 hour Skylink starting around 6am.

buses7675

On Merseyside, Merseytravel are providing funding for services, I believe a similar level to last year but timetables aren't yet published.

Liverpool services at least are to be operated for them by Stagecoach Merseyside Gillmoss depot.

ChathillMan

Stone the crows. ARRIVA North East are running Northumberland trunk routes on Boxing Day

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Boothby97

Established Member
Grimsby had a Boxing Day service each year but not last, but I'm wondering if it was down to the bank holidays after?
Anyway it was hourly on 3/4, 5 (via Willows), 8 & 9? (I think the 10 route didn't run as planned due to bridgeworks?)

The Boxing Day services were introduced in 2012 (prior to that there were no services), and also ran in 2013 and 2014. Last year we did not receive Boxing Day services.

2012 & 2013 - It was an hourly daytime service on routes 9A (Waltham-Grimsby-Cleethorpes-North Sea Lane which then extended unlike the normal route down to New Waltham), 13 & 14 (Cleethorpes-Grimsby-Bradley) and 45 (Cleethorpes-Grimsby-Immingham).
The sample applied in 2014, but with route numbers changed to 10, 3 & 4, and 5 (as per the route renumbering that took place in Grimsby in September 2014).

Thanks, Sam

jkkne

Stone the crows. ARRIVA North East are running Northumberland trunk routes on Boxing Day

Indeed, nothing for County Durham or Teesside as per.

Stagecoach North East and Go North East running fairly comprehensive services on Boxing Day between 9-6 across Tyneside.

GNE will also run a limited service on key routes funded by Newcastle United, after their evening game finishes.

Nothing on Christmas or New Years Day up here but then again very little is open on NYD.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
The rest of West Yorkshire will run to the special annual Boxing Day timetable of selected routes running every 30 minutes between 9am and 6pm along with Rodger Batley running his Boxing Day freebie, the H11, with permission of Stotts (who supply him with a vehicle).

I presume that will run on their O License?

Yes, I noticed that in the newest N&P - do you happen to get it?

Nottingham City Transport are running a daytime 2ph on its core services within the city. Now in its 3rd year, the boxing day services do seem pretty well used.

Statto

Established Member
New Years Eve on Merseyside isn't helped by Liverpool having a 5.30pm kickoff v Man City, going to be a mad dash after the final whistle to the City Centre for last buses/trains which finish 8-9pm.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Jaw hits floor!!!! About time too.

For the record, I'm not much of a traditionalist but it does sadden me that we seem to be obsessed with shopping to the extent that even having Boxing Day off (which was par for the course even 15 years ago) seems too much for every individual and every customer.

However, we are where we are and it was crazy that you had a major city and shopping draw like Newcastle yet some major corridors like Blyth & Cramlington to Newcastle had no service. Impressed that even Morpeth gets a service.

As always, Arriva in Co Durham, North Yorks and Sewerside is a bus free zone!

duncanp

Established Member
More Bus are running a service from Poole to Bournemouth Hospital, Southbourne and Christchurch on Christmas Day.

http://www.buscms.com/morebus/uploa...and_New_Year_timetables_/XmasDay2016_M1M2.pdf

Lothian Buses in Edinburgh usually run a skeleton service on main routes on Christmas Day, but nothing official has been published yet for this year.

In London, a full Sunday service runs on Boxing Day, but nothing on Christmas Day.

Y961 XBU

Merseytravel area.

Special limited services normally free, operate 12pm-5pm mainly serving the hospitals on Christmas Day. Boxing Day & New Years Day it's mostly Sunday service [with some services that operate on Sundays not operating] but with reduced frequencies, between 10am-6 & 8pm .

Why do people see Boxing Day and New Years day services as a Sunday Service when its nothing like it, Frequencys are different, Operating hours are different, choice of Services are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.