• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

City Thameslink

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Any plans to modernise this station ?

Blackfriars Farringdon and Pancras are state of the art but City feels very 90s and not the most pleasant

Guess limitations due to building style

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
Yes, I am not sure what could be done with it. To be fair it is functional and I have never found it unpleasant. Perhaps you have had a different experience. I would also say it is pretty much identical to St. Pancras (Thameslink)

AM9

Veteran Member
Any plans to modernise this station ?

Blackfriars Farringdon and Pancras are state of the art but City feels very 90s and not the most pleasant

Guess limitations due to building style

Apart from the gradients, (which aren't a problem for the class 700s as they were for the 319s), the station is operationally better than Farringdon as it doesn't have any curvature on the platforms.
Just how often do you expect stations to be cosmetically updated?

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Its only 30 years old. Hope you don't venture down the line to Loughborough Junction or anywhere!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Blackfriars, Farringdon and St Pancras (low level) cost more than a billion quid between them. No need for City TL; it's well above average. If money is to be spent on central London heavy rail underground stations, then it would, be better spent just up the road at Moorgate and/or Old St.

Failed Unit

Established Member
To be honest the only thing used to think was city was a bit dark. Going through today it is much brighter (in terms of light) that I recall.

TFN

If there's a station on TL that needs work is Elephant & Castle (And Underground too tbh). I don't do this with other stations but I'd actively avoid that station, like going to Blackfriars and taking a District/Circle to Embankment and then change for the Bakerloo line from there, instead of changing at E&C for the Bakerloo.

City Thameslink could just use a bit of brighter lighting and updated designs on the signs. But I rarely wait there as because I go mostly southbound, I take the first TL to Blackfriars and wait there. Can't beat that view of Platform 1.

theironroad

Established Member
I'd agree about lighting. I think that it would be a better environment if it was much brighter throughout its length. Maybe some vinyl wraps on the walls of dramatic mountain and coastal scenery (could be sponsored). Doesn't really need any major rebuilding, though I tend to use the ludgate circus end only.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think it has a few decorative issues found elsewhere, (eg on the Moorgate branch), with some elements of the original colour scheme embedded in long life components, eg stove enamelled metal panels, with what looks like dated colours...

I think there has to be a better way of signing the two separate entrances - having sticky labels every few yards directing you to the Ludgate and Holborn ends looks a bit messy...

ijmad

Established Member
Didn't they spent quite a bit of money back in 2010, to extend the platforms to 12 carriages? Think they redid the lights and decoration then too.

highspeed990

Looks very modern to me, anything built in the 90s is modern and probably will count as such for at least another 5-10 years.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'm using City quite a bit these days while bashing 700s and I don't think there's anything wrong with it and the lighting level is perfectly comfortable as well.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The impressive thing about City is that it was effectively ready for Thameslink “2000” in the early 90s. A rare example of planning for future demand.

It was ready for 'Thameslink Metro' before it was renamed Thameslink 2000.

StephenHunter

Established Member
To be honest the only thing used to think was city was a bit dark. Going through today it is much brighter (in terms of light) that I recall.

Has the same problems as Liverpool Street 11-18 in that department I'd say.

As for the signage, especially to us who can spot these things, Helevetica-family fonts like Rail Alphabet haven't dated well.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As for the signage, especially to us who can spot these things, Helevetica-family fonts like Rail Alphabet haven't dated well.

I think the signage (easily fixed with some decals) and the lighting (swap to LED) are the main issues, plus a good clean as it's decidedly grubby particularly the entrances. Maybe ten grand to sort it, subject to railway inflation? Hardly big money given how much gets made there.

Railguy1

Since this is a thread for City Thameslink, I remember returning from a work trip on the 9th September 17 (Saturday), and City Thameslink was closed. What was the reason for that? (Apologies for going off topic).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
City Thameslink is just a bit dull, and could do with being brightened up a bit, possibly through the use of more effective lighting. There is nothing majorly wrong with it otherwise. It is functional, and even have free WiFi available, resolving the issue of poor phone signal reception.

If money had to be spent, they could do with tarting up a few south London stations they serve. Most of them are a disgrace.

RichJF

I used to commute from City Thameslink for about 3 years. The station is a bit dingy & the platforms can get quite crowded (especially in periods of disruption). The one thing I noticed was that when a member of staff tried to manually announce something the sound system always cut out!

Could do with a deep clean & a couple of new shops in the foyer. It's not that bad to be honest; a lot better than some other stations in London.

Lee_Again

Given the closeness of both Farringdon and Blackfriars I'd consider closing the station and replacing the platforms with passing loops to store defective trains. The 'Core' is crying out for contingency space and this could be it. A couple of sensibly placed switches and you could even turn trains around. Just a thought.

LeeLivery

Established Member
The lighting at City seems darker onboard then when on the actual platform. The station as a whole could do with some colour and the entrances/booking hall could do with a little spruce up. Artwork or coloured lighting on the platforms would be nice and would be quite cheap to do.

As for Elephant, the corridors have been made nicer, but the platforms are bad. Hopefully, with the shopping centre being bulldozed and the proposed Bakerloo extension, the entrances will improve. Loughborough Junction isn't very nice and the Northern City (apart from the NSE signage) is a disgrace.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Given the closeness of both Farringdon and Blackfriars I'd consider closing the station and replacing the platforms with passing loops to store defective trains. The 'Core' is crying out for contingency space and this could be it. A couple of sensibly placed switches and you could even turn trains around. Just a thought.

Isn't it the nearest stop to the Old Bailey? The briefs won't like that.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Isn't it the nearest stop to the Old Bailey? The briefs won't like that.

City gives good access onto Ludgate Hill, aiding dispersal via Fleet St (westwards) and past St. Paul's cathedral (eastways) as well as the significant office space around cheapside. Closure would effectively deaden access to these areas, so is a non-starter in my view.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Replacing the bulbs in (or removing completely) the uplighters would be a start. That only some work and they have different colour temperature bulbs in them looks really scruffy.

What's that going to cost, 200 quid for the lot maybe? Money well spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.