• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Churnet Valley Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was wondering if the plans to extend to Leek, Stoke or Oakmoor/Alton Towers have been totally shelved or if there is still a chance any of these could happen. I thought the Leek plan was a done deal, but I am not so sure now. Also why don't they run as far as Cauldron Lowe now, I think they stop a bit shot of that at Ipstones?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Polarbear

Established Member
I know that the track was lifted beyond Ipstones, which explains the lack of running to Cauldon Lowe. I think the intention was to relay the track eventually, funds permitting.

My understanding was that the extension to Leek was partially dependent on the approval of a housing development in the vicinity, but I seem to recall that planning permission was refused, so the development, and subsequent extension, have not happened.

I don't know about any of the other extensions or proposals. I had been keeping an eye on all this as I used to go out to the Churnet Valley line quite a bit, but the initial plans seem to have either been quietly dropped or shelved.

All of the above is just off the top of my head, so it may or may not be 100% accurate.

Scrotnig

Track between Ipstones and Cauldon Lowe was lifted in order to raise funds.
Track between Froghall and Oakamoor was shamefully lifted for the same reasons.
You will never that track relaid. It is a disgrace frankly.

At a time when many other heritage railways are expanding and growing, the CVR is possibly the only one that is actually contracting and lifting track that's already in situ. You have to wonder what's going on.

bramling

Veteran Member

At a time when many other heritage railways are expanding and growing, the CVR is possibly the only one that is actually contracting and lifting track that's already in situ. You have to wonder what's going on.

I wonder if part of the issue is that they are spreading their resources in three or four different directions when perhaps attention might be better concentrated on putting all resources into one extension?

Stoke to Alton Towers is a potentially big prize, but would require a lot of work to get there. I suspect that anything less is simply offering more of what they already do, which is pleasant and enjoyable but is ultimately just another scenic preserved line.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Wouldn't it require demolishing a housing estate (or two...)??

As far as I'm aware the whole route from Stoke to Leekbrook is still intact, and in fact the track remains in place for the most part although buried under a forest of vegetation with the exception of a relatively recently cleared stretch from I think the former Endon station towards Leekbrook.

theblackwatch

Established Member

I'm sure at the time, it was said that one of the lots of track was lifted so it could be used on the extension to Leek.

Moorland & City Railways website at http://www.mcrailways.co.uk/ is very different to what it was like in 2011 (see https://web.archive.org/web/20111130004040/http://www.mcrailways.co.uk/ ) when it seemed to be full of ambition after being awarded a £1.65 million Grant from the Government’s Regional Growth Fund.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
The track from Ipstones to Cauldon Lowe was lifted and sold (MCR). The track from Froghall to Oakamoor was lifted and sold (CVR) to pay for the track from Leekbrook to Ipstones to remain in situ (MCR) instead of being lifted and sold. The ride up the steep bank is the bit of interest to enthusiasts.

At a similar time the track from Cresswell to Cheadle was lifted and sold (MCR linked).

There were two housing proposals. One by MCR at Leekbrook which was, quite rightly, refused. The second housing proposal (at Barnfields near Leek) was by a company with no identified connection to any rail company but which included passive provision for a station i.e. a bit of land coloured a different colour on the overall site plan as a sweetener to make the proposal seem more acceptable. This second planning application was approved IIRC.

As for Froghall to Alton Towers, the main obstacles are;
a) objections by local residents and users of the existing trackbed walkway,
b) the existence of a sewer under the trackbed,
c) the bridge over the river at Oakamoor is now used as the road access to the Oakamoor Picnic Site car park (following structural problems with the old road bridge),
d) the station buildings at Alton are in private ownership as a holiday let (Landmark Trust),
d) the walk from the station to the theme park is too far for the thrill seeker of today.
None of which are insurmountable.

As for Stoke to Leekbroook;
The line from Leekbrook to Endon was cleared of trees a while ago, and remains clear.
The line from Endon to Stoke is a forest of mature trees. There is a mine of new, flat bottomed rail, lineside at a location I am not prepared to disclose!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
It would be good if, in the not too distant future, part of these lines could be extended.

Status
Not open for further replies.