• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cityfox Bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhysHand

True. Though it's worth noting that neither Foxstar nor NAT operate from the Friars Walk bus station where they could compete more effectively with Newport Transport. I don't know whether the City Council own/control Friars Walk though.

We are more than happy to be operating from Market Square, it’s welcomed by our customers, and much more room for us to add additional routes

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RhysHand

I applaud Cityfox for using a different stand from Newport Bus .Its better than Phil Anslow who in his fight with Stagecoach wants to use the same stand.Wish you all the best in your venture.

Thank you for your kind comments!

carlberry

Established Member
Interesting. Thanks for the link - will try to get the op co changed to FoxStar too.
Good luck with that! It took them a month to put the new Traws Cymru timetables up and the Welsh Government wanted those done!!

RhysHand

It is but it's very wrong as it's missing the part of the day when the service runs every 12 minutes and therefore it shows as a morning and evening service only?!

Shows how good my eyesight is, I didn’t even spot that, so thanks! I’ll get onto them straight away.

BBC

Was that one of your buses at temple meads yesterday Rhys ? If it was it looked bloody smart !

nesw

The long standing ‘Welsh Bus News’ compiled by David Donati has been following the Newport operations of ‘Foxstar’ and in the latest newsletter comments ‘The manager for the Newport operation, Keith Hempstead, left the company within the first day or so of the new service commencing.’

I believe that it should read Kevin Hempstead.

Certainly, Rhys did tweet last month that Harry Bergen had joined Twitter @burganharry and his profile says ‘Operations Manager, Newport.’

nesw

The application for a new licence for Snowdonia is still shown as pending.

Now, why would Rhys be posting on industry forums asking if anyone is selling a bus/coach business in Wales, with or without vehicles...

Last edited:

RhysHand

The application for a new licence for Snowdonia is still shown as pending.

Now, why would Rhys be posting on industry forums asking if anyone is selling a bus/coach business in Wales, with or without vehicles...

Because we are in the business to acquire. Vehicles or not, if someone has a business for disposal, we’ll look at it. Like many operators do.

nesw

He's doing it specifically and solely to allow you another excuse to cast aspersions.
He's not actually running a real company, y'know, just a pretend one to rile you. And lots of other people are playing along, so clearly they must all want to rile you too...

Thank you for your concern. I'm not the slightest bit 'riled', rather I'm surprised that Mr. Hand is promoting gaining contracts that require a increase in the number of vehicles operated on the current Operators Licence. I believe the current authorisation is for 3 vehicles that are currently running on a service in Newport. The application for a new/increased authorisation has yet to be accepted by the DVSA. I've also seen mention of launching further commercial services in the Newport area?

To give some background, I've consulted for many operators over the years and this example is an unconventional method of running a business. As for 'atraindrivers' assertion 'lots of people are playing along' , well that's their choice and it's regretable that he demonstrates a lack of respect when posting a reply.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thank you for your concern. I'm not the slightest bit 'riled', rather I'm surprised that Mr. Hand is promoting gaining contracts that require a increase in the number of vehicles operated on the current Operators Licence.

He's looking to purchase a business, not a stack of contracts. If he purchases a currently operating bus company, he'll get their O licence with the purchase.

embers25

Established Member
Thank you for your concern. I'm not the slightest bit 'riled', rather I'm surprised that Mr. Hand is promoting gaining contracts that require a increase in the number of vehicles operated on the current Operators Licence. I believe the current authorisation is for 3 vehicles that are currently running on a service in Newport. The application for a new/increased authorisation has yet to be accepted by the DVSA. I've also seen mention of launching further commercial services in the Newport area?

To give some background, I've consulted for many operators over the years and this example is an unconventional method of running a business. As for 'atraindrivers' assertion 'lots of people are playing along' , well that's their choice and it's regretable that he demonstrates a lack of respect when posting a reply.

Every one of your posts is blatantly disrespectful and looking to cause trouble or question motives and definitely aren't about promoting discussion or informative. It's one thing to hold a grudge but this clearly goes way beyond, despite your denials. Adding your supposed "background" gives your posts no more credence, they just come across as from a bitter ex-employee who has one hell of a grudge. Posting eloquently makes you no less of a troll and the fact you are obsessed with responding to every single thing that ever happens with Rhys (however irrelevant or minor) is verging on stalking. You continue to deny this but, as I've shown before, your posting history proves otherwise.

nesw

He's looking to purchase a business, not a stack of contracts. If he purchases a currently operating bus company, he'll get their O licence with the purchase.
It’s certainly one way to get an O licence.

And in reply to ‘embers25’ - I’m not an ex-employee of Mr. Hand , no grudge. I’m just amazed by some of his business methods. It’s a pity that you feel that discussion is a form of ‘stalking’ . If someone decides to seek publicity for their businesses, discussion is expected and essentially that’s what his forum provides. There are going to be differing points of view, let’s just try and keep it friendly and within the rules of the forum.

embers25

Established Member
Its not discussion though is it. Different points of view are fine but constantly trying to stir or finding fault with everything he does is not discussion, it's a vendetta. I certainly wouldn't call many of your previous comments friendly either so your comment is rather humourous, but I would expect nothing less from you now!

