• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Church visible from WCML

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Between Milton Keynes and Blisworth, a church with a spire and flying buttresses is clearly visible on the right hand side as one would be travelling north. Can someone confirm that this is Harrold (Beds) church?
Last Thursday whilst journeying to London we thought at first it must be Olney, but that spire does not have any flying buttresses. Looking at maps today - and photo's of churches - well, it is Sunday afternoon - Harrold seems to be the only possible church.
Clearly visible from the train and does stand out...about 15 miles as the crow flies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
If that is the Church of St Peter in Harrold, it is a Grade I listed building.

Yes, I've been reading its history this afternoon. From my childhood I can recall many of the churches in that area but not Harrold.
Oddly enough, we were in Olney a couple of weeks ago, and I had a picture of the church on my 'phone and although it was in the right direction and has a similar spire, it was the lack of the flying buttresses that ruled it out.

John Webb

Established Member
Is it this church (St James) at Hanslope (click on picture to go to the larger original):
Hanslope Church

© Copyright David Neale and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Only it seems to have flying buttresses to the spire!

Added:
Looking at 1:50,000 OS maps, the contours indicate several ridges reaching up to 100+m height between the railway line and Harrold. But I agree that Harrold church has similar flying buttresses as seen here:
St Peter, Harrold

© Copyright David Kemp and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Is it this church (St James) at Hanslope [
[.

Many thanks for that, I think that it is solved. Hanslope looks more likely, but I have never heard of it. That is a very impressive spire and as the description says 'stands out across the area north of Milton Keynes.' It was a sunny day and the spire seemed to glint in the sunshine, as in the photograph. I did think that Harrold was too far away, but if anything, Hanslope looks too close to the WCML, but of course it was really only a few fleeting glimpses through the vegetation. Incidentally, my friend who was travelling with me thought it was about ten miles distant, (and that confused me) whereas the village website says it is just over a mile from the WCML.
I suppose it begs the question how far one would normally be expected to see to the horizon (I'm sure someone can tell me).

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
it will be Hanslope - the Bedfordshire one must be too far away to see surely.

I agree now...just spoken to my friend who was with me, he can't believe, though, that Hanslope is only a mile from WCML. All about perspective I suppose!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I agree now...just spoken to my friend who was with me, he can't believe, though, that Hanslope is only a mile from WCML. All about perspective I suppose!

but consider that heading south it will be in sight for a considerable time. When first noticeable it will be more than a mile away which may distort views etc.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
but consider that heading south it will be in sight for a considerable time. When first noticeable it will be more than a mile away which may distort views etc.

Yes, you're correct. I'll have to check it out next time I head down that way.

John Webb

Established Member
Having had another look at the contours on a 1:50,000 map, there may be a short glimpse from the right of the train between Blisworth and the start of the Roade cutting. From South of Roade I think the view (from the left of the train) would be almost non-stop - except for a few short cuttings - until Wolverton station.
Blisworth - Hanslope church is about 9.5km (approx. 6ml)
Roade - Hanslope is 6.5km (approx. 4ml)
At it's nearest the church is 1.9km (1.2ml) from the railway line.
Hanslope - Wolverton is 5.5km (3.5ml)

An interesting little problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.