• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas Day Bus Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
"going to the sales" is hardly a credible reason to start services running on Boxing day... The sales will still be there on the 27th, and the 28th and so on!! Boxing day is for chilling out, being hungover, relaxing after too much over-indulging ... if some sad act wants to go to the sales at 9am on the 26th.. they can get there using there own transport! If they don't have any... it will hardly kill them to wait until the 27th!

What about the transporting the hundreds of thousands of football fans who take to the road in the lack of a train service?

As rail companies have been privatised, the operators should be looking for opportunities to make more money and require less government support. If trains on Boxing Day have the potential to be packed, then run a service.

It also should be noted that a full timetable was once provided on 24th December. Now most services end around 6 hours early.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoe

Established Member
It also should be noted that a full timetable was once provided on 24th December. Now most services end around 6 hours early.
A few years back on some routes they were ending early also on New Year's Eve although this seems to have stopped now at least in some cases.

Statto

Established Member
The aim is to provide a Christmas Day service to the hospitals. There is a hospital in Southport so the aim of the Southport service is to provide a service from Formby and Crossens to Southport Hospital.

^^^This, the main aim is to provide a service for the Hospitals, what annoys me is Merseyside is one of the few areas that have services on Boxing Day & New Years Day, but the services only run until 6pm on both days with no services in the Evening on those days, & most of the services are commercial as well.

Zoe

Established Member
But its the one day a year people want to get to spend with their families.
That's the usual argument against running a service, so the bus/train drivers can have the day off for that.

Last edited:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I doubt that the staffing issue is a problem for either the operation of bus or rail services. There are plenty of staff who would work on Christmas day if they were given the option to. The problem seems to be more a case of who will pay to operate the services. Commercial operators don't appear to think they are a viable option and very few councils are prepared to subsidise Christmas Day services.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
; 1, why does Southport only get two buses all day when other areas have an hourly ?

It's an improvement on last year as Southport had NO services.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It's odd that about the only place I can think of to have public transport 365 days a year is the Worth Valley (KWVR on Boxing Day/New Year's DAy, Keighley Bus Museum on Christmas Day). Sounds like parts of Liverpool might have too. I find it hard to believe that the only public transport London has is long distance coaches, not even a skeleton service (is this because it would struggle to cope?).

Blindtraveler

Established Member
edinburgh also has some Lothian buses
runs on key routes at Xmas and quite well loaded they were too last year. In addition worst group run a few runs also. Boxingday sees a very good service considering.

It's odd that about the only place I can think of to have public transport 365 days a year is the Worth Valley (KWVR on Boxing Day/New Year's DAy, Keighley Bus Museum on Christmas Day). Sounds like parts of Liverpool might have too. I find it hard to believe that the only public transport London has is long distance coaches, not even a skeleton service (is this because it would struggle to cope?).

I was about to mention the the KBM service that serves the Worth Valley and Airedale Hospital, then the mince pie specials on the KWVR boxing day.

Last year when doing the latter, despite notices available for most of december saying there will be no service on 25th/26th, at Keighley, there were people waiting for trains.

neilmc

The Stagecoach Manchester 43 service to the Airport runs every day including Christmas Day, although the 24 hour operation isn't in place then.

dvboy

Established Member
No Christmas Day buses in the entire Network West Midlands area, from any operator.

Christmas Eve and New Years Eve services usually finish earlier than they would normally. Boxing Day and New Year's Day are usually a reduced service on key routes only (less than a Sunday service). Any additional Bank Holidays (for example this year the 27th December) will probably be a Sunday service.

bicbasher

Established Member
Metrobus Route 10 from Gatwick to Bewbush via Crawley is running a 30 min service until 1250 then every hour until 2350. I assume this is to help Gatwick Airport workers get to work on what is still a fully operational place on Christmas Day?

radamfi

Established Member
Metrobus Route 10 from Gatwick to Bewbush via Crawley is running a 30 min service until 1250 then every hour until 2350. I assume this is to help Gatwick Airport workers get to work on what is still a fully operational place on Christmas Day?

The only break in service is between 2350 on Christmas Day night and 0321 on Boxing Day morning. It even runs every 30 minutes throughout the night from Christmas Eve evening to Christmas Day morning.

Metrobus is also running a Boxing Day service on 100 from Redhill to Gatwick to Maidenbower from early morning to late evening. Other Metrobus routes are running a Boxing Day service during the day. Buses will start at 0400 from Horsham to Gatwick on Boxing Day

Butts

Veteran Member
Never mind Boxing Day, First Bus are actually running services on Christmas Day albeit on a restricted basis between Edinburgh and Linlithgow.

I suppose it is a lot easier to start a few buses up than a Rail Network.

Has anyone else got bus services operating on Christmas Day?

Handy for people without a car, even if you have to get a taxi back.:p

First certainly are "Transforming Travel" in this instance - well done :lol:

anthony263

Established Member
We have not got any bus services operating around my area on christmas day.

