• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Circular Yeovil-Weymouth-Eastleigh-Yeovil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pen Mill

This is almost certainly a no-brainer but I'll try anyway !
This Saturday I'm thinking of calling in on the Swanage Gala and also visiting Eastleigh. I have a senior railcard
If I book 3 anytime singles I have :- YVJ-ESL £15.70 , ESL-WEY with BOJ at Wareham £16.70 and WEY-YVP £5.35 , the total cost is £37.75
The no-brainer option is taking the Freedom of Severn Solent 3 in 7 days @ £27.72 after railcard discount.

Is there a cheaper way of doing the circuit that I'm missing please ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

embers25

Established Member
You could try:

Crewkerne to Bournemouth, Poole or Wareham and all these tickets have both route Dorchester West and Route Salisbury options so you can go both ways around the loop and would be cheapest going out via Weymouth and upgrading the return route to via Salisbury. You can double back from Upwey to Weymouth but you would need to pay from Southampton to Eastleigh. Any of these will work but cheapest if going via Eastleigh first would be Bournemouth at CDR 19.95, Anytime Day return 20.00 (unless it went up in the latest fares increases)

wintonian

Established Member
Castle Cary - Wareham SVR £13.25 via Dorchester West then change of route excess on the return to via Salisbury £9.50, total £22.75

I would go with the rover

Pen Mill

Thanks for your replies , you really need to know where to look !!

After all that , I've decided that I won't visit Eastleigh because the day gets a bit hectic , so I'm just going for Swanage.
The Return fare from Pen Mill to Wareham via Weymouth is a princely £8.50 !

I've established that I can travel directly into Weymouth rather than having to walk between the Dorchester stations which I didn't fancy.
The timings slot pretty well too !

Thanks again

andykn

I've established that I can travel directly into Weymouth rather than having to walk between the Dorchester stations which I didn't fancy.

Very wise, dodgy place to be walking on your own, Dorchester.

Pen Mill

Very wise, dodgy place to be walking on your own, Dorchester.
Indeed it is !

Being serious for a minute , many of you will consider a 7 to 10 minute walk a doddle ; having been ill for a few months , it's anything but a doddle for me which brings me to the next question.

Routing via Dorchester West involves a compulsory walk . I'm sure this is allowed but how much of a walk is considered to be part of a rail journey ? and should a rail only or rail-bus-rail journey be mandatory as part of the offer ? ; in this case :- Yeovil-Upwey-Wareham or Yeovil-Weymouth-Wareham.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Routing via Dorchester West involves a compulsory walk . I'm sure this is allowed but how much of a walk is considered to be part of a rail journey ? and should a rail only or rail-bus-rail journey be mandatory as part of the offer ? ; in this case :- Yeovil-Upwey-Wareham or Yeovil-Weymouth-Wareham.

That's a good question. I am of the opinion that a walk must never be required to take a train journey. My logic is that the shortest route is always valid and that route is defined by the National Rail Timetable (NRT).

The NRT doesn't define walks, so the shortest route can be made up of journeys in the timetable only.

It is, of course, often possible to do the journey in a shorter distance by walking between stations, and this would be a permitted route since it's within 3 miles of the shortest route (actually it's a minus distance).

John @ home

Established Member
That's a good question. I am of the opinion that a walk must never be required to take a train journey. My logic is that the shortest route is always valid and that route is defined by the National Rail Timetable (NRT).
My opinion is slightly different.

I agree that a "walk" (or other non-"rail" transport) is never required in the calculation of "Permitted Routes" for any journey. For this calculation, "rail" includes official rail replacement transport.

But the route which a passenger may take can then be limited by the route shown on the ticket. That route may require a "walk" (or other non-"rail" transport) for the passenger to complete the journey.

Examples are Watford Jn - Luton route Via St Albans Abbey and Weymouth - Exeter Central route Via Thornford and Honiton.

Pen Mill

My opinion is slightly different.

I agree that a "walk" (or other non-"rail" transport) is never required in the calculation of "Permitted Routes" for any journey. For this calculation, "rail" includes official rail replacement transport.

