• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Circumvesuviana experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejuggler

Just had a week in Italy and travelled a couple of times to Pompei from Sorrento on the above service.

Quirky springs to mind as it is a separate company which runs services around Naples on a local suburban metro type service. All overhead wire electrics.

Narrow 950mm gauge and stock which appears ancient, but isn't that old (compared to Pacers!). Completely graffiti covered, no aircon on the older stock, very creaky aluminium framed door and window sets, hard plastic seats, but despite the gauge very roomy inside. Modern stock has very few seats, they are built more for standing passengers. Services we used were two sets of three cars.

The trip takes about 30 minutes and has 13 stations, but some are missed depending on service. There is an occasional express with higher fares.

The single line (passing is in stations) follows the coast under the base of Mount Vesuvius around the Bay of Naples (full trip is about 70 minutes), but between Sorrento and Pompei there are about 5 tunnels blasted through the rock (the road has three tunnels, longest just over 5km) and numerous bridges across deep gorges. The longest tunnel has a noticeable incline as the line drops to almost sea level over its length.

With the need to time passing points in stations it can be a slow journey. On the return we did no more than about 15 mph for what seemed an age to ensure we arrived at stations perfectly on time. Once the pass had taken place the train seems to speed along, but with phone GPS you realise you are doing no more than 80km/h, 50mph!

Needless to say costs or pocket friendly. I think single only fares were €2.60 each way, good value for the fun journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BRX

Established Member
Travelled on this between Naples and Pompeii a couple of weeks ago.

One thing I noticed was a tendency for the train to stop, lurch forwards somewhat and then stop again, rather abruptly. This repeated a couple of times. I wondered if this was something to do with a signalling system with automatically triggered stops, or suchlike.

Fast Track

Travelled on this between Naples and Pompeii a couple of weeks ago.

One thing I noticed was a tendency for the train to stop, lurch forwards somewhat and then stop again, rather abruptly. This repeated a couple of times. I wondered if this was something to do with a signalling system with automatically triggered stops, or suchlike.
Travelled on it when first opened and again last year. Couldn’t believe how everything had deteriorated and clearly no effort to clear the mass of graffiti. The trains and stations looked totally neglected. Not a great experience in the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.