I would also argue he is informing and answering questions from people that are genuinely interested rather than seeking publicity/promotion for his business. The same was true of FirstKernow and also other reps from bus and rail companies that contribute to the many groups but you wouldn't see that I guess, given you pretty much only respond to threads on Rhys.

freetoview33

Established Member
Admittedly there were some odd bits a while ago, with saying there were buses and services running when there wasn't.

But now he seems to have finally got something off the ground, so hope it does work out will for him and it goes from strength to strength.

richard13

I had the opportunity to visit Newport recently and with some spare time went to look at the Foxstar one service and do some on-line research.

Firstly Mr Hand is recorded as being the sole director of Snowdonia Travel Ltd. This company runs the Foxstar one route. He and his company are of interest to the public, particularly competitors, staff, customers, regulatory authorities and others. He is affecting Newport and thus is under public scrutiny and all his tweets, posts, marketing slogans, etc as well as actions will be searched out and recorded. The down side of being in public.

Foxstar one is essentially a direct copy of Newport Bus services 15/16 (as 16) between the bus station and the isolated 1960's estate of Bettws. At the bus station, the one goes from the remote out of sight stand 24 compared to stands 1&2 of the 15/16 (loading continuously). Comparatively the one runs less frequently and does not provide early morning, evening or Sunday service. The simple adult and child single fares are slightly cheaper on the one, but fares like monthly, youth, network inclusive, etc utilising smart cards, are not offered. Thus for many customers it is more expensive, and bus pass holders will use the first bus to come along or the nearest stop at the bus station. WiFi is not offered on the one.

Historically local operators Stagecoach (11) and NAT (N4) have both run through services to Bettws and withdrawn them. In fact some stops in Bettws still display 2017 departure lists featuring the N4. A year ago (Jan 2018) the 15/16 was running at the higher frequency of every 7/8 minutes and was reduced last July to the present every 10 mins.

I observed a number of one departures across lunchtime and early afternoon and it was really quite sad. The white buses stand alone on the end stand with the next 2 stands mostly empty as NAT X5 only wizz in and out every 20 mins. The loadings were mostly in the range 3-6. Comparatively stands 1 & 2 were busy with buses, staff and passengers and 15/16 loadings were in double figures. The one could not have been covering its cost even without the £5 weekly ticket offer.

I have the depressing feeling that Mr Hand does not appreciate the standard business world. Taxi and bus hire are temporary and opportunistic activities even if their support agencies are more permanent. Most businesses are fixed, planned and have competition. They need industry appreciation and local market knowledge plus strategies. Newport Bus will defend their business, but so far they have absorbed the lost income and not spent money on retaliation. They certainly will not move aside or go out of business and have seen off 2 local competitors in recent history. If he has the funding he might prefer to cancel the one and work out its notice period and thus retain his O licences. If the route just stops, as his traffic manager did in Cornwall, then the O licences will be cancelled and not easily regained. I think Mr Hand needs to learn a lot more about the industry he wishes to join and at present it is not friendly to small operators due to the lack of low risk contract work. If only earning money was easy.

carlberry

Established Member
Thats an insight well written without any bias based on facts.
Newport are an operator that could do with some competition and didn't really raise their game when NAT were around (I suspect the reduction on the 15/16 was because NAT had finished). The Foxstar fleet (dispite being secondhand) are all newer than any of the Newport fleet and Newport still insist on exact fares which is a poor customer experiance.

So far Foxstar have run the service in line with the registration (as far as I know) so I'm not sure where the random ideas of terminating come from. If in time the service is stopped (in whatever way) then I'm sure there will be plenty of people saying 'I told you that would happen' however criticising the operation for doing something it hasn't done yet can hardly be described as being based on facts and written without bias!

ruthtom010

Newport are an operator that could do with some competition and didn't really raise their game when NAT were around (I suspect the reduction on the 15/16 was because NAT had finished). The Foxstar fleet (dispite being secondhand) are all newer than any of the Newport fleet and Newport still insist on exact fares which is a poor customer experiance.

So far Foxstar have run the service in line with the registration (as far as I know) so I'm not sure where the random ideas of terminating come from. If in time the service is stopped (in whatever way) then I'm sure there will be plenty of people saying 'I told you that would happen' however criticising the operation for doing something it hasn't done yet can hardly be described as being based on facts and written without bias!
I think it is an open question whether “no change” equates to a poor passenger experience as it reduces delays at stops.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Thanks for that richard13. I hope you enjoyed your visit to our city.

Despite Mr Hand's comment above that he was happy operating from Market Square (a separate bus station to Friars Walk which NT has exclusive of*) I think it's a major handicap. The same applies to NAT. Pensioners and non-ticket holders will take the first bus that comes along.

Local independent Phil Anslow realised that and insisted on running his Newport-Cwmbran service from the same or adjacent stands to Stagecoach's (perhaps rather too aggressively at first).

* Cardiff Bus operate the 30 jointly with NT from Friars Walk.