But the route which a passenger may take can then be limited by the route shown on the ticket. That route may require a "walk" (or other non-"rail" transport) for the passenger to complete the journey.

Examples are Watford Jn - Luton route Via St Albans Abbey and Weymouth - Exeter Central route Via Thornford and Honiton.
I wish to travel to Wareham from Yeovil Pen Mill without walking between the Dorchester stations , IE via Upwey or Weymouth, am I penalised on fares because I can't manage that walk ?

embers25

Established Member
My understanding was Upwey is the offical interchange point and there is an easement alownig doubling back between Upwaey and Weymouth and so travelling via Weymouth is fine. During the hours when the intershuttle bus doesn't run in Yeovil I'd argue Yeovil Pen Mill to Sherborne should be allowed as that at least doesn't involve a walk down the narrow road to Yeovil Junction.

clagmonster

Established Member
I wish to travel to Wareham from Yeovil Pen Mill without walking between the Dorchester stations , IE via Upwey or Weymouth, am I penalised on fares because I can't manage that walk ?
Permiited routes for Yeovil Pen Mill-Wareham are as follows:
Travel on direct trains. There are none.

The shortest route. This is clearly:
Yeovil-Dorchester West 20.5 miles http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse documents/eNRT/May12/timetables/Table 123.pdf
Dorchester South-Wareham 15 miles http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse documents/eNRT/May12/timetables/Table 158.pdf
Total 35.5 miles

Routes permitted by the National Routeing Guide.
As Dorchester South, Dorchester West, Upwey and Weymouth are all members of the Weymouth Group, as the walk across Dorchester is a permitted route, you may double back to Weymouth (or Upwey) for interchange purposes.
http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/group_stations.pdf page 5
http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/RSPDocuments/instructions.pdf page 6

Therefore, I conclude that the walk is not neccesary and you may go all the way to Weymouth if desired.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Pen Mill

Indeed. As it is valid by either interpretation, we won't start the discussion.
Thanks Yorkie & Clagmonster.

As a matter of interest , the Saturday morning 10:07 is routed directly into Weymouth and although the return train I'm planning on is (the 16:49 ex-Wareham) routed on NRE as Dorchester walk , the information button shows that Weymouth can also be used on this ticket

Thanks Again

Edit : The reason for raising the point is that I was planning a similar journey ( To Lymington Pier) on a weekday and neither Upwy nor Weymouth figure.
Do you guys know why this would be ?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes that is correct, it is valid to double-back between Upwey and Weymouth on this ticket because of the Group Station rule in the Routeing Guide, which allows doubling-back within a routeing group for interchange purposes, where the origin & destination are not a member of the group.

Pen Mill

Thanks Yorkie ,
that's clearer now , it's taking me a while to understand the intricacies of this but I'm getting there !

Sequel :- I had a 15 minute changeover leeway on the return journey and the SWT was 34 minutes late leaving Wareham.
If you bare in mind that there's a nearly 3 hour wait for the next train at Weymouth , I needed an option urgently :-
Plan B !!
Alight at Dorchester South and taxi to Dorchester West.
This took my lead time to 15 -34+13 (Wey-DCW) + 10 (DCH-WEY) minutes = 4 minutes , taxi time = 3 minutes !! phew , this is going to be close.

For you that know the line there is a small section of sinbgle track just East of Dorchester South on the SWML , guess what , stopped for a train to leave South for 7 minutes .... game over !

Niot quite , I'd kept my wife informed and told her to be ready to do the 40 minute car journey from Yeovil to Dorchester !!!

An interesting finish to a an excellent day at Swanage , but I'll be going by car next year .

The crazy thing here is that there are 2 trains from Weymouth within 33 minutes (16:55 & 17:28) and then the next one is 2 hrs and 53 mins later.
Sorry Mr Timetabler , you've lost my vote whatever your pathing requirements are especially as the 16.55 and the 17.28 are only going as far as Bristol.

My pathing requirement in the car is leave when I want , arrive when I want most of the time.
I really love rail travel but if the organisers can't get it right for a 1 hour 20 minute ride with one change then I will need to build in too much slack into journeys like these to justify them.

Status
Not open for further replies.