• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Christmas Tube strikes 'possible'

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Established Member
Union officials have said a Tube strike at Christmas is possible, as workers are due to be balloted in a jobs row.
About 1,800 RMT (Rail, Maritime and Transport) union members working for Tube maintenance firm Metronet will be asked to strike.

An RMT spokesman said given the time scale of proceedings a walkout at Christmas "could not be ruled out".

Metronet said action was unwarranted and would cause huge disruption in the run-up to Christmas if it went ahead.

Meanwhile, Tube drivers may be asked to take action because the RMT said, if Metronet workers go out, the tracks may not be properly inspected.

Plans 'unacceptable'

Bosses at Metronet were given notice of the ballot on Thursday before it goes ahead in about seven days time.

The RMT blames Metronet, which maintains nine Underground lines, for planning to subcontract work and make "front line" staff redundant.

"We made it clear to Metronet that its plans to subcontract work and further fragment the Tube's infrastructure were unacceptable to us - particularly after the recent brake failures on the Northern Line," said RMT general secretary Bob Crow.

But Metronet said plans to use subcontractor Bombardier to supply and maintain new trains had been known for a long time.

It has announced plans to make up to 285 people redundant but said more than half would be agency staff and the rest would be voluntary redundancies.

The spokesman added: "The RMT have an unflattering record of calling for industrial action in the month of December - on no less than seven occasions since 1996 - and all of which were called off."

The RMT also said London Underground (LU) had failed to persuade them that, should the strike go ahead, full train and track inspections would be maintained.

As a result, 1,500 drivers will be asked to vote for action "short of a strike".

LU has said the dispute is between the RMT and Metronet and said the RMT should wait for the result of the Metronet ballot, before threatening action among Tube drivers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4422978.stm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
Noooo, I really hope this doesnt happen, i'm going to London arouund Christmas, it would be a disaster if the tube wasn't running!

Jordy

OTS

Jordy said:
Noooo, I really hope this doesnt happen, i'm going to London arouund Christmas, it would be a disaster if the tube wasn't running!

Jordy

Obviously you're not from London! :D
There is no need to use the tube unless you are running late, as all stations in zone 1 are within walking distance of any other!!

T

Tom

The Tube will run, the RMT have said they want strikes between Barking and Upminster before, and this was on the day of one of my tubechallenges - needless to say, no discussions were held, but the strike didn't go ahead.

Jordy

Established Member
OTS said:
Obviously you're not from London! :D
There is no need to use the tube unless you are running late, as all stations in zone 1 are within walking distance of any other!!

Yes I understand this, but I don't only want to travel around zone 1, I do plan to go out as zone 6 daily (as this is where the hotel is)

Jordy

T

Tom

Where is the hotel exactly?

Epping?
Amersham?
Heathrow?
Upppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppminster?

Status
Not open for further replies.