• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CIG 1399 under threat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Elsewhere it has been reported that CIG 1399 at Meldon Quarry has met its demise as a result of lack of finances and support. I dont have any further details at this time but this is the loss of a second mk1 base EMU and specifically the second CIG in as many months.

Www.400series.co.uk hasnt been updated in over a year and VEP 3905 the one stripped of traction for the BEL is also based there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Do you have a link to these reports ?

Wasn't there talk about a thumper having to leave Meldon a short while ago ?

It seems suspicious that so many units seem to be under threat at the same time.

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Reports come from Linda Lymington Flyer's page on facebook

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1129231257168201&id=100002440115187
With the sad news that my old SWT, Meldon and Blaenavon friend 1399 has reached the end, it may be time to look at the serious costs of keeping MK1 units operating.
First of all, I am not criticising the decision made by Peter, the costs of keeping seven vehicles (one at Eastleigh and six at Meldon - the latter at commercial rates) meant something had to give.
It does mean there will be only two complete serviceable CIGs left. 1753 and 1497.
On the other hand it could (if the MBS swap happens) mean there are two complete vep/VOP units left. 3417, and 3905.
So two of each plus 4 CEP/BEP units, and the usual numbers of EPB and HAP units isn't such a big loss for the EMU scene perhaps.
I will be posting a few photos over the next few days of myself and 1399. It is sad this has had to happen but it is a lesson to us all about the costs of maintaining EMUs

Of course Meldon Quarry is charging commercial rates and the preservation movememt cannot sustain that level of outlay. If a thumper has previously had to leave then that would explain it.

Last edited by a moderator:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, it's a shame one of the preserved railways on the Southern Region can't take it on - somewhere with a bit of a connection, or even better a TOC as a depot mascot.

It's true what the facebook page says though. They're expensive things to do up.

fgwrich

Established Member
One of the Thumpers - Privately owned 1118 Left the line earlier this year after it sustained damage to the paintwork by lineside vegetation upon delivery. It left the line to be repainted on the West Somerset before moving on to the Lavender Line this year.

As for 1399. I'm very sorry if this the case - hopefully by demise it will be sold on rather than broken up? It's also not good news for 76818 - Long stored and slowly being worked on at Eastleigh Works, I believe this was intended to end up as the other driving vehicle for 1399.

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/G...rks/cig76818eastleighworks5thjanuary2012.html

Monty

Established Member
There is no chance his unit will be sold on I'm afraid, the owner made it quite clear 1399 minus one coach will be completely stripped for spares (Inc the bogies) for the other unit he owns. The remaining coach will be used to form a complete 4 car set, all that will remain will be 3 empty husks fit for nothing but the scrap man.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There is no chance his unit will be sold on I'm afraid, the owner made it quite clear 1399 minus one coach will be completely stripped for spares (Inc the bogies) for the other unit he owns. The remaining coach will be used to form a complete 4 car set, all that will remain will be 3 empty husks fit for nothing but the scrap man.

What's the other unit out of interest ?

fgwrich

Established Member
What's the other unit out of interest ?

3905 - the ex Connex 3 VOP.

http://www.400series.co.uk/?page_id=462

If that's the case then I'm very sorry to see another CIG going and possibly the last of the Greyhpund units. I'd personally rather see the VOP face the bin than the CIG but it's down to the owners choice. My only hope then is that can donate a load of parts to the CEP 7105 project, including seats, window frames and interior fittings - the CEP will require the interior of the DTC for example.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
3905 - the ex Connex 3 VOP.

http://www.400series.co.uk/?page_id=462

If that's the case then I'm very sorry to see another CIG going and possibly the last of the Greyhpund units. I'd personally rather see the VOP face the bin than the CIG but it's down to the owners choice. My only hope then is that can donate a load of parts to the CEP 7105 project, including seats, window frames and interior fittings - the CEP will require the interior of the DTC for example.

Yes I would agree, given the VOP's already in a non-authentic condition. Still, at least its a Southern Region slammer.

The interior fittings of a phase 2 CIG are nothing like an un-refurbed CEP (which would have been more akin to a phase 1 CIG, although still not the same) so I fear that they would not be of much use for that project.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ah well, it seems the VOP's in a better condition. EMU's have a tendency to deteriorate quite rapidly when outdoors.

I wonder if the owners thought of sticking the CIG trailer in the VOP to make it up to a 4 carriage unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.