Circular trip, London - Kent (plus Highspeed)

DeeGee

So, I'm going to London this weekend, arriving Friday night and departing on the Hull Trains service at 18.48 on Monday night.

Since booking my tickets, though, my mum's had an accident and is currently in Tunbridge Wells hospital awaiting surgery. That surgery may or may not happen this week.

So, seeing as how I'm at the "right" end of the country this weekend, I thought I might drop by and see if I can visit mum and also spend some time with Dad. Dad lives in Aylesford.

So, as I'm leaving the car at home, I need to work out the best way to make this journey. It's possible I might be able to get a lift with Dad from Tunbridge Wells to Aylesford, and possibly thence to Strood. As I'd be returning north from Kings Cross on the Monday evening, it would be better for me to get Highspeed to St Pancras on return. Really, for most convenience, though, if I could buy some sort of ticket with a destination that would allow me BoJ at Tonbridge/High Brooms outward, and to BoJ at Aylesford and/or Strood on return would be better, and then I could make the journey all by rail if Dad's not up to the drive.

Now, my starting point for this research is a Off-Peak Day return from London terminals to Tonbridge PLUS HIGHSPEED which is £39.70, and a ticket from Tonbridge to High Brooms. But is London - Tonbridge valid via the Medway Valley Line? Or am I able to use something like London - Beltring + HS instead, which is much cheaper? Would that ticket be valid via Tonbridge on the classic lines?

Or is such a thing not likely to be possible?

It's only me travelling, and I'm a middle aged man with no railcard. I'll be staying in Kensington and using Contactless to get from my hotel to the station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
I do not understand why you have purchased a London terminals to Tonbridge off peak return plus High Speed when the High Speed line does not go to Tonbridge.
It will be considerably cheaper to buy a off peak return from St. Pancras to Tonbridge via the Thameslink line changing at London Bridge. Any

DeeGee

I do not understand why you have purchased a London terminals to Tonbridge off peak return plus High Speed when the High Speed line does not go to Tonbridge.
It will be considerably cheaper to buy a off peak return from St. Pancras to Tonbridge via the Thameslink line changing at London Bridge. Any
Yes, if I was just going to High Brooms, I'd just go on the classic lines. It's the second part of the day that really I'd want to use HS1 for, Medway Valley line to St Pancras via Strood + HS1.

It's a rather convoluted itinerary, and I don't know whether I'm going to need it, but I'm planning anyway.

Effectively the whole journey is Earl's Court - High Brooms, then High Brooms - Aylesford (which I might not do by train), then Aylesford - St Pancras via HS1, but three single tickets like that would be a dear do, wouldn't they?

I've had a look at the Routing Guide data here, http://data.atoc.org/routeing-guide which implies that London to Beltring is valid via both Tonbridge and Strood, so a +HS ticket routed that way would be fine for my requirements, wouldn't it? Would it be acceptable for BoJ at TON and AYL/SOO. I don't wat to fall foul of something because I'm looking at the routing guide and don't really understand it.

Last edited:

hkstudent

Yes, if I was just going to High Brooms, I'd just go on the classic lines. It's the second part of the day that really I'd want to use HS1 for, Medway Valley line to St Pancras via Strood + HS1.

It's a rather convoluted itinerary, and I don't know whether I'm going to need it, but I'm planning anyway.

Effectively the whole journey is Earl's Court - High Brooms, then High Brooms - Aylesford (which I might not do by train), then Aylesford - St Pancras via HS1, but three single tickets like that would be a dear do, wouldn't they?

I've had a look at the Routing Guide data here, http://data.atoc.org/routeing-guide which implies that London to Beltring is valid via both Tonbridge and Strood, so a +HS ticket routed that way would be fine for my requirements, wouldn't it? Would it be acceptable for BoJ at TON and AYL/SOO. I don't wat to fall foul of something because I'm looking at the routing guide and don't really understand it.
Actually, travelling from Tonbridge on classic line to London Bridge than Thameslink to St. Pancras is faster than a car to Strood then High Speed to St Pancras.
Classic Lines from Tonbridge to London Bridge only calls at Sevenoaks. There is a very frequent Thameslink service from London Bridge to St. Pancras which you don't need to be worried about.

While HS1 from Strood also need to call at Gravesend, Ebbsfleet International and Stratford International, before reaching St. Pancras/

DeeGee

Ah, yes, but I also want to visit Aylesford. I'm trying to do both destinations on one ticket if that's doable.

hkstudent

Ah, yes, but I also want to visit Aylesford. I'm trying to do both destinations on one ticket if that's doable.
That's impossible to do both High Brooms and Aylesford on one ticket, as High Brooms doesn't have plus HS1 option. Though Tonbridge and Aylesford can be done on one ticket. You need to ticket to somewhere between Aylesford and Tonbridge.

What I would suggest is:

1. Super Off-Peak Day Return to Maidstone Barracks: £20.80 + Single (leg) Fare excess to HS1: £1.30 = £22.10 (If you want to save the time to not to buy fare excess, then buy London - Maidstone Barracks Plus HS1 Super Off-Peak: £23.40)

[Maidstone is the northmost station that you can go via Tonbridge]

Though you still need a single ticket to go to High Brooms from Tonbridge.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeeGee

That's impossible to do both High Brooms and Aylesford on one ticket, as High Brooms doesn't have plus HS1 option. Though Tonbridge and Aylesford can be done on one ticket. You need to ticket to somewhere between Aylesford and Tonbridge.

What I would suggest is:

1. Super Off-Peak Day Return to Maidstone Barracks: £20.80 + Single (leg) Fare excess to HS1: £1.30 = £22.10 (If you want to save the time to not to buy fare excess, then buy London - Maidstone Barracks Plus HS1 Super Off-Peak: £23.40)

Though you still need a single ticket to go to High Brooms from Tonbridge.
Excellent, thanks. I hoped something like that would work. I didn't know that I could excess a single leg on HS1.

Ironically, that's a ticket I've bought a few times. Never thought to go Maidstone to London via Tonbridge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veteran Member

What I would suggest is:

That's a good spot if you are happy with the 1000 start time - for some reason the HS1 version isn't available to stations south of Maidstone. Significantly cheaper than Tonbridge anyway!

DeeGee

That's a good spot if you are happy with the 1000 start time - for some reason the HS1 version isn't available to stations south of Maidstone. Significantly cheaper than Tonbridge anyway!
It is the perfect ticket, thanks.

One final question, mum might be back home at the weekend, in which case, if I buy the same ticket, I presume LONDON TERMINALS to MAIDSTONE STATIONS + HIGHSPEED is clearly valid to Aylesford changing at Maidstone East? Does that mean I can break journey at Barming on the outward?

Coming from Earls Court it's likely to be quicker to Maidstone via Victoria, and I'm usually happy to walk less than two miles from the station to my folks' house rather than faffing about with buses. I'll still return via AYL, SOO and STP as I'll have a fixed itinerary in mind for that.

No, it won't, St Pancras is much quicker. If mum's home I'll get a return to Aylesford.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

paul1609

Established Member
The One way HS1 supplement from Maidstone is £2.60 Super Off Peak and that'll work the barriers at St P. you can buy that from any Southeastern TVM, good luck trying to find anybody who'll sell an excess to route HS1 instead or just buy the plus HS1 return anyway especially if you haven't got a valid ticket for St Pancras to City Thameslink as the London Terminals not HS1 aren't valid.