• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CIG Hauling PIG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexS

Established Member
Apparently, the story is this:

the 442 failed at Wimbledon, not suitable for passenger services but suitable to run, apparently. The driver to get it back to Bournemouth was supposed to be riding down on the cushions to pick it up and get it back. He pointed out to control that it would in fact be faster for him to take the spare CIG down and pick the 442 up than ride down on a passenger train. The 442 was cut in and working apparently.

Beaker

Established Member
Holland on Rail said:
A 2 car EMU is not designed to houl a 4 car train.. I don't think you want to kill (Overload) the engines of particulary this CIG.

Still.... a nice video...
A 3 cig is called a 3 cig for a good reason it is 3 cars long

sorry im in a sarcastic mood today

devon_metro

Established Member
Holland on Rail said:
A 2 car EMU is not designed to houl a 4 car train.. I don't think you want to kill (Overload) the engines of particulary this CIG.

Still.... a nice video...

And if you were refering to the 442 they are 5 car units.

TheSlash

Established Member
A CIG has 1,000hp created by 4 x 250HP series wound EE507 traction motors.
Removing the TSO gives you a better traction to weight ratio than a normal 4 car, so a 3 car CIG is a good candidate for a 'tractor'.
In they're day to day life, we used to often use a 4 car to tow another, failed, 4 car, although it was prefered to use 8 to tow 4
So in short, the unit wouldn't of minded to much if it had been required to tow the 5 WES.
Nice to see one of my old beasts' stretching it's legs, especially between Basingstoke and Woking

Coxster

Established Member
TheSlash said:
Nice to see one of my old beasts' stretching it's legs, especially between Basingstoke and Woking
Yeah, there are some good places (and people) between Basingstoke and Woking :nike:

T

Tom

From what I can make out, there was a fault with the country-end cab. They reversed using the 442 cab into the depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.