• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Circular" Bus Days Out with Rover tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Not sure what your asking here, even setting grammar aside it doesn't really make sense. Which area of Stagecoach do you mean? As I've already said, the Dayrider Gold covers the entirety of southern Britain. I can't say about the northern areas though.

Pot? Kettle?

On topic, I seem to remember stagecoach did at one time do a pass that was valid anywhere in the country - obviously you'd have to use other means to get between some of the areas they serve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Martin2012

I've done a few days out from Yate with a Wiltshire Day Rover(you could buy them on Andybus service 41 and I'm guessing Coachstyle sell them too). Several times the trip consisted of:

Yate-Malmesbury
Malmesbury-Chippenham
Chippenham-Bath
Bath-Bristol
Bristol-Emersons Green
Emersons Green-Yate

This of course meant that I couldn't use the Wiltshire Day Rover for every journey. I seem to remember at the time I brought weekly Freedom Travelpass tickets which enabled me to do the other journeys in the Bath/Bristol/South Gloucestershire area. I also did Chippenham-Bristol on the train a couple of times.

I also remember once doing a journey from Yate-Malmesbury-Swindon-Trowbridge with a WDR and then catching the service from Trowbridge to Bath. The driver on that got a bit funny about accepting my WDR but reluctantly did. Are Wiltshire Day Rover's actually valid on the Trowbridge-Bath service?

Polarbear

Established Member
The Stagecoach North West day ticket (£10.50) can offer a good day out. A circular trip may be a little difficult but the following itinerary could be described as a "figure of eight"?

Preston - Lancaster - Kirkby Lonsdale - Kendal - Lancaster - Blackpool - Preston.

Actually, you could do most of that (everything bar the Kirkby Lonsdale - Kendal part) on a Stagecoach Lancashire day ticket (£7.20).

A £4.00 Chester & Wirral Megarider plus day ticket will get you Chester - Heswall - West Kirby - Birkenhead - (Liverpool) - Chester.

Arriva North West Day Ticket i've done Birkenhead-Chester-Crewe-Macclesfield-Manchester-Altrincham-Warrington[that's when Arriva operated the Altrincham-Warrington 37-38]Liverpool-Birkenhead. Can't do this route now on the one ticket as Arriva don't operate anymore on the Altrincham-Warrington route.

I used to do this circular a lot in Crosville days. :D A single on Warrington Transport from Warrington to Altrincham won't cost a huge amount to complete the circle?

bus man

Currently in the north / midlands we have the Derbyshire wayfarer', the travelmaster for South Yorkshire and the metro day card for west Yorks. All do buses and trains and trams for sy

RELL6L

Hi, I am a new member.
I have done a number of day trips over the past 10 years. I am not old enough for a free pass yet. I use a "rover" type ticket where possible but often I just have to pay the fares.

Here is one I did in April (15.4.14, trip no 106):
Morris Travel 288: Llandovery 9.15, Lampeter 10.19 (not Wednesday)
Lewis 585: Lampeter 11.25, Aberystwyth 12.58
Richards X50: Aberystwyth 14.10, Aberaeron 14.45
First 40/40C: Aberaeron 15.15, Carmarthen 16.49
Morris Travel 280: Carmarthen 17.45, Llandovery 19.05
All for £7.50, the price of a West Wales Rover (plus quite a lot of petrol to get there)

Highlights:
1) The beautiful scenery between Llandovery and Lampeter
2) The back roads around Tregaron between Lampeter and Aberystwyth
3) Aberystwyth, the harbour, castle and sea front
4) Aberaeron, the harbour and beautifully coloured houses around it

Lots more trips I have done that I can write about in future if anyone is interested, across most of the southern half of the UK.

sonic2009

Established Member
I willl apologize for my grammar. The forum app sometimes plays up.

The ticket i was trying to enquire about was like Deerfold has explain, it was like a megarider but one that you could use over a wider area.

I will do some research :)

sonic2009

Established Member
I've just done Leicester to Birmingham with Arriva Midlands & Diamond :)

29A 0835 Leicester St Margarets Bus Station - Coalville Ashby Road 0929
9A 0930 Coalville Ashby Road - Burton-Upon-Trent New Street 1025
7 1120 Burton-Upon-Trent - Lichfield Bus Station 1220
35 1238 Lichfield Bus Station - Aldridge Shopping Centre 1308

Then i travelled on the 56 into Birmingham arriving at 1400.

Good day out for £6.20 Arriva Midlands Day Saver from Leicester - Aldridge, used my NWM pass from Aldridge - Birmingham.

RELL6L

The Derbyshire wayfarer ticket is very good as it includes trains and travel outside the county provided you are travelling to or from the county. Here is a trip I did using just this ticket (25.5.12, trip 75)
Bowers (now High Peak) 442: Ashbourne 8.40 Buxton 9.52
Transpeak Buxton 10.40 Bakewell 11.10
Hulleys 173 Bakewell 12.05 Castleton 12.55
Hulleys 272 Castleton 13.00 Sheffield 14.10
Stagecoach X17 Sheffield 14.40 Matlock 16.04
Trent Barton 6.1 Matlock 16.30 Matlock Bath 16.35
Trent Barton 6.1 Matlock Bath 17.00 Cromford 17.02
TM Travel 110 Cromford 17.17 Ashbourne 17.57

Highlights:
1) The scenery between Ashbourne & Buxton, especially Hartington and from Crowdecote to Earl Sterndale
2) Buxton, a lovely spa town
3) Bakewell
4) Peak district from Bakewell to Castleton and from Castleton to Fox House

quarella

Although Arriva no longer operate the Carmarthen - Abaeron service I think this is still possible. Carmarthen - Aberaeron - Cardigan - Fishguard (via Poppet Sands)- Cardigan - Carmarthen. http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=89290

My most recent trip was using a First Southwest day ticket which covers Bristol across to Chippenham and right to the far end of Cornwall (with gaps) for £7.00.
Weston-super-Mare - Wells - Bath - Frome - Bath (Slow route) - Bristol - Weston-super-Mare.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Although Arriva no longer operate the Carmarthen - Abaeron service I think this is still possible. Carmarthen - Aberaeron - Cardigan - Fishguard (via Poppet Sands)- Cardigan - Carmarthen. http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=89290

My most recent trip was using a First Southwest day ticket which covers Bristol across to Chippenham and right to the far end of Cornwall (with gaps) for £7.00.
Weston-super-Mare - Wells - Bath - Frome - Bath (Slow route) - Bristol - Weston-super-Mare.

Not only can you still do it, you get the choice of Lewis or First who both operate the 40/40c since Arriva pulled out

Status
Not open for further replies.