• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Churnet Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSR 40th anniversary celebrations start tomorrow line up and timetable on Churnet Valley Website - some surprises

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I’ve been trying to work out how to get there by public transport. Can’t find this vital information on the website, but that may just be user error.

A 34 bus from Uttoxeter seems one option, but any other ideas are welcome please.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I think there is also an option from Stoke-on-Trent Station. It appears to be half hourly Mon-Friday & also Sats. and involves using a no.14 from the station to Hanley Bus Station (7 mins) From there take the 16?service to Cheddleton (final destination I think is Leek) approximately 25 mins duration on this leg.

Last edited:

Established Member
Thanks for that suggestion, not an area I know well, but did use Hanley bus station once after a Port Vale game. That may connect better as an hour in Uttoxeter came with my first option.

Just looked at the First Potteries journey planner and that does seem a better option, so thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

Established Member
This could equally go in trip reports but it’s here as it follows on from previous posts.

An excellent day out, well worth the effort for this first time visitor. Went from London via Stoke-on-Trent as suggested.

Frequent buses from Stoke railway station to Hanley bus station where a First Group number 32 took me to Kingsley. From there it is a 15 minute walk down hill to Froghall station, although that is along the A52 and the pavement runs out for a short stretch. The road wasn’t too busy but you need to be alert. Would definitely not recommend this in the reverse direction unless you enjoy hill climbing.

Therefore returned from Cheddleton. Again a 15 minute walk, this time along the canal to the bus stop for a D+G bus back to Hanley. Had 40 minutes to wait for the bus but the Red Lion came to the rescue.

As for the railway itself, it is rather delightful. The station architecture is very well kept, good cafes at Froghall and Cheddleton, and the Black Lion (no relation) at Consall is worth stopping off at too. The climb from Cheddleton to Ipstones seemed quite steep, certainly made the steam locos work. Happy friendly staff, nothing not to like.

For those interested in the motive power, two steam locos (American and Polish), a couple of 33s and an 08 were working by the time I arrived. Seems they also have a 20, 25 and a 47, but don’t know how serviceable the 25 is. The other two won’t go anywhere soon by the looks of them.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Sounds like an excellent trip 306024, glad it all went well. It would be an absolute dream if one day the mothballed Stoke to Leekbrook line was actually reinstated, although I wouldn't hold my breath on that one!

AndrewE

Established Member
Try D&G bus website too no16 I think
That's what Traveline suggests too. I like https://www.traveline.info/ because you can just give it an origin like [SOT] and a destination postcode and it covers almost all the conceivable options. You can tell it how far you are prepared to walk, too. When there are lots of bus routes you could use it's very useful, especially in a city you don't know.

gazthomas

Established Member
I wonder if they ran a vintage bus like the Epping Ongar Railway, at least on big event days they would increase their custom

Established Member
That would be helpful if a willing volunteer could be found, although you are never sure about the finances of such operations. The Epping Ongar bus is quite popular, and useful when it runs to and from Shenfield.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Sounds like an excellent trip 306024, glad it all went well. It would be an absolute dream if one day the mothballed Stoke to Leekbrook line was actually reinstated, although I wouldn't hold my breath on that one!
Yes it would be good if that line did reopen, I think they were hoping for a couple of other extentions, but these things take time. I think sometimes they run on towards Cauldon Lowe/Ipstones?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Yes it would be good if that line did reopen, I think they were hoping for a couple of other extentions, but these things take time. I think sometimes they run on towards Cauldon Lowe/Ipstones?

Yes that's correct, although only as far as Ipstones now as the track was lifted between there and Cauldon a few years ago sadly. It's also a similar situation on the main route of the Churnet Valley Railway with the track also now removed after Kingsley & Froghall onwards to Oakamoor which also used to see the occasional dmu working through on special days.

Calthrop

Established Member
I understand that the preservationists concerned, hope that in better times to come they may be able to reinstate the lifted track into Cauldon Lowe, and Oakamoor, and resume services to those places: quite honestly IMO, prompting the thought -- in the words of one of my favourite alternative-history authors -- "and then you wake up".

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I understand that the preservationists concerned, hope that in better times to come they may be able to reinstate the lifted track into Cauldon Lowe, and Oakamoor, and resume services to those places: quite honestly IMO, prompting the thought -- in the words of one of my favourite alternative-history authors -- "and then you wake up".

And if ones confidence is so low about resuming operations to the above, what would the chances now of going beyond Cauldon Lowe and onwards to Waterhouses where the heavy rail system had an interchange with the former Leek & Manifold narrow gauge line....I believe this was also considered a longer term possibility not so long ago?

Calthrop

Established Member
And if ones confidence is so low about resuming operations to the above, what would the chances now of going beyond Cauldon Lowe and onwards to Waterhouses where the heavy rail system had an interchange with the former Leek & Manifold narrow gauge line...I believe this was also considered a longer term possibility not so long ago?