I am not sure if there is any journeys on service X4 between Merthyr Tydfiil & Abergavenny on christas day this year as clarkes coaches have gone out of business and used to operate the service on xmas day instead of stagecoach who are the normal operator.

I will ask around when I next get a chance to see if there is a limited service on christmas day.

There is supposed to be some limited services in Cardiff & Newport on boxing & new years day there was also talk of First cymru perhaps operating a special timetable on certain routes around Swansea but I have not heard anything about it.

Bevan Price

Established Member
"going to the sales" is hardly a credible reason to start services running on Boxing day... The sales will still be there on the 27th, and the 28th and so on!! Boxing day is for chilling out, being hungover, relaxing after too much over-indulging ... if some sad act wants to go to the sales at 9am on the 26th.. they can get there using there own transport! If they don't have any... it will hardly kill them to wait until the 27th!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Then they can stay at home :D

Railways exist to provide transport for people who want to travel. If you don't want to work at all times when people might want to travel, I wonder why did you get a job working for a railway company ? How would uou react if, for example, electricity generation workers said they didn't want to work on Christmas / Boxing Days, and you were left with an unlit, unheated house, cold food, no power for your computer / TV etc. ??

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Railways exist to provide transport for people who want to travel. If you don't want to work at all times when people might want to travel, I wonder why did you get a job working for a railway company ? How would uou react if, for example, electricity generation workers said they didn't want to work on Christmas / Boxing Days, and you were left with an unlit, unheated house, cold food, no power for your computer / TV etc. ??

Well, the big difference is that Christmas Day and Boxing are not contractual working days. Which rail staff were well aware of in most cases when they applied.

I am sure that utilities staff are similarly aware of their contracted hours of work when they get taken on.

455driver

Veteran Member
If going shopping on boxing day is so important to you why dont you buy a car/ get a taxi/ walk.

When I signed up Christmas day and Boxing day were not working days and if they want to change my contract then they can pay me for the privilege. FFS we are guaranteed these 2 days off a year and its always the same old bull every year.

IF a train service was run who would pay for it, the TOCs wont take the financial hit and I really cant see the passenger numbers going anywhere near covering the running costs of providing even a skeleton service.

deltic

Established Member
Well, the big difference is that Christmas Day and Boxing are not contractual working days. Which rail staff were well aware of in most cases when they applied.

I am sure that utilities staff are similarly aware of their contracted hours of work when they get taken on.

Sundays are not a contractual day for some TOC drivers which is absurd. However, quite a few train drivers work Christmas and Boxing Day on engineering trains and a huge number of maintenance workers are hard at work - the real unsung heros of the rail industry

There are lots of buses operating in London on Christmas day - they are the sightseeing buses which are packed solid as there is not much else for the thousands of tourists to be seen wandering around the streets looking for something to do.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm sure there are quite a few drivers who will work when they are not obliged to if the money is sufficient! Others won't, of course, no matter how much is offered as an inducement.

Bevan Price

Established Member

So, maybe for all new rail staff, it should become part of their contract that they will be available to work on 100% of the year, no special pay rates for weekends / Bank Holidays. They would still get decent pay & annual leave, but they might not always be able to take leave on Bank Holidays or weekends. O.K. - it would take a few years to build up enough staff levels able to operate a worthwhile service , but I suspect that plenty of people currently unemployed would accept such a working contract.

WatcherZero

Established Member
I have a feeling if a Sunday rail service service was operated on Christmas day you would have more than the average sunday passengers. Many people would prefer to take a train rather than a long drive to visit relatives for the day (bonus, driver can drink). Only need to look to the US where Christmas rail and air services are packed with last minute travel.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There are lots of buses operating in London on Christmas day - they are the sightseeing buses which are packed solid as there is not much else for the thousands of tourists to be seen wandering around the streets looking for something to do.

Nope, they gave up running a couple of years ago.

Smethwickian

Nope, they gave up running a couple of years ago.

Certainly did.

For avoidance of further doubt, this year's comprehensive TfL guide has only the following crumbs of comfort, bus-wise, for the whole of Greater London on December 25:
"The Oxford Tube will operate a special service between Oxford and London Victoria until 1900, calling at Heathrow Airport Central bus station in both directions instead of Hillingdon station;
London General 847 between Heathrow Terminal 5 and Gatwick Airport calling at Heathrow Airport Central bus station only;
National Express Heathrow Hotel Hoppa routes;
Purple Parking Park & Ride between Southall and Heathrow all Terminals will operate;
Tellings Golden Miller Heathrow Direct.
"

Don't know if the aforesaid 847 has one of the most expensive single fares ever within London - £40 according to the company website (http://www.londoncentral.com/bus-services/page_296.html).

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
Oxford Tube website says 'a premium fare of £25 will apply'.

Is that a flat fare, and therefore applies from Heathrow to central London?

Status
Not open for further replies.