Last edited:

richard13

I think the situation in Newport is actually one of too much predatory competition using up too much money. Newport Bus's main business is the city services and it has to defend that. Previous competition will have drained cash that would be nice now in quality improvements. The predators still circle the bus station looking for an opportunity to pounce; NAT (Cardiff & Ringland), Stagecoach and Phil Anslow (Cwmbran), First (Chepstow). Hopefully now NAT has been taken over, Newport will be able to retain the school contracts in 2020 and build up some cash to spend.

As for the Fare Box system it may be a useful weapon in the bus wars. It makes the smart cards more user friendly and if you offer good discounts on monthly unlimited zonal travel you lock customers into to your services. On my few journeys not many paid in cash; I used a Newport City Day at £3.70.

I suspect that Foxstar one is not covering its costs given observations and the tone of the tweets. Also from Newport Bus's lack of action in challenging the new operator, such as putting the frequency back up. They are also advertising for more staff and so is staff retention an issue? The application for more O licences for Bristol I suspect was shelved pending the outcome in Newport as you can't expand when you have no track record. If Foxstar one collapses then the inquiry following could well lead to Mr Hand sadly exiting the bus industry until he has some experience of bus operation and business from elsewhere.

richard13

Thanks for that richard13. I hope you enjoyed your visit to our city.

Despite Mr Hand's comment above that he was happy operating from Market Square (a separate bus station to Friars Walk which NT has exclusive of*) I think it's a major handicap. The same applies to NAT. Pensioners and non-ticket holders will take the first bus that comes along.

Local independent Phil Anslow realised that and insisted on running his Newport-Cwmbran service from the same or adjacent stands to Stagecoach's (perhaps rather too aggressively at first).

* Cardiff Bus operate the 30 jointly with NT from Friars Walk.

Thanks too. Yes I did enjoy my day in an area I don't really know. I used my Newport City Day ticket to ride the 16 and some other bits. Newport Bus could be better, but it functioned well for me. Friar's Walk bus station had a busy buzz about it which was unusual and certainly not present in the Market Square stands. I will stop by again next time I come that way. It was good to observe what I had only read about.

RhysHand

Firstly Mr Hand is recorded as being the sole director... He and his company are of interest to... regulatory authorities and others. He is ... under public scrutiny

I have the depressing feeling that Mr Hand does not appreciate the standard business world....Most businesses... need industry appreciation and local market knowledge... I think Mr Hand needs to learn a lot more about the industry he wishes to join...

It makes me sad that you have felt the need to embellish your comments with such patronising and high handed remarks. Everyone is entitled to ride on our buses and those of our competitors and form their own views, and sometimes those views will be favourable to us and sometimes favourable to our competitors, and we respect that and take criticism on board and seek to learn from it. Why therefore the need to make everything so personal? As far as I know, we’ve never met or discussed business strategy so while I do respect your right to travel on bus services and make a critique, I don’t understand what insight you feel you have into my level of understanding or awareness of the business world.

And just while I’m on my soapbox, I’m not sure I quite get the need for you and others to refer rather pompously to “Mr Hand”. The name’s Rhys. I don’t stand on ceremony, if anyone on this forum were stood next to me at the bar right now I’d gladly buy them a beer, so feel free to call me Rhys - unless you’d rather I call you Mr 13 ;)

In terms of the substance of your views, I’m a businessman and I take risks. Calculated risks, I hope, but no-one ever developed a successful business without taking risks. As with all my other ventures, we’ve gone into The One with eyes open, knowing that there’s no guarantee of success. But our local market knowledge told us that the frequency of buses between Newport and Bettws was too low for the size of the market, the service quality poor and the customer satisfaction low. In a deregulated market place that creates an opportunity. Time will tell if the opportunity is big enough, but we’re very happy with the results so far.

There is a slightly immature view of competition held by many industry observers (I don’t necessarily ascribe this view to you in particular, Richard) that success is defined as the other party going out of business, or being “run off the road”. In most retail markets, competitors coexist quite happily. If Persil launch a new brand of washing powder, clearly they’re hoping to gain market share, but nobody expects Ariel to go out of business as a result. Likewise, nowhere in our strategy is there an expectation that three vehicle FoxStar will put Newport Bus out of business. We simply see a commercial opportunity that we will exploit to the best of our ability, and leave it to them to respond as they see fit.

Would it have been our choice to run from Market Square? No, probably not originally. But we’re mature enough to realise that we can’t just turn up and expect the authorities to start moving long established services round just to make room for us. Friars Walk is busy and commercially attractive, but it’s also quite cramped and congested and nobody would have been well served by the daily spats over stand occupancy that have characterised competition in some other places. We therefore seek to maximise the positive benefits of having almost exclusive space at Market Square, and many of our customers prefer the calmer, more relaxed environment.

Your points about WiFi and ticketing are well made and these are areas that are under active development at the moment.

Finally, while I can appreciate that Market Square often doesn’t seem busy, I suspect if you’d lingered a while in Bettws itself, you would have seen a very healthy take up of our services there and that might have given you a view of our viability which is more in line with the reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.