(My bolding) -- good luck with prising the "trackbed" route of the n/g line, out of the hands of the local council: to whom it was made over between the line's closure in 1934, and World War II -- council made it in its entirety, into a -- tarmac'd -- footpath, now called the Manifold Way. (A "Wadebridge -- Padstow" situation, originating half a lifetime earlier, as it were.)

Calthrop

Established Member
(My bolding) -- good luck with prising the "trackbed" route of the n/g line, out of the hands of the local council: to whom it was made over between the line's closure in 1934, and World War II -- council made it in its entirety, into a -- tarmac'd -- footpath, now called the Manifold Way. (A "Wadebridge -- Padstow" situation, originating half a lifetime earlier, as it were.)

Or -- taking thought -- was the idea just to extend the short distance onward to Waterhouses (where I believe the station building and platforms are still in situ) -- no thought of re-making the n/g line? I suppose "back to Waterhouses" would have some point to it, i.e. giving a proper terminal station for the s/g branch.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Or -- taking thought -- was the idea just to extend the short distance onward to Waterhouses (where I believe the station building and platforms are still in situ) -- no thought of re-making the n/g line? I suppose "back to Waterhouses" would have some point to it, i.e. giving a proper terminal station for the s/g branch.

That's as I imagined their intentions Mr C, also serving as a starting point for those wishing to walk the route of the old L&MV?

vlad

And if ones confidence is so low about resuming operations to the above, what would the chances now of going beyond Cauldon Lowe and onwards to Waterhouses where the heavy rail system had an interchange with the former Leek & Manifold narrow gauge line....I believe this was also considered a longer term possibility not so long ago?

The line to the quarry was on a branch off the "main" line to Waterhouses so it's a case of either-or. Certainly Waterhouses is a more obvious place to have a station - and I also remember reading that there were plans to do that - but it'd require a lot more work to get the line reopened.

To be honest I can't see the Churnet Valley Railway ever extending their line. I appreciate they've got planning permission to extend towards Leek and they've cleared the trees off the track in the direction of Endon but I'm not holding my breath.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
The line to the quarry was on a branch off the "main" line to Waterhouses so it's a case of either-or. Certainly Waterhouses is a more obvious place to have a station - and I also remember reading that there were plans to do that - but it'd require a lot more work to get the line reopened.

To be honest I can't see the Churnet Valley Railway ever extending their line. I appreciate they've got planning permission to extend towards Leek and they've cleared the trees off the track in the direction of Endon but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for clarifying vlad....so it seems that there's actually quite a few of us not holding our respective breaths then!

JayDee

The company still exists according to companies house and has a mailing address in Stoke. From what I understand plans began to go slightly awry when there was the possibility of the two quarries coming under one owner, thus only the need for one loading yard. The track was scrapped due to life expiry and unsuitability for modern freight.

Long term there's a few plans from MCR which does include an extension to Water houses as it is a small tourist trap and a great gateway to the Manifold Way so would be great for cyclists and tourists.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Frequent buses from Stoke railway station to Hanley bus station where a First Group number 32 took me to Kingsley. From there it is a 15 minute walk down hill to Froghall station, although that is along the A52 and the pavement runs out for a short stretch. The road wasn’t too busy but you need to be alert. Would definitely not recommend this in the reverse direction unless you enjoy hill climbing.

For future reference, in case you or other thread readers fancy a visit. Stay on the 32 bus for a couple of minutes longer to Kingsley Holt, then walk down that road to Froghall. It's much the same distance but there is a footway all the way. No let-up on the steep climb to get back though. Also there is a nice bench to wait for the return bus (and recover from the climb) at the road junction near to the bus stop.

For less able visitors, there is an infrequent bus from Leek to Cheddleton Station. Operates just three times per day and Monday to Friday only, so perhaps no use for weekend trips but you can generally access the site on weekdays even if no trains are running. Timetable attached for Aimee's / Taxico service 116

Attachments

• z - aimees 116 - apr 18.pdf
    532.4 KB · Views: 6

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
The trackbed between the quarry junction and Waterhouses Station has been partly removed so a substantial job to put it back - the cement works at Cauldon digging up shale to burn in their cement kilns as I recall.

furnessvale

Established Member
The cement plant at Cauldon Low is the largest in the UK not rail connected. I understand the company involved are interested in restoring that connection. If that came to fruition then a joint use with the preservation group, a la East Leake, could be a possibility.

AndrewE

Established Member
The cement plant at Cauldon Low is the largest in the UK not rail connected. I understand the company involved are interested in restoring that connection. If that came to fruition then a joint use with the preservation group, a la East Leake, could be a possibility.
Orange jackets were working on vegetation clearance at the Stoke end a couple of weeks ago...

vlad

Orange jackets were working on vegetation clearance at the Stoke end a couple of weeks ago...

That could just be routine gardening. They removed the jungle from the down sidings at Longport some time within the past 18 months but haven't used the sidings at all to my knowledge and so the trees are starting to grow back.

Status
Not open for further replies.