• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

**Christmas Upgrades**

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi all,

Please could someone tell me for certain, if some of the major TOCs, like VT/XC/GNER/Hull Trains etc, are going to hold the special Christmas first class upgrade offer this year?

It's normally the same as Weekend First, but valid during the week, during a selected period during Christmas, but with an improved weekday offer, instead of the crap weekend offer.

If so, does anyone know who/what/where/when?

Will there be any additional conditions for passengers with pre-booked AP SC singles?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

I highly doubt it'll be valid for AP singles.

SWT normally offer the weekend first upgrade as well. :)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I highly doubt it'll be valid for AP singles.

SWT normally offer the weekend first upgrade as well. :)

Good :D

Having said that, I was mortified when I went on a Voyager early this year, which started at Preston, as I bought the cheap FC single, but was the only person in the 80% full carriage with a FC ticket- The rest upgraded :x

I don't mind people using weekend first at all, it's just that sometimes the kind of people who do, aren't the kind of people you'd want to meet in the middle of a back alley.

W14Fishbourne

Good :D

Having said that, I was mortified when I went on a Voyager early this year, which started at Preston, as I bought the cheap FC single, but was the only person in the 80% full carriage with a FC ticket- The rest upgraded :x

I don't mind people using weekend first at all, it's just that someties the kind of people who do, aren't the kind of people you'd want to meet in the middle of a back alley.

I think that FGW keep one FC vehicle for genuine First Class passengers.

me123

Established Member
...it's just that sometimes the kind of people who do, aren't the kind of people you'd want to meet in the middle of a back alley.

That's not very nice!

Although I can understand that a lot of those people would want to upgrade for a cheap price. I certainly would.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
That's not very nice!

Although I can understand that a lot of those people would want to upgrade for a cheap price. I certainly would.

:lol: Life's not always nice. Get use to it.

My main problem is the fact that I can't usually get any piece and quiet in FC during weekend first periods.

me123

Established Member
:lol: Life's not always nice. Get use to it.

My main problem is the fact that I can't usually get any piece and quiet in FC during weekend first periods.

I do agree, FC is usually about the quiet I would imagine. On my local trains, it's about the only benefit of FC! (Except those stupid lamps on the 170s).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm sure they were disgusted at the fact you paid far less for your cheapo advance single than they had for their normal price tickets PLUS upgrade!!!;)

devon_metro

Established Member
I'm sure they were disgusted at the fact you paid far less for your cheapo advance single than they had for their normal price tickets PLUS upgrade!!!;)

Exactly.

What are you suggesting, should only the most upmarket people be in First Class? And besides you pay so little for the privalide they should have the same bloody opinion about you :roll:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Exactly.

What are you suggesting, should only the most upmarket people be in First Class? And besides you pay so little for the privalide they should have the same bloody opinion about you :roll:

I don't usually pay a small amount of money for my trains, as I generally just do it on an impulse, and pay the FC premium.

I wouldn't call up to £170 on VWC each way cheap, but the service they provide is very good.

It's a good job I don't pay for the VWC services, as that's usually bussiness.

cliffocco

Hi all,

Please could someone tell me for certain, if some of the major TOCs, like VT/XC/GNER/Hull Trains etc, are going to hold the special Christmas first class upgrade offer this year?

It's normally the same as Weekend First, but valid during the week, during a selected period during Christmas, but with an improved weekday offer, instead of the crap weekend offer.

If so, does anyone know who/what/where/when?

Will there be any additional conditions for passengers with pre-booked AP SC singles?

Thanks

GNER will be but a memory by the time Christmas comes. Instead of a classy dark blue livery with gold lettering, we're going to have trains painted 'like National Express Coaches' (source, RM, January)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
NX East Coast:

Festive First, which gives you the chance to upgrade to First Class at a reduced price, will be available daily on our trains from 22 December until 1 January inclusive. To avoid disappointment, we strongly recommend that you book in advance through Travel Centres or Telesales. You can also upgrade on the train if seats are available.
Festive First will also be available from Scotland on our southbound services on 2 January, but only when booked in advance.

Not sure about Hull Trains though, but I'd expect weekend first to be available throughout Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.